Pattaya tunnel project delayed

Rimmer

Pattaya tunnel project delayed

1232-NEWS3-PIC1-696x464.jpg

PATTAYA:--The Sukhumvit-Central roads bypass tunnel will not open as planned this month, with holidays and insufficient work space pushing back its opening.

The 837-million-baht tunnel was supposed to be completed by the end of February after more than two years of traffic-clogging construction. But work is only 92 percent complete and a construction foreman on site said it’s unknown how long the final 8 percent will take.

Project manager Chairoj Thammniramai did not answer repeated telephone calls from the Pattaya Mail.

The on-site foreman claimed that the many government holidays – most on the calendar before work began – contributed to the delays.

He also complained that crews have been hampered by busy Sukhumvit Road. The need to keep as many lanes as possible open has cramped the construction workers, leaving them insufficient space to operate, he said.

News of the delay will surprise few, as most critics predicted a construction job of this size would never be completed on time.

But there are positive signs: A recent deluge that left many parts of Pattaya flooded had no effect on the inside of the tunnel, which remained dry.

Workers are busy inside the tunnel doing interior work on electrical and drainage systems and even painting.

Workers say an added layer of complexity was added with the planned construction of an elevator-equipped pedestrian bridge over Sukhumvit Road near the northern end of the tunnel zone.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-tunnel-project-delayed-166819

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-03-10

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Suggest next time to go down to 3rd Road, turn right and along to North ?

did that yesterday, and not too bad, though South Rd was slow for cars. I was trying to keep it to myself, so 3rd Rd wouldn't become grid locked. :biggrin:

21 minutes ago, Xaos said:

They making new motorway around Ambasador to BKK that be good too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes that will really lower traffic on sukumvit once its operational..all traffic from sriracha to  rayong will take that highway instead.and also bkk to jomtien traffic will take that highway.

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

No, but the reconstruction of Soi Siam Country Club is still ongoing .....

Siam Country club has been under construction for at least 5 years, possibly 6. It was open briefly about 1.5 to 2 years ago, but soon closed again for a make over. The politicos and the construction company on that project are making $ hand over fist, or should I say "layer of the road over layer" of the road.

11 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

Opening after the end of April is probably a good thing.

Having to drive under a pedestrian bridge of any sort, one would expect to suffer by presenting yourself as an easy Sonkran target.

Never used to be an issue with the old bridge.

54 minutes ago, BsBs said:

Happy Songrkan to everybody who will have to cross Pattaya this year ! Enjoy your poor life !

Correct. I stock up the fridge and watch the madness unfold with so many unnecessary deaths!!!

Truly bizarre. 

They say that government holidays responsible for the delays   I would not want that contractor involved in building my house

How the heck do they Not consider holidays into their projections

They are just making excuses for the delay or then are total idiots or both

Since most of the remaining 8% to completion appears to b in the tunnel itself which has absolutely no traffic disruption, why is it taking them so long to do the resurfacing and sealing of the slip roads on either side. Sometimes it looks like they only have enough money for 10 trucks and 200 m of new bitumen at a time. I will admit that they have become quite adept at moving the rows of concrete lane dividers several times a day to fit around the scatter-gun resurfacing project.

Regarding the time to install the pedestrian overpasses, learning that they will have elevators at each side explains why they reckon that will take a further 8 months to complete this. I thought that incorporating pedestrian underpasses like they have in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur would have been a much more elegant solution. Then again, making an elevated highway instead of this bloody tunnel was obviously not expensive enough for the then sitting city management. Note how the remaining buggered up bit of SSCC is the bit that comes under Pattaya City's jurisdiction.

Wait wait.....at the start of the project the estimated date of completion would be somewhere beginning of April 2018.

Then suddenly and as a big surprise in October last year it was announced that completion would be end of February 2017. 

Now, a "delay" until Songkran 2017 is expected.

What's the delay?

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since most of the remaining 8% to completion appears to b in the tunnel itself which has absolutely no traffic disruption, why is it taking them so long to do the resurfacing and sealing of the slip roads on either side. Sometimes it looks like they only have enough money for 10 trucks and 200 m of new bitumen at a time. I will admit that they have become quite adept at moving the rows of concrete lane dividers several times a day to fit around the scatter-gun resurfacing project.

Regarding the time to install the pedestrian overpasses, learning that they will have elevators at each side explains why they reckon that will take a further 8 months to complete this. I thought that incorporating pedestrian underpasses like they have in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur would have been a much more elegant solution. Then again, making an elevated highway instead of this bloody tunnel was obviously not expensive enough for the then sitting city management. Note how the remaining buggered up bit of SSCC is the bit that comes under Pattaya City's jurisdiction.

You've done again.

Take a good going moaning thread and totally ruin it by throwing in real facts and common sense. 

Stand in the corner for 30 minutes and have a word with yourself.

Just went both ways.  What an absolute mess.  They should be embarrassed.  Traffic is really backed up.  Both ways the lane on the outside is a disaster.  Dirt, rocks, holes.  Horrible.  Absolutely terrible.

I was in Latvia a few years ago.  Saw them resurfacing a highway.  They could do about 2km of road an hour.  From start to finish.  What a professional job.  Here, we've been waiting for a long time for a properly resurfaced road outside the tunnel.  Unreal.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, Rimmer said:

1232-NEWS3-PIC1-696x464.jpg

Not sure if anyone has noticed this already, however it would be difficult not to, at the exit of the tunnel when you drive Northbound there is a wet spot on the Sukhumit road surface for about 3 months already even when it hasn't rained for weeks.

It is where the car, behind the bus in the picture, is situated and on the newly laid surface. A few months ago I noticed a "bunch of engineers" standing and staring at the wet spot, but other then it getting bigger by the day nothing has changed since

How long before the road surface will start crumbling and a big hole will appear?

1 hour ago, Allstars said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed this already, however it would be difficult not to, at the exit of the tunnel when you drive Northbound there is a wet spot on the Sukhumit road surface for about 3 months already even when it hasn't rained for weeks.

It is where the car, behind the bus in the picture, is situated and on the newly laid surface. A few months ago I noticed a "bunch of engineers" standing and staring at the wet spot, but other then it getting bigger by the day nothing has changed since

How long before the road surface will start crumbling and a big hole will appear?

Well usually holes will start to pop up soon as traffic drives over the improved roads again so u need to wait patiently.