Video evidence to the rescue - taxi driver's story at odds with footage

webfact

Video evidence to the rescue - taxi driver's story at odds with footage

5am.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A video of a woman's harrowing journey in a Bangkok cab told a different story to that which the driver told police.

The poster of the clip - named as Sirikan Pangkoki Makrod on Facebook - said that she had hailed the cab at Town in Town to go to a toy store near a market.

The driver started driving erratically but when he saw her filming he went quiet.

They argue about his attitude and driving then finally she hands over 500 baht - he grabs her phone scratching her in the process. He won't give any change.

Then, off video, she called police who came to question the driver. Four or five officers arrived to help her and she said thanks to them in her post.

Thai Rath online contacted Khok Kham police later who said that the driver told them the argument was over the fact that the passenger was eating chicken or pork on a stick and making his cab smelly.

He said he opened the window to freshen up the cab but the passenger got stroppy. When it came to the destination the driver said that she changed her mind about where to be dropped off.

The driver told police that she paid with 100 baht.

The 500 baht could not be found anywhere - but after some time he agreed to give her change from a 500 baht note.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-07

18 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Go to the first post, scroll down to the second photograph - do you see the white arrow on the screen? Click on it and the video begins.

I see two pictures stuck together side by side. No picture lower down to scroll to. But I did run the mouse all over the image I could see and found no link. 

This is not the first time I couldn't find the video link on a story that centers on a video.

Using chrome on Windows 8

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I see two pictures stuck together side by side. No picture lower down to scroll to. But I did run the mouse all over the image I could see and found no link. 

This is not the first time I couldn't find the video link on a story that centers on a video.

Take it back to Panthip for a refund! :tongue:

am I missing something here? so he stole her money and told the police a load of lies

and his punishment was he had to eventually give the money he stole back?

after all said and done why did they have to wait for him to agree to pay her back

the 500 baht note is clear as day on the pictures? is it poor reporting? if not  

is that likely to deter any other taxi's or will it just make the bad ones a bit more camera

shy ? come on do the job properly and ban/fine and punish bad behaviour. BIB.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

OT - are you using klite - if so go to the tweak tool and MS codec tweaks and make sure nothing is ticked also check you have flash installed

these drivers don't like being videoed do they

25 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

30%  chance of getting a numb nut driver , Better to stop and get out,

Yes and no, depending on location and time of day. I had a crooked driver from BKK a couple of weeks ago: a taxi from the queue but with a hot meter, running about X 3 the correct rate, the meter partly obscured by a floral display. When I pointed it out to him, the driver feigned a lack of understanding but spent the next 20 minutes talking on the 'phone in hushed tones. By some miracle the meter reverted to accuracy and by the time we reached Chidlom, it was pretty much the correct fare.Had I not questioned the meter, the fare would have been in the order of 1,000 rather than the correct (+/-) 300.

I paid the fare but proceeded to report him to DLT because he will do it again and again and again. 

It's rare for me to use airport cabs, preferring a car service or the train most times. But this was the 3rd crooked driver in 18 months or so (3/maybe 12). 

I got Bangkok's oldest taxi from Suvarnabhumi recently. The engine conked out twice on the trip to town, just what you want after a long flight and no sleep. Manic laughter from the driver. Luckily we made it to my destination and I didn't have to get out on the expressway.  I'm going back to using a private pick-up service. 

6 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Yes and no, depending on location and time of day. I had a crooked driver from BKK a couple of weeks ago: a taxi from the queue but with a hot meter, running about X 3 the correct rate, the meter partly obscured by a floral display. When I pointed it out to him, the driver feigned a lack of understanding but spent the next 20 minutes talking on the 'phone in hushed tones. By some miracle the meter reverted to accuracy and by the time we reached Chidlom, it was pretty much the correct fare.Had I not questioned the meter, the fare would have been in the order of 1,000 rather than the correct (+/-) 300.

I paid the fare but proceeded to report him to DLT because he will do it again and again and again. 

It's rare for me to use airport cabs, preferring a car service or the train most times. But this was the 3rd crooked driver in 18 months or so (3/maybe 12). 

I got a Swampy scumbag 4 or 5 years ago with a rigged meter. By the time we got from BKK to the main expressway into Bangkok (Pattaya Chonburi motorway) the meter read over 120 baht when its usually about 50 - 55. Of course, I blew a fuse (absolutely detest being conned and cheated) and there was a lot of words exchanged but he reached below his seat, fiddled about and the meter went back to the normal. I threw the exact fare at him and refused to give him the receipt you get at the desk.

I NEVER use taxis in Bangkok at all now, especially at Swampy since the opening of the Airport Link.

Edited by Cuchulainn

8 hours ago, zoza said:

am I missing something here? so he stole her money and told the police a load of lies

and his punishment was he had to eventually give the money he stole back?

after all said and done why did they have to wait for him to agree to pay her back

the 500 baht note is clear as day on the pictures? is it poor reporting? if not  

is that likely to deter any other taxi's or will it just make the bad ones a bit more camera

shy ? come on do the job properly and ban/fine and punish bad behaviour. BIB.

Today 18 unregistered UBER taxidrivers got a fine of 2000 baht each....and this thieve gets no punishment...welcome to Thailand sir.

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Windows 7 works fine!

Cabbie says he sexually harassed Cambodian woman because of her alien status

By Coconuts Bangkok

download.png

Screenshot: Workpoint

A taxi driver admitted to the police that he groped a female Cambodian passenger’s breasts because he believed she wouldn’t file a report due to her migrant status.

Thaworn Rammakien, 48, was arrested Monday night after the video of the assault, which took place in the morning, went viral. He confessed to sexually harassing her when she was riding in his car with her friend to a hospital in Samut Prakarn, reported Morning News.

According to the unidentified victim, she and another female friend got in Thaworn’s taxi in Bang Pu area. During the ride, the cabbie told her to give him her hand so that he could read her palm, but instead, he pulled her in and used his other hand to slip into her blouse.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/cabbie-says-sexually-harassed-cambodian-woman-alien-status/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-3-7