UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

I've always paid cash using Grab (both Car & Taxi) and have had promotion codes applied.  In fact, I didn't realize you could pay Grab by credit card.

One significant difference between GrabCar and UberX is that Grab Car specifies an exact fare before the ride regardless of time elapsed/actual route, whereas UberX suggests a price range and then calculates the final price based on time and distance actually driven.

Aha. I thought Grab was a range too. How do you enter the promo code in Grab? I didn't see where. Maybe when you actually book a ride? With Uber you go into the payments area and enter it.

Current Grab code - -

Apply "APRIL" code. Get 75THB off 5 times for Grab Pattaya & Chonburi only. Today - 9 Apr 2017

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

How do you enter the promo code in Grab? I didn't see where.

On the opening screen for the Grab app (at least on iPhone) there is a "Promo" field two lines below the PICK-UP and DROP-OFF fields.  You do have to enter the promo code each time you request a Grab ride, unlike Uber where you store it as a Payment and it "sticks.'

Great. So that explains why I didn't see a place to enter the code as I haven't booked anything with them since I heard about it. I thought it might be related to setting up a card payment option. Good to hear you can use with cash.

I like that Uber and Grab seem to be directly competing with each other. 

Uber vs Grab is definitely good for us consumers.  However, I'm giving favor to Uber at this point.  In my mind, Grab only introduced GrabCar as a competitive match to UberX, i.e. had Uber not come to Pattaya, we'd be stuck with only the uber-expensive (pun intended) GrabTaxis.

Add that to the problems I had with GrabTaxi over the years (*several* no-shows for strategically-timed rides booked the night before to Pattaya Nua Bus terminal for the once-daily bus to Hua Hin and a driver who routed me from the bus station to Na Jomtien via Beach Road so he could check-in with a taxi stand at Royal Garden -- had him do that twice) and I'm tending to give Uber my business at this point.

Also, the times I fired up the app for GrabCar, they seem to have far fewer cars on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, can someone in Pattaya tell me how much it would normally be on UberX and GrabCar from R Con WongAmat Naklua Soi 16 to Dolphin roundabout and also to Beach rd & Pattaya Klang rd?

Also, from experience, would it be easy to get one at let's say 11pm from Beach Rd soi 4 back to Naklua soi 16?

42 minutes ago, elzach said:

Hi guys, can someone in Pattaya tell me how much it would normally be on UberX and GrabCar from R Con WongAmat Naklua Soi 16 to Dolphin roundabout and also to Beach rd & Pattaya Klang rd?

Also, from experience, would it be easy to get one at let's say 11pm from Beach Rd soi 4 back to Naklua soi 16?

http://uberestimate.com/

12 hours ago, elzach said:

Thanks, this is great! I got estimates for 105-135 baht, either way. I also got indication of a car picking up in 12 minutes. I wonder if that waiting time is "real-world" also.

Any idea anyone about GrabCar?

For that you'll need to install the Grab app and enter your test trips. You can see the fares before ordering a car.  Yes the cars often come quickly and in my experience the estimates are close for both apps. The advantage I see to Grab is that they tell you the fare compared to Uber where they give you a range. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't realized that Grab used "surge pricing," but today (Sunday @330pm) from Central Festival to central Jomtien, the fare was quoted as B230 highlighted in red with the comment "High fare due to demand."

I switched to UberX and got the ride for B112.78, actual final fare.

19 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I switched to UberX and got the ride for B112.78, actual final fare.

You should always check both apps before your ride.  Actually UBER also sometimes charge a higher fare during rush hours. 

The sent it to my Uber app when it started and I saved it but can't find it . When I have time I will call and or email customer support ( they always get back to me and get again ) and get the code that has promotion for 50 off on 12 rides taken on weekends . My rides are 100 each so that cut the fare in half [emoji106]

1 minute ago, Lumbini said:

The sent it to my Uber app when it started and I saved it but can't find it . When I have time I will call and or email customer support ( they always get back to me and get again ) and get the code that has promotion for 50 off on 12 rides taken on weekends . My rides are 100 each so that cut the fare in half emoji106.png

You should be able to see your current code in your Uber app.

I think the code he received is the first time offer for new customers. Normally all promo codes are sent to your email or it shows in the app when you open it.

When I first signed up I also got 50 baht off the fares.

I think the code he received is the first time offer for new customers. Normally all promo codes are sent to your email or it shows in the app when you open it.

When I first signed up I also got 50 baht off the fares.

Nope , and here is another one ( 70 Baht off your next 10 rides for next 7 days with up to 10 rides discounted )
Promotional code ILOVE

Use every day no problem in fact one of the best services ever added in this area . How many who actually post here about Uber / Taxi mafia drama have ever used the service ? I would say NONE [emoji13]

5 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Nope , and here is another one ( 70 Baht off your next 10 rides for next 7 days with up to 10 rides discounted )
Promotional code ILOVE

Thanks for that. Seems to expire May 10 though. I didn't get an SMS about that one. How did you hear about it?

4 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Use every day no problem in fact one of the best services ever added in this area . How many who actually post here about Uber / Taxi mafia drama have ever used the service ? I would say NONE emoji13.png

sounds like you use the service often.I am curious how much Uber would charge from..let's say....Bali Hai pier to Central mall where Hilton is

sounds like you use the service often.I am curious how much Uber would charge from..let's say....Bali Hai pier to Central mall where Hilton is

Load the app on one of your devices ( iOS or Android and enter that pick up and destination

Just remember to choose a pickup point far away from taxi or bus stations, and also not directly outside Central.  Unless you want to see a fight between the taxi mob and Uber drivers.....  I have not experienced it yet but the drivers are trying to avoid any conflicts. 

49 minutes ago, balo said:

Just remember to choose a pickup point far away from taxi or bus stations, and also not directly outside Central.  Unless you want to see a fight between the taxi mob and Uber drivers.....  I have not experienced it yet but the drivers are trying to avoid any conflicts. 

I send a message now asking the driver where they will pick me up.

And, on one of the apps (I forget now which) you cannot set up a pick up spot directly in front of Central Festival mall on Beach Road.  It had automatically set the pin for the next corner (by the car park entrance) and I tried to drag the pin to directly in front of the mall.  The pin drifts back to the next corner.  It won't stay at the point I wanted it to.  I assume that's to avoid contact/conflict with taxi drivers who are directly in front of Central Festival.

i love uber because you can snag a driver that has a good review score.

i understand why thai taxi industry is so threatened by this. they will need to be honest and fair to survive now or starve. they really need to be part of uners review system to do that.

Archived