Cambodians feasting on Pattaya strays anger local dog lovers

webfact

I have 4 Thai dogs and love them all to bits.

However, I adopted them with the full knowledge of MY civic responsibilities to spay and neuter them, provide them with a good home which includes ALL vaccinations, proper food, exercise,  training and keeping them penned. 

As for the so-called "dog lovers" in the OP, their charity is misplaced. If they truly loved the dogs, they would take them in and off the streets, vaccinate them, have them de-sexed and control them (keep them fenced). Not just feed a growing menace that is a serious public health risk. 

The problem here isn't the Cambodians (in fact they are providing a much needed public service--as much as I love dogs I prefer to not get rabies). The problem is the mentality of people. Not the dogs. 

Hopefully, humans can be more responsible in their decisions lest Fido end up on the BBQ. 

That being said, I do not find it morally abhorrent that economically marginalized people use dogs as a food source. I eat chicken, pork and beef. 

What I find disturbing is that self-proclaimed "animal lovers" that encourage these strays will go home and declare they did their part while feasting on CP chicken cleaned and processed by Cambodians who have about the same quality of life as these dogs in Thailand.

Stray dogs are a public health threat. Dogs that are taken care of by thoughtful humans can be disease-free, wonderful friends and companions. It is up to us as humans in how we treat each other and animals. From the OP, seems like the Cambodians were afforded less respect than street dogs. Sad. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Could always try the rats!

Locals take care of that (Farangs too who don't know where the meat comes from), Rats are a delicious in many parts of the country, so I am told) they even sell rat traps to catch them, should make those traps bigger as there is a big rat in bangkok that needs catching

feed the strays, and gave them medical attention said the Thai lady?  I doubt that.  threw them some scraps of food maybe.  But from what I have seen they don't know much about dogs. I see them routinely throwing the dogs chicken bones, which are brittle and very dangerous for dogs to consume

12 hours ago, rijb said:

A kid on our Soi was excited to get a new puppy.  She showed it to her friend.  Her friend said the dog looked nice and healthy.  And that it would make a nice, juicy BBQ.  She wasn't joking.

A case of "I like dogs....., especially with a little BBQ sauce."

Ok 2 issues here One is the dogs I cant walk anywhere without being scared of being bitten or attacked by these dogs Go Cambodians you are doing us all a favour by getting rid of these dogs It is not un common for some people to have 7 to 8 dogs at there homes How bloody stupid Second issue Why are Cambodians working on these sites? All of you can see Thai men walking around doing nothing Gee i can and i am half blind The Thai men should be working on these sites Why are Cambodians working there? They make it hard hard for farangs to get work permits but Cambodians seem to have no prob I am sure Thai men can work on building sites Or are they just bloody lazy That why these Cambodians are here So keep going Cambodians you are doing the job of thais and cleaning up the stray dogs Hooray

12 hours ago, docshock13 said:

I have 4 Thai dogs and love them all to bits.

However, I adopted them with the full knowledge of MY civic responsibilities to spay and neuter them, provide them with a good home which includes ALL vaccinations, proper food, exercise,  training and keeping them penned. 

As for the so-called "dog lovers" in the OP, their charity is misplaced. If they truly loved the dogs, they would take them in and off the streets, vaccinate them, have them de-sexed and control them (keep them fenced). 

So you think love is chopping your nuts off and being locked up?

if I were a dog I would prefer holding on to my knackers and to be let out to use them.

do you have a son?

13 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

So you think love is chopping your nuts off and being locked up?

if I were a dog I would prefer holding on to my knackers and to be let out to use them.

do you have a son?

I'm calling CBT

58 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Maybe if Thailand had modest social programs, the Cambodians wouldn't  have to eat dogs. Yet another failure of the Thai state. Take care of your people to avoid bad publicity.

They like dog meat. Ever think of that?

On 3/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, hyku1147 said:

Here is another perspective: In 2011 something terrible happened in my family. It was the kind of event that people commit suicide over.

Stunned, I went down to Naklua Beach in the hope of clearing my mind. My heart was broken, and I had no one to speak to. Four beach dogs came up to me and two of them started licking my arms. One did the shake a paw thing. When I got up - they followed. I went for a swim 2 of them swam with me. I walked to Naklua road - they all came with me. In other words - they sensed my pain.

I fed those dogs for 4 years afterwards.

In 2015 employees of the new luxury hotel rounded them up. The Thais told me that they fed them to the crocodiles.

I like happy endings.  Tell us another story.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:55 AM, whatawonderfulday said:

Never mind your soi as they are rampant and untrained almost everywhere in Thailand. What we need is lots more Cambodians, Vietnamese and Koreans who are very very hungry

You are correct... unfortunately!