White men an 'endangered species' in UK boardrooms - Tesco chairman

rooster59

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Because those are the jobs that everybody wants.

There are plenty of unemployed white people in the UK who don't have sufficient qualifications to pursue anything beyond low skill customer service jobs. 

If they weren't able to claim the dole they would be queuing up for them.

But that isn't the point. Simply that thevSouth Asians running curry houses never advertise for staff outside their own ethnic group. Same for Chinese grocers, restaurants and probably Polish grocers ( for all I know) Why is it that they don't seem to be held to the same standards ?

3 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

There are plenty of unemployed white people in the UK who don't have sufficient qualifications to pursue anything beyond low skill customer service jobs. 

If they weren't able to claim the dole they would be queuing up for them.

But that isn't the point. Simply that thevSouth Asians running curry houses never advertise for staff outside their own ethnic group. Same for Chinese grocers, restaurants and probably Polish grocers ( for all I know) Why is it that they don't seem to be held to the same standards ?

Maybe because they're mostly small family-run businesses and not large corporations?

25 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I'll start believing this diversity business when  I see a caucasian waiter in a curry house or asian take-away.

I know of one Indian takeaway near me which has several white employees.

This advert for staff at an Indian restaurant makes no mention of any ethnic or gender requirement. Of course, to do so would be illegal.  

As would refusing to employ someone on those grounds.

Diversity in board membership is OK as long as it is not forced as with the stupid FA board ruling that 3 members have to be women. Appointment to a board should be on grounds of qualifications not race or gender. If anybody feels they are being discriminated against there are legal procedures they can go through. Quotas are racist and sexist and only made with minorities and women in mind. Give the white man a chance.

The FA ruling would have been better to read...a minimum of 3 of each gender is required.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Diversity in board membership is OK as long as it is not forced as with the stupid FA board ruling that 3 members have to be women. Appointment to a board should be on grounds of qualifications not race or gender. If anybody feels they are being discriminated against there are legal procedures they can go through. Quotas are racist and sexist and only made with minorities and women in mind. Give the white man a chance.

The FA ruling would have been better to read...a minimum of 3 of each gender is required.

Surveys in the UK show that white people, and particularly white males, actually perform worse on the average in educational achievements than asians or blacks. Yet they are way overrepresented in proportion to their numbers in executive positions.  Sounds to me like not only is the white man being given a chance, he's being given a boost at the expense of others.

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

Its just being polite , we can use another word if you like :smile:

16 minutes ago, rijb said:

"we" ?  Are there membership fees?

The "we" could be explained another way. From the tenor of his comments, it seems to me there's a good chance his real name is Legion.

Edited by ilostmypassword

22 hours ago, the guest said:

Tesco should be ashamed of themselves, I see only white faces.  I smell discrimination here, where there should be a diverse team based on cultural vales. UK should adopt legislation to make sure everyone is given a chance at the top .

Do you see the irony in your post? Totally agree that everyone should be given a chance to develop to their full potential. But selecting people because of their sex, sexual orientation, religious or political views, race, nationality or color of their skin, is just as wrong as not selecting them based on any of those.

My ex-wife once applied to be a magistrate in a large city in the UK. A women, mother, red cross volunteer, working class Nothern back ground - step this way Madam. But at the interview they did actually ask her political views. The answer wasn't what they expected or wanted so she was turned down.  Totally wrong.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Surveys in the UK show that white people, and particularly white males, actually perform worse on the average in educational achievements than asians or blacks. Yet they are way overrepresented in proportion to their numbers in executive positions.  Sounds to me like not only is the white man being given a chance, he's being given a boost at the expense of others.

Surveys - of course must be believed. 

All boards must be made up of males/females, ethnic divisions, sexual orientations, religious orientation to reflect the % of each in the population as a whole? That's the sort of crap that comes out from the loony PC lot. And is actually dangerously close to some of the Nazi ideas. 

When will we start managing society, the number of children allowed to different groups, the education provided to those children and career choices permitted to ensure the balanced society ideal?

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Surveys - of course must be believed. 

All boards must be made up of males/females, ethnic divisions, sexual orientations, religious orientation to reflect the % of each in the population as a whole? That's the sort of crap that comes out from the loony PC lot. And is actually dangerously close to some of the Nazi ideas. 

When will we start managing society, the number of children allowed to different groups, the education provided to those children and career choices permitted to ensure the balanced society ideal?

Whose post are you responding to? Certainly not mine. I was just pointing out the white males do the worst in regards to educational achievement and yet are disproportionately represented in executive positions.  Apparently there is positive discrimination going in in favor of white men. Isn't positive discrimination something you are opposed to?

20 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, it's a fact that white boys do the worst of any identifiable ethnic or racial group in the UK. Which only makes it odder that white men still preponderate in corporate management. Reverse discrimination?

As for comparing the UK to Japan, etc.? Why stop there. Why not compare the UK to North Korea or Syria? By that standard the UK is paradise.

A stupid comparison to those countries you listed. The main reason is that people flock to the US and UK due to it being english speaking country with high standards of living. But if you want an example comparing apples to apples in Asia, Singapore does have a lot of foreigners on the board due to it being such a diverse country.

In my experience, boards are usually inhabited by the "old boys network", so it is only to be expected that they would be mainly old white men. Once girls have been in posh schools that used to be male only for long enough, they will join the "old collegians network" and will get into boards. No point in trying to change the traditions of centuries in a few years.

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

A stupid comparison to those countries you listed. The main reason is that people flock to the US and UK due to it being english speaking country with high standards of living. But if you want an example comparing apples to apples in Asia, Singapore does have a lot of foreigners on the board due to it being such a diverse country.

Yes it was a stupid comparison. That was the point I thought I had made when I replied to this:

On 3/12/2017 at 4:36 PM, Pdaz said:

Why so little help for the white class in the UK. Studies have proven that they are now thevmost underprivileged. 

Still waiting for diversity to happen in Japanese, korean, Thai, Nigerian, Saudi and a hundred other non-caucasian countries around the World.

The "we" could be explained another way. From the tenor of his comments, it seems to me there's a good chance his real name is Legion.

Sorry,not me. I am not legion ,although thinking about it those who feel as many of us do are"legion,"

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2017 at 10:36 PM, Pdaz said:

British TV news ( not the BBC ) is reporting that he was quoted out of context. He says he was making a light hearted ironic joke - As seen the board was all white and male. Just an attempt by the uber-liberals to stir up controversy.

Britains is a majority white country. Who do they expect to be on the boards of our companies ? Yes I believe there should be more women ( But only on merit, not legislation ) Black people and other minorities have the oppotunity of education, funding and a million social schemes aimed at them. If they fail to grasp these opportunities that is their fault. Why so little help for the white class in the UK. Studies have proven that they are now thevmost underprivileged. 

Still waiting for diversity to happen in Japanese, korean, Thai, Nigerian, Saudi and a hundred other non-caucasian countries around the World.

True, true. How many minorities on the boards of Saudi companies, for example?

Mind you, this PC non issue is of the west's own making, given their lack of any attempt to stop the insanity, and refusal to stand up against the PC brigade.

Of course it should not be forced and it should be based on merit. I agree but i also know that without force the old boys network would never include others.

So i am in agreement that it should be based on merit and i hate force but at the same time i think without force nothing would change.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, true. How many minorities on the boards of Saudi companies, for example?

So are you saying that because other countries have repressive laws and practices that we should do the same?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mind you, this PC non issue is of the west's own making, given their lack of any attempt to stop the insanity, and refusal to stand up against the PC brigade.

Had the term been around at the time, I'm sure that people like you would have branded the extension of voting rights in the UK to Catholics in 1791, male householders in 1824, all males over 21 and some women over 30 in 1918, all women over 21 in1928 PC nonsense!