webfact

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Yep Taxi caused this accident driving without due care, and yes the pickup driver is a bit silly for not slowing down to let the oblivious idiot in the Taxi join the lane, but two thais and one bit of road - something has to give and it won't be courtesy and common sense 

Due care! That's choice!

I found this  on 

Traffic Laws in Thailand - A translation (from www.bkkriders.com)

Section 71 (500B)
If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first. The slip road doesn't seem to mentioned as such but in general terms it is a 'junction'. This would imply that the taxi did not observe traffic with due care.

Can any poster here find something more?

As I mentioned previously, yes the truck was an idiot but it would seem the taxi driver had some responsibility here too.

Edited by TKDfella

24 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Of which the taxi driver displayed none unfortunately. 

And the truck driver did use due care.... are you crazy?

anyone driving with this kind of lack of regard for themselves or others, regardless of this accident, should be banned from driving.

i can understand people apportioning blame to the taxi driver, but what I cannot understand is that anyone could defend the actions of the truck driver... he was driving recklessly

19 minutes ago, farcanell said:

And the truck driver did use due care.... are you crazy?

anyone driving with this kind of lack of regard for themselves or others, regardless of this accident, should be banned from driving.

i can understand people apportioning blame to the taxi driver, but what I cannot understand is that anyone could defend the actions of the truck driver... he was driving recklessly

Yep. Two wrongs don't make a right. 

And is this case, it made for a very hard left into a cement barricade. 

And I think the driver of the pickup has consequently banned himself from driving for life. 

Edited by docshock13
Amendment

10 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I agree that the blue pickup was driving in an irresponsible manner, however the taxi driver did not appear to make any attempt to ensure the lane was clear before moving from his own lane to join the highway.  It is the responsibility of the driver joining the highway to ensure that they can do so safely and without endangering other vehicles travelling at higher speed than themselves.  From simple observation the taxi appears t simply pull into the next lane to the right as quickly as possible before the end of the feeder lane.

Under Thai road law all vehicles must give way to merging traffic, therefore the blue pickup was wrong on every count!!!! :wai:

25 minutes ago, TPI said:

Under Thai road law all vehicles must give way to merging traffic, therefore the blue pickup was wrong on every count!!!! :wai:

Can you supply the source for 'merging traffic' law please as this does seem to be different from the section I posted, Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, rijb said:

I will yield to a bad driver, to live another day. 

Right-of-way is not worth dying for.

Yep.... and I do so multiple times, every single day I venture out onto thai roads

The pick up driving too fast on 2 conditions: not going the general same speed as traffic flow and 2. Going faster and trying to pass in the slow lane/merging lane...it is illegal that behavior much more so than the taxi driver merging in w/o judging what others were doing...

if the pick up driver was driving with traffic flow, he would have adjusted and been able to give way to taxi and avoided the accident even though pick up had right of way..

just b/c one has that lane doesn't mean he should not have adjusted ...but his speed made up his mind that he was going to beat taxi to the spot...poor judgment and reckless driving that lead to his bad outcome not the taxi driver who ignored a rule of the road...

Edited by cardinalblue

I had a look at this again, as some have suggested that the taxi driver moved into the blue truck's lane, and is therefore either wholly or partially responsible. The taxi was indicating to move into the lane, he was coming in from a filter lane and that filter lane was narrowing before it came to an end ... he had no choice ... and cars on the left lane must allow the traffic to enter the lane. His fault was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

was an idiot but it would seem the taxi driv

Attached link is the closest I can find.

Section 40 most relevant, then sections 43 (a. d, probably b and particularly h), section 67, section 69 (g), section 70 (junction).

tlaw0140_5.pdf

13 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I agree that the blue pickup was driving in an irresponsible manner, however the taxi driver did not appear to make any attempt to ensure the lane was clear before moving from his own lane to join the highway.  It is the responsibility of the driver joining the highway to ensure that they can do so safely and without endangering other vehicles travelling at higher speed than themselves.  From simple observation the taxi appears t simply pull into the next lane to the right as quickly as possible before the end of the feeder lane.

I agree about the taxi, but the pick-up driver was going 30-40Ks faster in the inside lane than anyone else on the road. Undertaking and weaving at high speed is reckless driving nothing else!

Taxi driver 100% at fault. 

Resposibility of merging traffic to make way. 

Another example of Thai driving ignorance. 

Since the foreigners, probably all farang, here are to a large extent disagreeing with you, you might as well say 'another example of farang driving ignorance'.

sent using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since the foreigners, probably all farang, here are to a large extent disagreeing with you, you might as well say 'another example of farang driving ignorance'.

sent using Tapatalk

Bet he has a pickup too! LOL

11 minutes ago, farcanell said:

I think they have used up all their luck, already.

Ops! Sorry too late, but if you read all next time. Maybe you understand why the comment was written.
Not really your style to take a coment out of context. I´m disappointed!

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I had a look at this again, as some have suggested that the taxi driver moved into the blue truck's lane, and is therefore either wholly or partially responsible. The taxi was indicating to move into the lane, he was coming in from a filter lane and that filter lane was narrowing before it came to an end ... he had no choice ... and cars on the left lane must allow the traffic to enter the lane. His fault was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

The taxi driver most certainly have a choice. He was the one changing lanes so he should have slowed and waited for a safe gap in the lane he wanted to move into. He chose not to.

13 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The taxi driver most certainly have a choice. He was the one changing lanes so he should have slowed and waited for a safe gap in the lane he wanted to move into. He chose not to.

No, he indicated and moved into the only lane available to him, as the filter lane simply runs out of road. The traffic on that lane he was entering should have let him through ... the truck could have done so easily if it had been travelling at the same speed as other traffic ... the blue truck driver simply had no business travelling at that speed. Some on here appear to believe that if you are in a lane then you have the right to travel as fast as your heart desires and have no obligation to allow cars on the filter lane to join the road - and that is quite simply wrong. The taxi, on this occasion, is innocent.