UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

On 2/28/2018 at 3:34 PM, Lumbini said:

Uber: Get ฿50 off 10 rides till 04/03. Apply code 2BKK0226

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

for which City? And how to "apply" ? Unlike Grab, I never found out where to insert potential promo codes. I don't have a "promotion" button on my menu as others obviously have (and I have always updated the app)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t find another topic but I’ve seen in news that Grab will be taking over from Uber in SE Asia within the next few weeks. I’ve never bothered to install the Grab app but it looks like we’ll have to switch over fairly soon...

5 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

Can’t find another topic but I’ve seen in news that Grab will be taking over from Uber in SE Asia within the next few weeks. I’ve never bothered to install the Grab app but it looks like we’ll have to switch over fairly soon...

Yep, you will.

There goes the power of COMPETITION.

8 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Yesterday Uber sold its entire SE Asia business to Grab.

It seems that the "local" brand (Grab, based in Singapore) had far better political connections. The latest evidence of that was in the Philippines a few months ago where the DOT basically suspended Uber.

Now in Thailand, as others have reported, GrabCar rates have already gone up markedly since last year. In BKK last month I was quoted a rate of 350 baht from Sutthisan to Don Mueang at 8:15 pm ( last year it would have been 200-250). In Pattaya Klang last month, I had two Grab drivers cancel on me, back to back, 10 min after they confirmed (i.e. practically zero enforcement of policy on drivers by Grab).

GrabTaxi all of a sudden makes more sense.

I've got the mail too, Uber will be canceled from April 7. Grab only , still cheaper than the taxi mafia in Pattaya but I will use my bike instead unless I have to carry a lot of stuff.

They are both great services and all of the Uber drivers I have talked to will be moving over to Grab do really ride sharing will be even more powerful making the concept of a normal taxi even more dated and ridiculous .

They are both great services and all of the Uber drivers I have talked to will be moving over to Grab do really ride sharing will be even more powerful making the concept of a normal taxi even more dated and ridiculous .

But won’t it affect the prices if there is no competition, as JT mentioned earlier?

6 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Why would the concept of a taxi be dated and ridiculous?

Why even bother with Uber or Grab? Just talk to someone on the street and ask them if they want to make some extra money and drive you around wherever you want to go. They will do it 
cheaper as well. There is nothing like good social skills.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

You'll have to blame Uber (or their major Japanese shareholders/owners) for that!

In Europe there are many competitors to Uber. Local radio cab offices in the UK now operate like Uber too. Uber has been banned in London BTW. 

20 hours ago, The manic said:

In Europe there are many competitors to Uber. Local radio cab offices in the UK now operate like Uber too. Uber has been banned in London BTW. 

In Bangkok there are 100,000 competitors to Uber...cheap metered taxis.

This is Thailand so I'm not sure what the relevance of Uber being banned in London is?

Why would the concept of a taxi be dated and ridiculous?

Why even bother with Uber or Grab? Just talk to someone on the street and ask them if they want to make some extra money and drive you around wherever you want to go. They will do it 

cheaper as well. There is nothing like good social skills.

Because regular taxi does not use an app and if you don't understand all the game changing aspects of a company like Uber or grab offering all the features of an app perhaps your too old .

It's always easy to see from what someone posts when they are commenting about a service or product they have never used or experienced .

8 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Because regular taxi does not use an app and if you don't understand all the game changing aspects of a company like Uber or grab offering all the features of an app perhaps your too old .

It's always easy to see from what someone posts when they are commenting about a service or product they have never used or experienced .

So because I do think things through I am old?

From both your posts I can clearly see you are pretty naive. 

There is room for both business models to work. 

Since I have no need for Taxi's or Uber when I am on holiday, I don't see why I should use it. And in my home country, I have my own car. I have been an UberX driver btw. But it wasn't worth my time.

Uber isn't for every market. Wherever you have good public transport, Uber fails and normal Taxi services thrive. Without good local regulations it is open for abuse and will automatically fail.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, Just Weird said:

In Bangkok there are 100,000 competitors to Uber...cheap metered taxis.

This is Thailand so I'm not sure what the relevance of Uber being banned in London is?

The relevance is Uber can be delicensed and that there are many app based alternatives to Uber. It is additional  information about an international product. I live in Pattaya where it offers a potentially good service. 

14 hours ago, The manic said:

The relevance is Uber can be delicensed and that there are many app based alternatives to Uber. It is additional  information about an international product. I live in Pattaya where it offers a potentially good service. 

Uber isn't (or wasn't, as it is ceasing to exist) licenced anywhere in Thailand, it has always been an illegal service, so it cannot be delicenced.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:08 AM, Just Weird said:

Uber isn't (or wasn't, as it is ceasing to exist) licenced anywhere in Thailand, it has always been an illegal service, so it cannot be delicenced.

By that logic it can't be taken over by Grab. I'm in one now. You are not contributing much to this dialogue,  Just bickering and trying to be clever. 

32 minutes ago, The manic said:

By that logic it can't be taken over by Grab. I'm in one now. You are not contributing much to this dialogue,  Just bickering and trying to be clever. 

I'm not bickering, neither am I trying to be clever.  I commented perfectly reasonably on a post that you made in a public forum but it seems that you didn't like it.  My contribution is no less worthy than your dialogue.

Your idea of logic is odd, just because a company's services are not registered in Thailand and, therefore, illegal in this country, does not mean that the company cannot exist or be taken over! 

If you're in Thailand now then you are in an illegally-operating Uber vehicle, whether you like it or not, but that does not stop the company from being subject to takeover.

Archived