Money Changer or direct to bank?

Konini

We've just brought some money back from Australia, are we better to go to a money changer to change AUD to TBH or should we just deposit it directly in our account at Bangkok Bank?

A guy from Ubon asked the same---just a week or so ago Konini, we don't have super rich in Issan (that I know of) but for some reason Gold shops do buy "Recognised currency" & pay a little better than most banks---BKK Bank is connected a lot of branches to Western Union---their rate isn't usually great.........:coffee1:

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

A guy from Ubon asked the same---just a week or so ago Konini, we don't have super rich in Issan (that I know of) but for some reason Gold shops do buy "Recognised currency" & pay a little better than most banks---BKK Bank is connected a lot of branches to Western Union---their rate isn't usually great.........:coffee1:

Bangkok Banks rates are equal to other banks within a few satang. Their relationship with Western Union has nothing to with their rates those are set by Western Union when a transfer is sent or received.

Joe I have not found this to be the case----I have all my money sent over through BKK Bank--usually 1 years earnings at a time--& I am happy with their operation---however this person is carrying money, I don't know the set up where he lives but in Udon Thani at one of their larger BKK Bank branches that I use  the  mezzanine floor is taken by WU and you are directed there if you want to do (over the counter) currency exchange, their rate isn't that wonderful. The bank its self will not change over the counter---just directs you to WU.

Thank you everybody for your input.

We looked up the buy rates online for Bangkok Bank and Super Rich.  Super Rich were 0.55 more.  Mr K is now on his way to get a washer for his new gel bike seat (scavanged from my old bike in Melbourne) and will check with SK.  If they are the same or higher than Super Rich he'll just change it there.  Usually we have no choice and just do the international transfer but as we were there, I thought I was saving $22 on the transfer.  Looks like we're going to get a nice few thousand more baht as a bonus.

Thanks again.

Bank is good if you transfer in foreign currency into a foreign currency account and change when the time is right. I think they can only do this in BKK though. If you have the money here in cash, go to Superrich.

15 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Bank is good if you transfer in foreign currency into a foreign currency account and change when the time is right. I think they can only do this in BKK though.

They do that in CM at at least some banks.

19 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

They do that in CM at at least some banks.

Which bank can open a foreign currency account in CM? I tried UOB, Standard Chartered, Islamic Bank, SCB, CIMB

(SC is gone now, they closed business in CM).

Edited by MadMac

Bank is good if you transfer in foreign currency into a foreign currency account and change when the time is right. I think they can only do this in BKK though. If you have the money here in cash, go to Superrich.

That's correct, I use this way to make more$$$

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, MadMac said:

Where is UOB near Makro? I only know the branch in Central Airport.

After all your big statements, you don't really know much.  Try google, there are several UOB branches besides Airport Plaza.  They also show FCD accounts on their website and what is required to open one.

9 hours ago, MadMac said:

its after makro if you proceed in the one way direction just before the left turn on the superhighway crossroad. i imagine around 200 metres or so on from Makro if thst makes sense. The Makro on the Lamphun / Lampang superhighway I am tslking about, not the one near/in Hang Dong

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

After all your big statements, you don't really know much.  Try google, there are several UOB branches besides Airport Plaza.  They also show FCD accounts on their website and what is required to open one.

Look, I've asked UOB directly to open a FCD in Chiang Mail, they could not do it. Only result was a call to their own hotline which then referred to UOB BKK. Even in BKK only a few branches deal with FCDs, one is the Suk 4 branch in the Motorola building. But you can keep looking on websites :)

Edited by MadMac

16 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

No need, I got mine at UOB near Macro and SCB and BKK just as others have.   

Ok, so what account exactly you have with UOB @Makro? Maybe we talk about different things.

Last time in Super Rich, I was being a Japanese guy exchanging a lot of cash.  Funny thing was we simultaneously arrived at our bank at Pantip   Plaza.  Super is about equal to TT rate at BKKBank, without the fees but a few risks.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 3/10/2017 at 0:36 AM, MadMac said:

The next building after Makro on the Superhighway is the UOB building.

Hope you get more polite service there than my whole family have experienced. Often used to pop in there after a quick Makro visit to make random payments on my and son's UOB credit cards, usually without a statement, just the card numbers in my contacts list on smartphone.

Usually turned into a  'oh so difficult attitude'  by the tellers. Always now pay UOB cards at their branch next to Suriwongse books, always easy, always polite.

Good luck. 

Edited by scorecard