Songkran when does the water action starts

CanNot

Hi 

We plan a road trip from Bangkok to chang mai and back on the Songkran holidays. When they actually start the water powder stuff so we can go back before and my car stays out of the dangerous time. :) 

Thanks in advance. 

Songkran is officially April 13th to 15th, so certainly those days. Some areas start early / finish late, I'll let those with more local knowledge fill in the blanks.

For driving I would avoid lunchtime on Wednesday the 12th to morning on Monday the 17th as being the times when the loonies come out to play.

I don't mind the water and will soak with the best of them, but avoid driving further then necessary over the holiday. I certainly wouldn't be contemplating Bangkok - Chiang Mai unless you can go early and return late.

I try to avoid the roads mainly because they are chocked full of families going home to villages. 

I do remember that in chiang mai they used to throw water for two weeks, but a local can inform you better re nowadays.

Whatever you do, stay safe on the road...:wai:

Edited by AhFarangJa

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Songkran is officially April 13th to 15th, so certainly those days. Some areas start early / finish late, I'll let those with more local knowledge fill in the blanks.

For driving I would avoid lunchtime on Wednesday the 12th to morning on Monday the 17th as being the times when the loonies come out to play.

I don't mind the water and will soak with the best of them, but avoid driving further then necessary over the holiday. I certainly wouldn't be contemplating Bangkok - Chiang Mai unless you can go early and return late.

Already booked for Vietnam,haven't had a Songkran in years.

I hate that nonsense....

I leave the country or stay home every year.

I almost lost my eye sight in one eye from an idiot with a water blaster.

I feel sorry for tourists who come here after spending thousands of dollars and are shocked to learn they have to spend several days or more in a swim suit and t shirt.

I wonder how many thousands, even perhaps millions of dollars of damage to cell phones, cameras, laptops and personal property there are damaged by water countrywide during the madness.

16 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I hate that nonsense....

I leave the country or stay home every year.

I almost lost my eye sight in one eye from an idiot with a water blaster.

I feel sorry for tourists who come here after spending thousands of dollars and are shocked to learn they have to spend several days or more in a swim suit and t shirt.

I wonder how many thousands, even perhaps millions of dollars of damage to cell phones, cameras, laptops and personal property there are damaged by water countrywide during the madness.

ba humbug?  I kind of feel the same way . but what the hey its their party. when In rome.

5 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

ba humbug?  I kind of feel the same way . but what the hey its their party. when In rome.

After 11 years of living here and almost losing an eye they can have their party!

27 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

All too often, no not really.  Pay close attention to who's actually out-of-control and causing the most mayhem.  Too many western losers just using Songkran as an opportunity to act out and be punks.  I suspect that every year there are incidents involving Thais who react badly to the abuse of these farang knobheads and we just don't generally get to read much about it.   Songkran simply isn't the meaningful tradition it used to be so much as just an excuse to harass, particularly for these pathetic western lamers. 

The past couple years I stocked up on food and locked myself in the house.  I skipped Songkran on purpose.  

The only entertainment was watching a drunk teenager kiss the pavement while showing off on his motorbike in front of the house one morning.  He didn't ride his motorbike again for a few days.  One less dangerous idiot on the soi.

What a bunch of old fogies--too old to be a kid again. I have a great time every Songkran; it's fun, if you are prepared.

One friend has found a way he thinks works. He has a five-story shop building downtown--the building's water tank and pump is on the roof. He has created a covered roof area with a bar, BBQ, lounge chairs, and potted plants--a real party area in the sky. He simply fills buckets full of water and drops them on the revelers in the street. Never get wet unless you want too--but a water fight generally surfaces between the party-people on the roof.

I like riding my Harley through town--with a full faced helmet, of course--trying to see if can get from point A to point B without getting wet; I'm getting pretty good at it. Points A and B are usually local bars where you can sit and watch the action or get involved--your choice.

It is a Thai tradition it's actually kinda fun to although last year I wasn't physically able to do all 3 days of it.  So I stayed home for part of it big deal.  Regardless we as foreigners choosing to live here can either go out and enjoy it or stay home.  There's also the option of whining about it online I guess but for those of you who hate it so much you can always go back home.  

What a bunch of old fogies--too old to be a kid again. I have a great time every Songkran; it's fun, if you are prepared.

One friend has found a way he thinks works. He has a five-story shop building downtown--the building's water tank and pump is on the roof. He has created a covered roof area with a bar, BBQ, lounge chairs, and potted plants--a real party area in the sky. He simply fills buckets full of water and drops them on the revelers in the street. Never get wet unless you want too--but a water fight generally surfaces between the party-people on the roof.

I like riding my Harley through town--with a full faced helmet, of course--trying to see if can get from point A to point B without getting wet; I'm getting pretty good at it. Points A and B are usually local bars where you can sit and watch the action or get involved--your choice.

You can always throw the potted plants if the water runs out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It's the best time of the year to be in Thailand. Have never had so much fun here  until I started to stay on for Songkran. This will be my fourth one but unfortunately will only be here until the 14 th. Does anywhere in Thailand start before the 13 th?? I heard Pattaya goes until the 19 th.  

Some poster commented on phones getting wet and an eye boo boo ? everybody I saw has a water proof plastic bag around their neck and most wear big eye googles, that takes care of those issues easily. 

Its more fun to get a huge gun that goes long distance because then you can hit someone 15 meters away and by the time it hits them you can be just an innocent bystander with your gun down and just looking around! 

Hitting crabby looking people on bikes is also a good one. 

Why do so many old farts not like to get wet and have fun. It really releases lots of stress at the end of the day if you get lots of good hits. Getting hit is half the fun too. Loosen up everybody or just hanker down and be miserable. 

What a stupid idea to travel Bkk to Chiangmai and back by road for Songkran. I did this trip on my first trip to Thailand many years ago and was travelling with a Thai family who should have known better. The road to Chiangmai was gridlocked for most of the way. Plus there was no way to dodge the water, even had some nut poke a water blaster thru a slightly open window to shower the inside of the van, However I was younger in those days and he ended up in hospital with a smashed face. However inside the car was soaked as it was a very large gun type water blaster. Best to leave well before Songkran and leave well after its all over.  

4 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

What a stupid idea to travel Bkk to Chiangmai and back by road for Songkran. I did this trip on my first trip to Thailand many years ago and was travelling with a Thai family who should have known better. The road to Chiangmai was gridlocked for most of the way. Plus there was no way to dodge the water, even had some nut poke a water blaster thru a slightly open window to shower the inside of the van, However I was younger in those days and he ended up in hospital with a smashed face. However inside the car was soaked as it was a very large gun type water blaster. Best to leave well before Songkran and leave well after its all over.  

I've made road trips before from Bangkok to Korat to Chiangmai it's actually a beautiful drive but I sure wouldn't try it during Songkran or really during any major holiday.  I wouldn't even want to fly during Songkran.  He might want to rethink his travel plans.  

23 minutes ago, JFtheman said:

I've made road trips before from Bangkok to Korat to Chiangmai it's actually a beautiful drive but I sure wouldn't try it during Songkran or really during any major holiday.  I wouldn't even want to fly during Songkran.  He might want to rethink his travel plans.  

Totally agree I have made the trip several times over the years and its a great drive when not done during an official holiday period.

OP SIMPLE solution add a week or so to your trip go at least 4days before official start and come back 3 days after official end. It may well go on for longer in Chiang Mai but elsewhere on the route down it will have finished. Above all enjoy its a great drive plenty to see.

Edited by Gonefortea