Just thanking an unknown person

emilymat

Yesterday, at Makro on Pattaya Nua, I stupidly left my ATM card in the bangkok bank machine. I didn't realise until I got home an hour later. It's ahorrible feeling as many will know. I immediately raced down to Pattaya again from the dark side, armed with my passport etc, expecting to have to go to the bank. However, I nipped into Makro and they had my card at the desk. Big relief.

I doubt the honest person is on this forum, and indeed there is no reason whatsoever to suppose it was not a Thai, but I just want to say 'thank you' publicly.

I may be being presumptuous here; so disregard this if it doesn't apply. In my first few months in Thailand, I forgot my ATM card in the ATM several times. In Canada, things are done in the logical way, first the machine ejects your card, then it ejects the money. You are not going to walk away without the cash because that is what you came for.

I learned to count slowly 1, 2, 3, checking that I had the money, the card, and the receipt as I did so. (If you are declining the receipt, change that; it makes the process slower, giving you an extra moment to confirm that you have your card before leaving.)

In my case, most instances of forgetting the card came when I had someone else with me. I was feeling a subtle pressure to get the transaction completed as quickly as possible so as not to delay them. Now, I am doubly careful if I have someone with me.

22 minutes ago, allane said:

In Canada, things are done in the logical way, first the machine ejects your card, then it ejects the money.

After leaving my card in the machine about 3 times I finally figured out this was the problem. I was used to taking my money and walking away. Old habits don't work work so well in a new place.

Thai machine also beeps when the card is out also, but the problem is the last screen that asks if you want the receipts or not, if you don't press the button, it waits quite a while until it spit out the card, a lot of people lost their card this way

16 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Thai machine also beeps when the card is out also, but the problem is the last screen that asks if you want the receipts or not, if you don't press the button, it waits quite a while until it spit out the card, a lot of people lost their card this way

Never struck a Thai machine that beeps until you remove the card yet, but I only use the SCB machines, so maybe they don't have it.

The ones I use here play tunes to remind you to remove the card. Just adds to the general cacophony and does not really help.

I agree that for the machine to spit out the card after the cash is taken is just plain daft and pointless. Card removed then cash released is the obvious way to do it.

You are lucky someone came along quickly as if they don't, the machine swallows your card and you have to pay for a new one -- at least that is the drill with Kasikorn. Even though you know exactly what machine it is in, they don't let you reclaim the card when the machine is emptied,.

AND it grabs your card pretty quickly. If you start to walk away, realize your mistake and go back, it's gone already.

4 times and counting...

Bank staff can't open the money chamber, but they can open the card chamber. Make some noise if they give you the "mai dai" line. It helps if you speak Thai, not because that enables them to understand you better, but because it makes them realize that you aren't some here today, gone tomorrow tourist.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Thinking about it though, I would rather the card be retained vs. it wandering around unaccounted for. 

Thats why I dont use a sharpie and write my pin number on the card.

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

useless without a name on the card, well mine is anyways.

Good point.  I need to get an ID card identifying me as Mr. Be1st Valued Member, just in case a switched on cashier wants to check.  

Image result for card swipe machine

8 hours ago, allane said:

I may be being presumptuous here; so disregard this if it doesn't apply. In my first few months in Thailand, I forgot my ATM card in the ATM several times. In Canada, things are done in the logical way, first the machine ejects your card, then it ejects the money. You are not going to walk away without the cash because that is what you came for.

I learned to count slowly 1, 2, 3, checking that I had the money, the card, and the receipt as I did so. (If you are declining the receipt, change that; it makes the process slower, giving you an extra moment to confirm that you have your card before leaving.)

In my case, most instances of forgetting the card came when I had someone else with me. I was feeling a subtle pressure to get the transaction completed as quickly as possible so as not to delay them. Now, I am doubly careful if I have someone with me.

Thanks for all the replies. The fact is, for some reason, I asked for a printed balance slip, which was really unnecessary as I have on line banking. I'm sure my "Brain" must have thought I had taken the card.

I spoke to a mate about this and he said "No problem, without your pin they can't get the money". However, I don't know about other banks but my BB ATM is also acceptable for purchases and it's very rarely the cashier at places like Big C check the signature. Usually they give you a little wallet with your card in it and the receipt to sign. I suppose if someone bought a big ticket item the signature might be checked. So, it's a race about time , getting to the bank and putting a stop on the card before someone buys the weekly groceries etc!

Anyway - thanks guys

52 minutes ago, emilymat said:

Thanks for all the replies. The fact is, for some reason, I asked for a printed balance slip, which was really unnecessary as I have on line banking. I'm sure my "Brain" must have thought I had taken the card.

I spoke to a mate about this and he said "No problem, without your pin they can't get the money". However, I don't know about other banks but my BB ATM is also acceptable for purchases and it's very rarely the cashier at places like Big C check the signature. Usually they give you a little wallet with your card in it and the receipt to sign. I suppose if someone bought a big ticket item the signature might be checked. So, it's a race about time , getting to the bank and putting a stop on the card before someone buys the weekly groceries etc!

Anyway - thanks guys

tell bank card is only for atm use