PM's Office Spokesperson affirms government not raising VAT

webfact

PM's Office Spokesperson affirms government not raising VAT

vat.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 March 2017 (NNT) – The Prime Minister’s Office spokesperson has clarified that the government is not preparing to increase the nation’s Value Added Tax (VAT) rate by 1 percent as being publicized. 

Prime Minister’s Office Spokesperson Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd has refuted claims the administration has prepared to raise VAT by 1 percent, saying that the story being presented by the media is likely a misunderstanding of the Prime Minister’s intent. He clarified that the remark that sparked the story was in response to questions from the public on how the government will meet their demands, to which the Prime Minister noted funding for all state projects cannot come from taxation alone and sacrifices, such as an increase of VAT, would be needed. 

The spokesman affirmed the remark does not mean the government has a policy to raise VAT and assured that it is aware many citizens are already burdened by high costs of living. He urged the media to disseminate a better understanding of the situation and asked that the issue not be distorted into an attack on the administration.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-10

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister’s Office Spokesperson Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd has refuted claims the administration has prepared to raise VAT by 1 percent, saying that the story being presented by the media is likely a misunderstanding of the Prime Minister’s intent.

Do you really think we will swallow this horse pucky come on get real. Its a trial balloon to gauge reactions. If the shoot down phase comes that means he was hit with a barrage of negatives. 

I'm confused. I read in another article that the hard working and humble PM was asking the people to sacrifice for the country. A mere 1%. 

Funny how the people with the least have to sacrifice for the people with the most. 

He is a clever guy this PM. He is setting you up softening you up for the 1% hit. At the same time he is throwing a curve ball at the media saying they are distorting his statements thus we need a media gag bill. Killing 2 birds with one stone. 

32 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I'm confused. I read in another article that the hard working and humble PM was asking the people to sacrifice for the country. A mere 1%. 

Funny how the people with the least have to sacrifice for the people with the most. 

Its been that way since time immemorial. Slavery has become more sophisticated. We do after all have some value. 

That chap in the OP photograph doesn't look like the sort of fellow who would be really good at pedaling a bicycle backwards does he?

Just goes to show that you really can't tell from a simple photo...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

funding for all state projects cannot come from taxation alone and sacrifices, such as an increase of VAT, would be needed. 

Then start cancelling projects the state can't pay for - simple.

But I suspect the Prayut government needs such projects to showcase its worth, especially before next year's alleged elections.

Is this another of those one spokesman said this and another said this, so the truth is actually neither?

Perhaps tomorrow's news will include reports of a  mysterious government spokesman announcing a 10% decrease on VAT approved by Benz Racing for Dhammakaya temple gold-card holders. 

Higher entry fees to state parks, alcohol tax increase, VAT increase, projects being put on hold....Good indication of how well government finances are doing. The country is broke and the powers that be will not admit it. Going after Thaksin and his family AGAIN, for millions of baht, trying to collect from Yingluk, millions of baht. You want to see how well the economy is doing...? Look at how many rice fields are not being planted. And don't tell me it's because of the weather...!