Prozac

Blue bruce

I have recently been prescribed Prozac by a therapist. I started on the medication but noticed after a few days I have developed hives and itching similar to a mosquito bite

My question is will these allergies eventually go away and should I continue to  use the medication or call the Dr. To see if he can prescribe another medication?  ?.? 

This definitely sounds like a drug reaction and it will worsen, possibly to danger point, if you continue with the medication.

Inform your doctor. You need to immediately stop the medication and probably take an antihistimine. And if you then try a different antidepressent, be cautious as you may also react to other drugs of the same class.

From what I recall of your prior thread I am not really clear that you saw a therapist as opposed to a psychiatrist. They are not at all the same thing and psychiatrists -- especially Thai psychiatrists -- tend to reach for the prescription pad rather quickly.

As I advised in you other thread I really suggest you start by seeing a therapist for counseling and as that progresses ti will become clearer whether or not medication is necessary. And if it is, most therapists have a psychiatrist they refer to for prescribing, and in that arrangement the psychiatrist gives considerable weight to the therapist's insights as to the nature of the problem, since the therapist will have spent far more time with the patient than the psychiatrist ever can.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but my impression from your other thread was that you may have had one appt with a psychiatrist and come away with a script for an anti-depressent.  That is a typical outcome of a consultation with a psychiatrist but is not usually the best approach to the problem. Depression and anxiety are both best treated either with therapy alone or a mix of therapy and medication . Not meds alone. (Let alone ones you seem to be allergic to!!)

Thank you for the info. I took your advice and had a session with John L and was referred by Ben at PSI

As the session progressed Dr. John suggested I start taking an anti depressant immediately naming Prozac. He also though my gastric problems would subside once I got the depression under control. 

The next day after the session I started on Prozac and within 2 days felt immediate relief, but noticed a few what looked like mosquito bites. I am continuing on the medication and have not noticed the hives or mosquito bites getting and worse.

I have also followed up with an appointment with a Dr. Of gastronology at Suranaree hospital. Dr. John L at PSI wants me to come back for another session on sleep disorder once my depression is under control

As a side note today is the best I have felt in 4 months. Thank you Sheryl

OK, glad to hear it.

If the "hives" were more like mosquito bites and are not getting worse, and there is no diffuse rash, then maybe unrelated to the meds, but should it worsen or an outright rash develop, see the doctor again at once.

I was prescribed beta blockers by the shrink after a short stint on ativan.  Best advice I was ever given. Non addictive. Physically I was fine but my head was going a million miles an hour.

Likely need to stop the Prozac.  Look at Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.  Prozac typically isn't associated with it but it is possible with any medications.  The initial pictures are mild but if worsen can get serious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens–Johnson_syndrome  It is bad juju if it gets that bad and can be fatal.  You probably aren't headed that way but rashes and medications should not be taken lightly.

As for anxiety - beta blockers like propranolol can work.  Others I have found work better and also non-addictive like the benzos.  Gabapentin and Hydroxazine are useful.

Archived