Insurance premium cut for vehicles with dashboard cams in the pipeline

Insurance premium cut for vehicles with dashboard cams in the pipeline

By The Nation

3b190c777c32630204a3fa481da1b28d.jpeg

The Insurance Commission has asked insurance operators to cut costs of coverage for car owners who use dashboard cameras in their vehicles by 5-10 per cent.

The commission says the cameras are deemed a useful tool that potentially promotes safer journeys and more disciplined driver behaviour. The condition for premium cut is that the camera must be attached to the car from the beginning and until the end of the insurance contract.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30308574

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-10

It is a very useful tool indeed. 

I get stopped by the boys in brown and asked for money, naturally without receipt for running over red light (which I don't for my own interest and safety). 

Invite 'em into your car and play the clip - the all leave without a word and don't even close the door ;-) .

Happy days are ahead of us; in five years all cars will have factory-equipped dashboard cameras. You then can use your present camera by fitting it into the front left corner which will record whatever happens on the drivers side and drivers window - thereby further reducing the highway robbery.
This goes very well in line with caps, sunglasses and mouth protection (which you put on once you're getting stopped); the police will ask you to remove them and you ask them back likewise so as to make sure the picture is clear on the chip of your dashboard camera. Works WONDERS, trust me!
And if you drive the same mileage as me every year that cabin camera pays itself within less than a year as there is no tea money hand-out at the drivers window any longer! 

26 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

It is a very useful tool indeed. 

I get stopped by the boys in brown and asked for money, naturally without receipt for running over red light (which I don't for my own interest and safety). 

Invite 'em into your car and play the clip - the all leave without a word and don't even close the door ;-) .

Happy days are ahead of us; in five years all cars will have factory-equipped dashboard cameras. You then can use your present camera by fitting it into the front left corner which will record whatever happens on the drivers side and drivers window - thereby further reducing the highway robbery.
This goes very well in line with caps, sunglasses and mouth protection (which you put on once you're getting stopped); the police will ask you to remove them and you ask them back likewise so as to make sure the picture is clear on the chip of your dashboard camera. Works WONDERS, trust me!
And if you drive the same mileage as me every year that cabin camera pays itself within less than a year as there is no tea money hand-out at the drivers window any longer! 

Sorry but i get lost in the part about caps sunglasses etc whats that all about?

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Very good plan...should also be allowed to  send footage to traffic police to fine and process scumbag drivers.

I did it before, I sent pictures and videos of the retarded driving Russian and Chinese tourist buses, but of course nothing happened.

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Where is the Pattaya Beach Highway ?

Between the Sea and  Central Mall it runs for miles long  all the way till Walking street 4 lanes wide heavy traffic lots of trucks busses speed 60/90 km pedestrians no rights for to cross and walking on the small beach pavement roads gives u the feeling as if u are strolling on the highway it self.please close the road make it a happy walking zone where people can walk freely enjoy scenery nature make sports fields if u cut of the highway then lots of space comes free.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

How is the camera pictured powered? There are no wires running to it.

Looking at the photo, it looks like the dash cam has been photo shopped onto the main pic just to show what a dash cam looks like.

Just my opinion.

51 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Looking at the photo, it looks like the dash cam has been photo shopped onto the main pic just to show what a dash cam looks like.

Just my opinion.

If so they did a good job with also the cars in front on both the cam and in the picture, with many details.

20 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Dash Cams are a minefied price wise. An 850 Bht one can be better than 3000 bht one

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What I do not understand is why the G1W, the best in the world among the cheap dashcam, is still sold around 1500 thb 3 years later. Maybe because it is still one of the best cheap dashcam ?

I have never found any better than the G1W for less than 2000 thb, what about you ?

A dash cam is a great accessory to have, especially here in Thailand,

it could make the difference of being blamed for an accident that wasn't

your fault and also keep the BiB off your back.

If insurance companies do go ahead with this idea of being rewarded with 

a premium discount, then it would only make sense if they request a front and 

a rear camera to be installed. 

It's a 50-50 chance that video footage would be beneficial to them in the event 

of an accident coming in the direction of the rear just as much as from the front

of the vehicle.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Why do I suspect that even when you have video of the incident, it will still end up being the farangs fault?

Not true. I think in most instances the guilty party no longer tries to extort any money.

Edited by giddyup

15 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Interesting,can you take out the memory card and play back/copy at leisure.?.If not its useless.

Yup, it's mounted in the mirror, memory is a regular micro-SD in an adapter (slot is standard SD). No GPS in the camera, but it does have a G-sensor so it saves your accident automatically an prevents the file being over-written.

Footage is MP4 and plays just fine on a PC with VLC, obviously you can play back on the camera too.