i need some help with understanding a thai debitcard

3 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

I  have a new bkk debit card union pay but it doesn't have visa logo on it, does that mean I won't be able to use it for hotels specially out side Thailand? Secondly do I need to visit the branch to be able to make online payments.

Go to this thread and read.

Union pay isn't accepted by many retailers, online or in person.

Other than a ATM card it's pretty useless unless you visit China.

15 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Go to this thread and read.

Union pay isn't accepted by many retailers, online or in person.

Other than a ATM card it's pretty useless unless you visit China.

Thanks now I know I must visit the nearest bkk to replace my worthless debt card 

18 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Do you mean your rbs account is closed? Not sure what inactive is, it's either open or closed.

If you're on a work or 1 year visa in thailand you can try a bank that issues Visa debit cards. My Bangkok bank visa debit card worked abroad and on Internet but now they don't issue Visa anymore only Union Pay. Other banks like ktb might still issue visa debit cards.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I was offered a Union Pay debit card from Bangkok Bank. I refused it and was given a debit Visa card and have bought from the UK with it no problem.

21 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Do you mean your rbs account is closed? Not sure what inactive is, it's either open or closed.

If you're on a work or 1 year visa in thailand you can try a bank that issues Visa debit cards. My Bangkok bank visa debit card worked abroad and on Internet but now they don't issue Visa anymore only Union Pay. Other banks like ktb might still issue visa debit cards.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

They still issue Visa debit cards if you request one.

Well it's been a year since this Thai Payment Network requirement was setup by BKB and Union Pay and the only thing we have heard is BKB forcing everyone to use Union Pay cards and no other banks are doing this! My guess is it was another stupid Thai business idea that only lined the pockets of the bank executives involved and the scheme to have all cards in Thailand with chip and pin will never see the light of day.

Oh, all cards in Thailand will transition to having a chip....Thai credit cards have had chips for a long time. And you can't even get a non-chipped Thai debit card now....you get one today  as new issue or replacement and it's a chipped card.

Now when you say "Chip & PIN" as in using a PIN every time you use a card, well, yes, that occurring is probably still a ways down the road, not only in this country but many other countries also, as many merchants prefer using the Chip & Signature method where a person signs a receipt versus entering a PIN.   That's purely a merchant preference thing. 

went to the bank asked for  a master card and got

it activated to be able to do internet banking

they asured me  internTional transfers were very

possible

its called a SCB smartcard

it should do the job and it must be activated (it takes

a while)

also you must regester it on your phone/computer. if thats not done then it aint going to work

On 3/13/2017 at 11:55 AM, seancbk said:

With Kasikorn they give you a physical card which can be used as an ATM card and a debit card.

You can also activate (via their online banking system) a virtual shopping card for making online payments.   

You get issued a virtual visa card number with expiry date and CVS number.   

I use mine almost daily to make payments online.

You can also upgrade your ATM/VISA debit to a credit card via Kasikorn's ATM machine. Same number/same expiry/same cvv. Works online and debits your account directly. Works just the same as the virtual one except there doesn't appear to be any way to limit transaction spending like the virtual has. So its fraudulent use could clean out your account. Kasikorn is the BEST Thai bank IMO.

The RBS/Halifax have an embargo on Thailand and won't renew cards ie, send by post, have you any money at all in RBS maybe still active, then renew card next time you are in UK some banks keep an account going for a long time, Nationwide being one with less than £2 credit only and also renew cards onlne and send by post,

I received my new Halifax credit card yesterday, They sent me a letter explaining that they will only send with DHL at a cost £7.xx. All i had to do was call them and accept the charge. The hardest part was remembering the security questions.

I have also recently applied for a new account at Bangkok Bank and requested the Be 1st Smart Visa debit card firstly turning down their offer of the useless Union variety.

I am ditching Kasikorn as my branch wouldn't give me a usable debit card instead of their pretend one with your name as"privileged member". Their K-Web virtual card was good for online purchases at Lazada, eBay etc.

Going back to the OP question, yes you will need help as a debit card in Thailand doesn't always mean you can use it as a debit card!

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was offered a Union Pay debit card from Bangkok Bank. I refused it and was given a debit Visa card and have bought from the UK with it no problem.

That was in the past, those <removed> working in Bangkok bank offered me instead union pay and innocently I excepted their offer even though they had Visa debit cards!  but since I did not see Visa logo I was worried then I went back to tell them I need a Visa debit card they simply said Bangkok bank has stopped issuing them.   I have also confirmed with help line they too told the same so, I am taking my business else where.

21 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

That was in the past, those snakes working in Bangkok bank offered me instead union pay and innocently I excepted their offer even though they had Visa debit cards!  but since I did not see Visa logo I was worried then I went back to tell them I need a Visa debit card they simply said Bangkok bank has stopped issuing them.   I have also confirmed with help line they too told the same so, I am taking my business else where.

They haven't stopped issuing them....just look at several other related threads regarding the UnionPay and Visa card subject.  Bangkok Bank is still pushing their UnionPay card....pushing it hard...and some branches push it harder than others.  All kinds of excuses are being given such as the Visa card is no longer issued, you will have to come back later for the card which some people for some reason will not or can do, etc.

When going to your branch you may have to  "insist" on a Visa Rabbit card and the branch may have to order it so you will have to come back later to pick it up.  Takes them around 7 days to get the card based on other threads/posts.    The Visa Rabbit card is the one they issue as it has apparently phased out the regular Visa card.  The Visa Rabbit card is just a Visa card with the Rabbit capability/benefits included (i.e., also able to use it to pay for Bangkok Rapid Transit trips).  The wife and I got our Visa Rabbit cards just a few months ago...first thing I said when going into the branch was make it very clear we wanted the Visa card; not the UnionPay card.   We were given no resistance....walked out with the cards in hand in approx 20 minutes.   Other threads shows posts of people getting the Visa card over the last few weeks.  

Edited by Pib

^ Opened my Bangkok Bank account last Friday and told to come back this Friday for my Visa debit card as they need to produce a card with your name on it. Checked online banking and the card details are already set up showing the current transaction limit that can be changed if need be.

50 minutes ago, Pib said:

Bangkok Bank is still pushing their UnionPay card....pushing it hard...and some branches push it harder than others.  All kinds of excuses are being given such as the Visa card is no longer issued

Appreciate your input but I don't like to be pushed when it comes to my money, I read some good posts about other banks like kasikorn bank  which couple of my friends also doing business with them and never complained.

Appreciate your input but I don't like to be pushed when it comes to my money, I read some good posts about other banks like kasikorn bank  which couple of my friends also doing business with them and never complained.

I see you started another post, if you see my comment a few posts back you will note that my Kasikorn branch were not helpful so I tried a Bangkok Bank branch who were very helpful. The truth is that it depends on the attitude of the branch staff and not necessarily which Bank.

1 hour ago, redwinecheese said:

That was in the past, those <removed> working in Bangkok bank offered me instead union pay and innocently I excepted their offer even though they had Visa debit cards!  but since I did not see Visa logo I was worried then I went back to tell them I need a Visa debit card they simply said Bangkok bank has stopped issuing them.   I have also confirmed with help line they too told the same so, I am taking my business else where.

I think you are doing the right thing, and there is a lot of incompetence in Bangkok Bank staff, but at the same time I have had problems with all three Thai banks I have been involved with. They all make up their own rules just like most establishments in Thailand.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:09 PM, jikwan said:

ive got serious plans of going to my bank in the morning and i ll soon

see whats what

btw, i wrote an email to the british pp office in england asking for

a list of accepted thai banks/red flagged banks

they refused to specify

said i need to fill out a form and include photos etc

They will accept payment from any British Bank Card (visa or MasterCard) it doesn't have to be yours. Just get a friend that has a card from a British bank and give him the Thai equivalent over here.

• 2 weeks later...