Fuel Filter

JN45

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Errrr, that would be the in-tank pump, the high pressure pump on the engine is about 35,000 baht

High pressure pump on engine buy-in 17,000 THB.

28 minutes ago, JoeW said:

High pressure pump on engine buy-in 17,000 THB.

Thats a hell of a lot more than 1,900 aint it, my 35k number was what someone on a 4x4 forum in Australia paid ($1300).

So what  does your system say the injectors and fuel filter cost ?

I assume these are not retail prices.

Thanks very much for all the replies, some great information in there, very much appreciated.

Things are starting to become a lot clearer as to why and what happened.

My last question would be : if there is a stand- off between myself and Ford how can this be resolved ?  Going to Ford H.O. seems like it would be more of the same runaround.  Would posters go to the Provincial Office and Complaints Center ( CPP ) in Phuket town ?  Or seek legal advice ? Or am i wasting my time/ running a risk messing with the bog boys ?

Note- Ford say i am getting all the parts back that they replace, a sample of the fuel and a full mechanic's report.

Thanks.

Most likely Ford HO will just say the dealerships decision is final.

Maybe give you insurance company a call and see if they will cover it.

Also when it is fixed if you could post up the invoice so that we can try and understand those who are saying you are being ripped off.

6 minutes ago, JN45 said:

Thanks very much for all the replies, some great information in there, very much appreciated.

Things are starting to become a lot clearer as to why and what happened.

My last question would be : if there is a stand- off between myself and Ford how can this be resolved ?  Going to Ford H.O. seems like it would be more of the same runaround.  Would posters go to the Provincial Office and Complaints Center ( CPP ) in Phuket town ?  Or seek legal advice ? Or am i wasting my time/ running a risk messing with the bog boys ?

Note- Ford say i am getting all the parts back that they replace, a sample of the fuel and a full mechanic's report.

Thanks.

IS THEIR a filter WARNING light on the dash...? Look in your handbook....That will be YOUR KEY to any cash discussion...

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Most likely Ford HO will just say the dealerships decision is final.

Maybe give you insurance company a call and see if they will cover it.

Also when it is fixed if you could post up the invoice so that we can try and understand those who are saying you are being ripped off.

Yes, that will be Ford H.O. stance.

Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover this.

Getting invoice shortly and will post up the info.  

Ford had the truck 2.5 weeks and still didn't know the problem.  Then they have suddenly decided to replace all the parts, therefore guaranteeing a successful ( for them ) result.

One of the other strange things is that they later claimed that this is a common problem due to dirty fuel being widespread in Thailand.  So why the 2.5 weeks of bewilderment over what the problem is when the head mechanic says he has worked at Ford 10 years and seen this with many other car types ( his excuse was he didn't know because this was the Ranger model ) ?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, JN45 said:

Ford had the truck 2.5 weeks and still didn't know the problem.  Then they have suddenly decided to replace all the parts, therefore guaranteeing a successful ( for them ) result.

One of the other strange things is that they later claimed that this is a common problem due to dirty fuel being widespread in Thailand.  So why the 2.5 weeks of bewilderment over what the problem is when the head mechanic says he has worked at Ford 10 years and seen this with many other car types ( his excuse was he didn't know because this was the Ranger model ) ?

Thanks.

Yep replacing everything is the Ford way, easier to charge the customer for the parts than pay the tech's to troubleshoot the issue. the 2.5 weeks is most likely due to Ford's 34hr parts guarantee to be a load of shit !!

Be interesting how many labour hours are on the invoice, to R&R a pump/injectors/filter should be about 10 but then if they do the job properly they would also drop the fuel tank and lines and clean them as well.

OP. They think you are a helpless rich farang. 

Have you given them permission to proceed? If not get the thing out of Ford's hands and get it towed to another garage. Where they can replace all the parts and charge you accordingly.

It has been 2.5 weeks if the truck is "needed" you left it too long before asking.

Edited by VocalNeal

On ‎9‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, JoeW said:

Actually it is possible that even when the filter is so clogged, fuel might go through with dirt particles and affect the carburetor and/or injectors. 

I can't remember correctly, but I think Ford changes the fuel filter every 30,000 kms? If you serviced with Ford, show them your records that the fuel filter was changed according to their service plan and get ready for a fight (discussion).

Now, the cost for 2 injectors, fuel pump and fuel filter should not be 90,000 baht of course.

I'm giving you the cost for a Volkswagen Passat B5 as a reference so you know 90,000 baht for a Thai-made vehicle is too much.

2 Injectors: 3,500 baht / piece x 2 = 7,000 baht

Fuel pump: 2,800 baht x 1 = 2,800 baht

Fuel filter: 400 baht x 1 = 400 baht

Total cost: 10,200 baht (incl Vat). These are the prices which we sold parts for to our customer. The buy-in price for us is 30% of 10,200 baht.

I'm not sure how old your vehicle is, but it might be worth bringing it to a garage which is not Ford. There are plenty good workshops in Bangkok. 

Common rail diesel injectors are usually a lot more than Joe's prices, typically $300 - 500 each is not uncommon depending on type. 

If the injectors and fuel pump really do need replacing because of dirty fuel, push the dealer to explain why Ford's fuel filtration system and service schedule did not protect the engine as it was designed to do.  If the same dealer did the servicing, the fault may be on them not changing the fuel filter or supplying and fitting a faulty filter.  Normally dirty filters on a diesel are obvious from reduced power & revs.  Maybe a faulty filter has been fitted by the service dealer at some time in the past?

Edited by Jitar

Common rail diesel injectors are usually a lot more than Joe's prices, typically $300 - 500 each is not uncommon depending on type. 

If the injectors and fuel pump really do need replacing because of dirty fuel, push the dealer to explain why Ford's fuel filtration system and service schedule did not protect the engine as it was designed to do.  If the same dealer did the servicing, the fault may be on them not changing the fuel filter or supplying and fitting a faulty filter.  Normally dirty filters on a diesel are obvious from reduced power & revs.  Maybe a faulty filter has been fitted by the service dealer at some time in the past?

But that would involve a Thai accepting logic...