Unprocessed Chicken Sandwich Meat?

jbsears

I've been here for a while now and have yet to find unprocessed chicken sandwich meat. The 99% fat free healthy stuff found back home. Everything at the supermarkets is either some type of ham or bologna. I went to Subway to get a chicken and a turkey sandwich and both meats were processed, unlike the fresh chicken breast and turkey that are at the US Subways. Therefore, Subway doesn't provide a healthy sandwich like back home which is why I like to eat there.

Would appreciate any help.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try chicken :o

Yeah, that's what i'm asking about. they don't sell it here which is quite weird since that is what Thailand is known for exporting. all they sell is raw chicken which is pointless since it is not lunch meat. Lunch meat is desired since it requires no cooking and easy to make a sandwich out of.

At the deli's in the U.S. the chicken or turkey is cooked, formed, rolled and prosessed for slicing.

Or do they ( where you go ) put a leg on the slicer?

Sorry for all those that don't understand my question. What I am looking for is healthy 99% fat free chicken or turkey that has not been processed to the point of being like bologna. Yes, to this poster, everything is processed to some point. It is a fact of not selling full feathered chickens.

People please only reply if you actually know of where to buy in BKK.

Thanks

If you go to Carrefour or Tops, you can buy freshly cooked, whole chickens at a very reasonable price.

I use them all the time for tasty chicken sandwhiches.

Some salad, a bit of mayo, and some fresh bread - a nice healthy lunch. :o

If you go to Carrefour or Tops, you can buy freshly cooked, whole chickens at a very reasonable price.

I use them all the time for tasty chicken sandwhiches.

Some salad, a bit of mayo, and some fresh bread - a nice healthy lunch. :o

Exactly. Or there are many little private vendors around that will sell you a freshly cooked chicken for a few baht.

At the deli's in the U.S. the chicken or turkey is cooked, formed, rolled and prosessed for slicing.

Or do they ( where you go ) put a leg on the slicer?

Sorry for all those that don't understand my question. What I am looking for is healthy 99% fat free chicken or turkey that has not been processed to the point of being like bologna. Yes, to this poster, everything is processed to some point. It is a fact of not selling full feathered chickens.

People please only reply if you actually know of where to buy in BKK.

Thanks

I think that, like me, some respondants don't quite understand the problem. I have absolutely no difficulty buying cooked chicken, either whole birds or a half or quarter. Is the point that you want it pre-sliced ? I don't know the fat content of normal chickens, perhaps that is the point of your question :o

Yeah, basically the question is where can I find sliced deli meat that is chicken breast or turkey breast. Usually the delis will tell what the fat content is of the meat. Chicken and Turkey breast is usually marked 99% fat free. I think the Americans will understand what I am asking. This kind of meat just may not be popular in Europe which may be why it is not popular here either.

If the product is not for sale here, it is okay. I was just wondering since I have always looked for it whenever I go to a new supermarket.

Thanks though for the suggestions on precooked chicken. I do like them. I am just looking for something simple, easy to prepare and store in the fridge, and healthy.

I get the feeling Yankee Doodle Dandy wants some one to come in and make him a sandwich..

Wipe his mouth with a napkin and pat him on the head..

I though big boys could buy a cooked chicken and a bread roll, some salad and make a F*****

meal for himself.. :o:D:D

I was wondering something similar.

Those cooked chickens are excellent, and actually keep for quite a long time when refridgerated.

I have often made myself a tasty sandwich, but I have also trained Mrs Mobi and a succession of maids to do it, and they usually end up making them even better than I can :D

I really don't see what the problem is. The only issue separating a whole cooked chicken and cooked ckicken slices is a carving knife.

If the OP is so bloody fussy about his chicken, I suggest he goes and lives where they prepare the meat to his satisfaction.

Hi jbsears,

Being an American, I know exactly what you are talking about and I can help you and have a bit of good news. Like you, there was a time I could find only things like chicken bologna but to tell you the truth that stuff just about makes me gag and looks loaded with fat and who knows what else. It doesn't taste good and it's not healthy, but it sure is cheap so that's why that's all you tend to see.

The good news is there are real turkey breast slices in Bangkok at a few spots. Go to the deli in Foodland grocery store in Patpong (it's open 24/7). They have the kind of turkey you want and will slice it to the thickness you want on the spot. They also have some decent potato salad. Also, the Siam Paragon market has vacuum sealed turkey slices, but they aren't quite as good to me. Siam Paragon's deli is probably the most gigantic you will find in the whole city so definitely worth a look for hard to find items. Then there are Villa markets which stock actual Oscar Mayer products among other things, but I'm not sure if they have chicken/turkey as a selection as the prices scared me from looking at these.

without havin' a go at little black waddlin' jerk offs and his obnoxious associates I say that the US is the home of the chicken salad/turkey salad sandwich. To the OP I'd say forget about US deli style sliced chicken/turkey breast...it don't exist in Thailand. However, there are plenty of places where you can get a whole roast chicken. Buy one for yer supper, eat half and pull the meat offa the bones of the other half and prepare chicken salad as you normally would for yer lunch the next day.

In the middle east arabs eat a lot of roast chicken and on the way home from work when I was single would get a whole one, hoummous, salad and arabic bread for about 3 dollars and do as described above...like the ads useta say about the US candy bar 'indescribably delicious'...

without havin' a go at little black waddlin' jerk offs and his obnoxious associates I say that the US is the home of the chicken salad/turkey salad sandwich. To the OP I'd say forget about US deli style sliced chicken/turkey breast...it don't exist in Thailand. However, there are plenty of places where you can get a whole roast chicken. Buy one for yer supper, eat half and pull the meat offa the bones of the other half and prepare chicken salad as you normally would for yer lunch the next day.

In the middle east arabs eat a lot of roast chicken and on the way home from work when I was single would get a whole one, hoummous, salad and arabic bread for about 3 dollars and do as described above...like the ads useta say about the US candy bar 'indescribably delicious'...

Well if that's not having ago, I'd like to know what is. :D

And then you go on to repeat what the obnoxious associate has already said - twice :o

Original thought indeed from my country cousin :D

Give them hel_l tutsi! :o

If you want it healthy, you would be farther ahead to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the supermarket. Cook them in the microwave, slice them and store them in your refrigerator. Who knows what preservatives are in deli meat and especially worrying is how old it is.

All you have to do is go to foodland in sukhumvit soi 5 or villa supermarket. Foodland has a vast variety of deli meats that are as unprocessed as possible, as far as the chicken and turkey meats are involved anyways. The chicken breast is pretty much pure meat as is the smoked turkey breast. Relatively cheap.

Good Luck

If you want it healthy, you would be farther ahead to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the supermarket. Cook them in the microwave, slice them and store them in your refrigerator. Who knows what preservatives are in deli meat and especially worrying is how old it is.

excellent idea...I would suggest cooking the sliced chicken breasts stove top with garlic, onions, paprika, salt and pepper and a little broth. Put into the fridge overnight and prepare the chicken salad with a little mayo per usual next morning for sammiches.

fergit what them brits are suggesting...in england a meat salad sandwich consists of withered meat, with withered salad veg on withered bread...they ain't got a clue... and they put butter on the bread rather than mayo??? (Vincent Vega to Jules in Pulp Fiction describing inappropriate french fries cuisine with mayo on their fries in europe 'they do it, man...I seen them drown them in that stuff'...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

excellent idea...I would suggest cooking the sliced chicken breasts stove top with garlic, onions, paprika, salt and pepper and a little broth. Put into the fridge overnight and prepare the chicken salad with a little mayo per usual next morning for sammiches.

fergit what them brits are suggesting...in england a meat salad sandwich consists of withered meat, with withered salad veg on withered bread...they ain't got a clue... and they put butter on the bread rather than mayo??? (Vincent Vega to Jules in Pulp Fiction describing inappropriate french fries cuisine with mayo on their fries in europe 'they do it, man...I seen them drown them in that stuff'...)

chicken salad flame wars on thaivisa.com...you saw it here first...