UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

21 hours ago, JimCrane said:

they will need to be honest

not in a million year..this is the wild east.

they come from all over the country to make a few bucks.

There is just too many

bars

eateries

taxis

beach chairs etc.

and not enough customers...

guess what happens next.

many(not all) become more dishonest, more aggressive,more greedy,more violent

human nature

In laymans terms tell me how this works ??  How do I start etc. Not being pedantic but am guessing others than me may want to ask the same question etc..... Is it a Thai app etc etc

On 5/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Chivas said:

In laymans terms tell me how this works ??  How do I start etc. Not being pedantic but am guessing others than me may want to ask the same question etc..... Is it a Thai app etc etc

If you want step-by-step hand-holding, first tell us if you have an Android, Windows or Apple device.

If you just want a general overview: you download the Uber or Grab app like you do any other app from the relevant App Store on your phone.  Then, once you have downloaded the app, open the app and follow the directions.  It's not difficult.  You can check fares by entering the pick-up and drop-off point before you commit to ordering a ride.  Once you have committed to a ride (i.e. you submitted a request and you are notified that a driver accepted) you are supplied with the license number and make/model of the car along with a small photo of the driver.

I'd recommend downloading both apps (Uber and Grab) and when you need a ride, check the fare on both apps.  Sometimes one of them will have "surge pricing" in effect (rush hour pricing) which can be considerably higher, while the other is offering the regular (i.e. non-surge) pricing.

If you're afraid of smart phones as I know some older folks are then maybe Uber is not for you . 

Plus the drivers rate you. Some rude bugger rated me less than a 5 the other day. Messed up my perfect rating. I know who it is too. This is war. Make them wait for you over 5 minutes and you might get a one. I reckon little mercy for the technically illiterate. I've never made any of them wait at all.

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Plus the drivers rate you

I didn't know that , where do you see your own ratings ?  I always rate between 3 and 5 .  

Simply open up the app, go to the profile icon in the top left, go to Help > Account and payment > Account settings and ratings > I'd like to know my rating > Submit. Ta-da! A window should popup with your rating. You can also watch this video from Uber to see exactly how to find out your rating.How to See Your Uber Passenger Rating |
https://www.popsugar.com/tech/How-See-Your-Uber-Passenger-Rating-36846438

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Ok just loaded the app, so will give it a go soon. More than likely will use it in Bangkok next week. Anybody been dragged out of an Uber car yet by the mafia??!

Nope , only a female driver that was dragged out, she worked as a property agent and had passengers from China . If they decide to attack , it will be the driver who is in danger, not you.
  • Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 6:47 PM, balo said:

I didn't know that , where do you see your own ratings ?  I always rate between 3 and 5 .  

I think every avg rating below 4.5 gets the drivers into trouble.

You should only rate someone below 5 if something REALLY goes wrong.

Of all my UBER rides in Asian countries, I only rated one driver less than 5 (gave him a 4), even though several rides were far from perfect. Plus one driver in Jakarta did not show up at all, despite being just a few Meters away from where I was waiting, but he pretended to have executed and finished my ride, so yes I gave him a  "1" and wrote an email to the customer service (which they responded to)

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 6:25 PM, Jingthing said:

Plus the drivers rate you. Some rude bugger rated me less than a 5 the other day. Messed up my perfect rating. I know who it is too. This is war. Make them wait for you over 5 minutes and you might get a one. I reckon little mercy for the technically illiterate. I've never made any of them wait at all.

How to find out your own rating ?

7 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

How to find out your own rating ?

Okay I found out by myself, thanks to my know-it-all uncle, Mr. Google.

Hope it is allowed to post the link here:

https://www.popsugar.co.uk/tech/How-See-Your-Uber-Passenger-Rating-42424799

my rating is 4.71 - I had to cancel one trip a few weeks ago, maybe that driver gave me a bad rating ?

otherwise did not have any negative experience and certainly provided no reason for any driver to give me a poor rating

25 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

I think every avg rating below 4.5 gets the drivers into trouble.

You should only rate someone below 5 if something REALLY goes wrong.

Of all my UBER rides in Asian countries, I only rated one driver less than 5 (gave him a 4), even though several rides were far from perfect. Plus one driver in Jakarta did not show up at all, despite being just a few Meters away from where I was waiting, but he pretended to have executed and finished my ride, so yes I gave him a  "1" and wrote an email to the customer service (which they responded to)

The same thing happened to me here in Bangkok last week.

UBER drivers are expected to accept a certain number of rides or risk having their rating reduced by UBER. 

I'm quite sure the driver accepted a ride he had no intention of honoring. He just drove around nearby hoping I would become irritated and cancel, the UBER driver eventually parked up 20 mins away and waited me out for 1 hr until he eventually cancelled. 

I've encountered a couple of UBER drivers using this 'Thainess' when they don't really want the trip but have to accept it. 

Recognizing this 'game' and after 10 mins of being messed about it was clear what this driver was up to. I used GRAB and was home before the UBER driver gave up and finally cancelled on me. 

I also reported this to UBER but was disappointed with the generic 'we have resolved your issue' response...

That said: Only 2 issues with UBER after using them for 2 years in 4 countries - when drawing comparison with the regular taxi's UBER's service seems flawless !

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Recognizing this 'game' and after 10 mins of being messed about it was clear what this driver was up to

I have experienced this myself in Pattaya , but then I call the driver up, and ask what he's up to, and suddenly he's on his way , maybe changed his mind when he understood I was serious about being picked up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I have experienced this myself in Pattaya , but then I call the driver up, and ask what he's up to, and suddenly he's on his way , maybe changed his mind when he understood I was serious about being picked up. 

Yeah, happened to me once.

I didn't understand what he was up to at the time but now I do. 

At booking, he was minutes away, but he just stayed parked for 15 minutes.

I reckon he thought I would give up. 

When he finally showed up, he acted sheepish and had no excuse. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lumbini said:

This happens to me also and if you cancel you get charged , so sometimes I just wait but then have had driver cancel and that is double the charge of me canceling .

Unclear on what you just said.

Surely you don't get charged if the driver cancels before you do, right? 

If they really cancel and you are still charged you need to complain to UBER , they are breaking the rules. You will get your money back for sure.

• Like 1

Perhaps some of you guys can weigh in on this, especially regarding using promo codes for a new sign up.

I had a promo code by Chase for 30 USD, which was not honored by Uber on my first ride in Europe, with the reason/excuse being that it was in USD and not in Euro. And even though nowhere in the terms and conditions by Chase it was stated that it has to be in USD.

So if I use a promo code in USD by a US credit card, I can't use it in Thailand?

Maybe some of you have across this issue.

Edited by elzach

Perhaps some of you guys can weigh in on this, especially regarding using promo codes for a new sign up.

I had a promo code by Chase for 30 USD, which was not honored by Uber on my first ride in Europe, with the reason/excuse being that it was in USD and not in Euro. And even though nowhere in the terms and conditions by Chase it was stated that it has to be in USD.

So if I use a promo code in USD by a US credit card, I can't use it in Thailand?

Maybe some of you have across this issue.

The promotion codes are only valid locally when you sign up. So if you signed up in the US it can only be used there.
  • Like 1

In Bangkok the drivers are now calling you 'asking' you to cancel for them, as for Uber, the drivers can't see the destination of where you wanted to go, and if they don't accept the job or cancel too much, they don't get the bonus and might not be sent further jobs from the system, so they just blindly accepting all jobs now

On 6/9/2017 at 9:50 PM, balo said:

The promotion codes are only valid locally when you sign up. So if you signed up in the US it can only be used there.

Thanks. I understand. But if I sign up in Thailand using the Chase promo code? It seems Uber is going by the promo currency, which sounds like a grey area.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tolsti said:

not seen any recently. They seem to be concentrating on BKK for promos at the moment

Yes, in BKK there are plenty.

On a sidenote, how feasible is to get a Grab car at or near the Pattaya north bus station (or other major stations) with the touts watching?

Yes, in BKK there are plenty.

On a sidenote, how feasible is to get a Grab car at or near the Pattaya north bus station (or other major stations) with the touts watching?

I always go in family mart and call and set pick up in front of family mart then when I get in I get in front seat and play like I know the driver and he is friend .

• Like 1

Grab drivers know the destination before they accept the fare, Uber don't. 

Grab is first choice for me now, rarely use Uber. 

Now I understand why sometimes when Uber drivers pick me up they ask " where you go "
I get irritated and say " why you ask I entered it in the app when I called you .
I guess the have not completely accepted the ride yet and if they ask and not want to go can cancel without too much drama for them ... hmmm , interesting
  • Like 2