Renewal of BBC World radio broadcast contract was a matter of the country’s policy : NBTC

snoop1130

Renewal of BBC World radio broadcast contract was a matter of the country’s policy : NBTC

By The Nation

862428981d135432f46fa388a4631fff.jpeg

BBC World radio

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) said the use of Nakhon Sawan’s short-wave radio-relay station to broadcast content from the BBC World Service in Southeast Asia was a matter of the country’s policy that involved agreements based on related international laws which needed to be settled first.

The NBTC is willing to provide the service for the BBC once Thailand’s Foreign Affairs Ministry and the company reached an agreement to renew the contract, said NBTC secretary general Thakorn Tanthasit on Friday.

The BBC’s short-wave relay station stopped transmitting at the start of the year after the contract with the government expired.

The news outlet said in a statement released on Thursday that the agency could not reach an agreement with authorities to resume broadcasting because of its financial limitations so it had to shut down the station. But it said people could still listen to its programme via relay stations elsewhere.

The Foreign Affair Ministry earlier said the two parties had been in negotiations for renewing the contract. 

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308613

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-10

Oh, I see. So it's not quite as the FM claimed yesterday, namely that BBC had unilaterally canceled further negotiations without giving any reason. Instead it appears that that there was a reason after all. I would dare to speculate that near-bankrupt Thailand asked BBC for an exorbitant lease fee to extend the contract and that the broadcaster simply had no intention to be ripped off with a "farang price". 

I blame Jonathan Head for this row. He had to embed himself with the Yingluck clan and give them his bias whilst reporting in Los. Now the bbc is counting the cost or should I say it's listeners are. What a Richard our Head is. I hope he get's transfered to the Phillipines so he can cover the war on drugs.

When you alienate a, how can you describe the BBC, a world renowned organization, then there is something going on that is not right.

You might not agree with everything the BBC puts out, I dont, but, if you do it on an international level then the long term implecations need to be taken into account. The world is bigger than Thailand.

THe current correspondent has not always seen the ways I see things but things seem to have got out of control, I am sure that there are other countries who love to be the hub of the BBC in this part of the world,

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

When you alienate a, how can you describe the BBC, a world renowned organization, then there is something going on that is not right.

You might not agree with everything the BBC puts out, I dont, but, if you do it on an international level then the long term implecations need to be taken into account. The world is bigger than Thailand.

THe current correspondent has not always seen the ways I see things but things seem to have got out of control, I am sure that there are other countries who love to be the hub of the BBC in this part of the world,

In the Thailand the world is not bigger than Thailand  - the world is Thailand ....

Whatever it was - it is over.

The Thais wanted to add conditions to the renewal which were apparently not acceptable by the lessee. I believe the Thais would be losing out more than the BBC as, if you can use Thailand as a hub for North Korean broadcasting then there are geographical alternatives in the region.

As Thais never make a mistake it is clear that BBC is best advised to clear the desk in Nakorn Sawan and move on - which they do. 

Somchai will be happy, there is lots of scrap metal waiting to be sold ;-)