UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

1 hour ago, Lumbini said:

Now I understand why sometimes when Uber drivers pick me up they ask " where you go "
I get irritated and say " why you ask I entered it in the app when I called you .
I guess the have not completely accepted the ride yet and if they ask and not want to go can cancel without too much drama for them ... hmmm , interesting

We had a terrible time with Uber a few days ago.  After 3 tries, we gave up.  The last one went to the destination, not the pickup location, and asked where we were!

Used GrabCar and they were there in a few minutes.  We've used Uber a lot lately.  Not sure what was going on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomster said:

Grab drivers know the destination before they accept the fare, Uber don't. 

Not sure if this is correct. I think they are just confirming. For example, a condo address can have two (or three) addresses on Google Maps, one by the condo name and one by the street name and number. Sometimes a third one by a side street name and number. By double-checking they can figure out alternate routes.

22 hours ago, tomster said:

Grab drivers know the destination before they accept the fare, Uber don't. 

What a silly thing to say.  UBER drivers know the location because we gave them the directions on the map . Just follow the map , how hard can it be ? 

UBER is still my first choice in Pattaya , just avoid areas where the taxi mafia are working. 

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, tomster said:

Not sure quite what to make of your comment, as Uber drivers definatley cannot see the final destination before they accept the fare, they can only see that when they arrive at the pickup:

http://maximumridesharingprofits.com/cant-uber-drivers-see-passengers-destination-accepting-trip/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/can-you-see-the-destination-before-accepting-a-fare.139971/

Very interesting.  Thanks for those links.

• Like 1

About two weeks ago I took Uber in Pattaya for the second time. Somewhere near N Pattaya Rd and Beach Rd a police officer stopped our car. He was with a man in street clothes who seemed to be calling the shots and seemed to me more like a vigilante taxi type.

Both of them kept trying to take pictures/videos of us, the driver and us two passengers. I covered my face and told them I did not want to be photographed.

After waiting a few minutes, we got out of the car and started walking to get a Songthaew. The vigilante man kindly asked if we would like a taxi. I said no.

After walking a few hundred meters, the cop and his acolyte drove up to us asking us to return to make a statement. The cop spoke no English. The vigilante did all the talking. I repeatedly asked him if he was a police officer. He wouldn’t say.  I asked if we were being arrested or taken to a police station. He said, No. I said then I’d rather not go anywhere with you. Whereupon he asked me to state to the police officer that it had indeed been an Uber ride. I said yes, I had no intention of lying. They were happy with that and we left. They were extremely polite to us at all times.

This really has put me off using Uber again in Pattaya, much to my chagrin. I use them often elsewhere. Is this a frequent occurrence here?

6 hours ago, Lumbini said:

FlaGuy35 your STORY is a little hard to believe to say the lest , are you a taxi driver ?

Yes, it is hard to believe, but it wouldn't exactly be shocking news in Pattaya, would it?

Btw, if anyone is having any hesitations about Uber, they can try Grab (they seem to be better "connected" in Thailand and Pattaya in particular). Also, go ahead and sit in the front passenger seat. Don't look like you're being chauffeured around.

Because a good thing has to be shared.

75 baht off GRAB car and taxi promo code: HEYPTY (can be used 3 times )

I believe it's valid till October.

On a side note, Grab (and probably Uber) is more expensive here than in BKK, predictably though. A 4 km Grab car ride was 190 baht, before the coupon, at 1 pm. 190 baht in BKK would be a 10 km ride at least (with not too much traffic).

Edited by elzach
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, elzach said:

Because a good thing has to be shared.

75 baht off GRAB car and taxi promo code: HEYPTY (can be used 3 times )

I believe it's valid till October.

On a side note, Grab (and probably Uber) is more expensive here than in BKK, predictably though. A 4 km ride was 190 baht, before the coupon, at 1 pm. 190 baht in BKK would be a 10 km ride at least (with not too much traffic).

Yeah, that sound about right. At least double Bangkok based on distance and that's considered a good deal here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No promo codes in Pattaya since back in March.  You just have to pay normal rates.   And never book a car outside malls, big c , bus station etc. I always walk to one of the side sois and wait.  

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I got that 1ROT1030 offer in an e-mail, and I wonder if it is a targeted offer, not for everybody.

Yes I think so , I got a lot of offers last year for Pattaya,  but not anymore . 

• 2 weeks later...

Get ฿40 off next 10 rides ....

Enter the code 3ROT1113

I have to laugh when I see a taxi in Pattaya now when Uber and the app is such a superior way to travel around the area [emoji106]

I remember a while back government was telling taxi drivers they had to use ( turn on meters for customers now ) meters now but that never happened . My experience with Uber in this area even better than Bangkok which was excellent but here even more important as there is no BTS or MRT . I hit the app and in minutes I have car and driver and all the information about my driver with full details and history of my trip stored .

5 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Enter the code 3ROT1113

Again, doesnt work for me.  I wonder if it got something to do that I installed the app first time in Chiang Mai . And I got lot of promotions up there.  

Then I asked UBER to change my address to Pattaya And then nothing , no offers . I asked them to send me promo codes but everyone I tried does not work . 

Maybe I should uninstall the app , and register with another e-mail address.  

Edited by balo

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, elzach said:

Hi all, any promo codes for Grab or Uber recently?

nope, the Promos have all but dried out.

Even worse, GRAB in PTY now charges peak-hour rates AT ALL TIMES 24/7, no matter from where to where or what time of the day. A ride that had cost 120 in the past is now 180 (and that is for a distance of just 3 KM).

No Promos at UBER atm either.

I wonder if that has to do with the Chinese travel season in full swing after CNY?

No matter how, not a good development

• Thanks 1