Another motorist becomes victim of Uber driver witch hunt

snoop1130

Another motorist becomes victim of Uber driver witch hunt

By Coconuts Bangkok

In the midst of the recent Uber driver crackdown, another car owner said that they unjustly received a ticket for using a private vehicle to provide public transport.

Recently, local taxi operators in Chiang Mai have been reporting private cars that they suspect of providing taxi services to foreigners to the transport office.

One Thai car owner, who was not identified, said in a Facebook post last week that they had a ticket sent to their home for using a car to drop off a foreign friend at Chiang Mai Airport.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/another-motorist-becomes-victim-uber-driver-witch-hunt/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-3-14

So what's his problem?  All he has to do is go to court to dispute the ticket and as long as he is not an Uber driver he'll have a good case.  If he is an Uber driver trying to wriggle put of the fine then Uber will pay his fine as has been previously reported.

No competition allowed. You have no rights. You're here to make the rich even richer. Don't like it and you'll be sued for defamation.

Now go home and get your shine box. 

If only the rich and powerful would say how they really feel. 

How would one prove his inocent.  Would simply saying I'm not uber be cerficient?   Maybe you will need an independent 3rd party to give evidence that you have a farang friend.  Maybe evidence like you and your friend skydiving naked together, climbing Mt Everest, downing a few beers and getting drunk together and sharing a lady after the bar closes.  When they made this law they must have compiled a list of defense's 

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

So what's his problem?  All he has to do is go to court to dispute the ticket and as long as he is not an Uber driver he'll have a good case.  If he is an Uber driver trying to wriggle put of the fine then Uber will pay his fine as has been previously reported.

the problem is that when a private cars drops off a person, that driver now has the burden of proof in a court, has to take unpaid leave from his job in addition to the cost of commute and at least one day of wasted time, all on the basis of "photo evidence" provided by airport taxi drivers with no conflict of interest whatsoever.

19 hours ago, gdgbb said:

He didn't do anything wrong.  Why should he have to waste his time and energy?  Do you think it's fine if they start sending you summons for things you didn't do, and you have to go defend yourself?

16 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Exactly. Drop off a friend at the airport then have to go to court to prove your innocence. Guilty 'till proven innocent.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

How would one prove his inocent.  Would simply saying I'm not uber be cerficient?   Maybe you will need an independent 3rd party to give evidence that you have a farang friend.  Maybe evidence like you and your friend skydiving naked together, climbing Mt Everest, downing a few beers and getting drunk together and sharing a lady after the bar closes.  When they made this law they must have compiled a list of defense's 

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Seems a Thai having a foreign friend borders on presumed criminality.

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

the problem is that when a private cars drops off a person, that driver now has the burden of proof in a court, has to take unpaid leave from his job in addition to the cost of commute and at least one day of wasted time, all on the basis of "photo evidence" provided by airport taxi drivers with no conflict of interest whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, Redline said:

He didn't do anything wrong.  Why should he have to waste his time and energy?  Do you think it's fine if they start sending you summons for things you didn't do, and you have to go defend yourself?

Ask yourselves this question, why would a taxi driver report a non-Uber driver for dropping off his foreign friend, what would be the point?   If he was doing that just for the hell of it, why did he choose that person to report, did he report every car that dropped someone off?  Is it possible that the taxi driver knew something about the driver who claimed he didn't work illegally for Uber? 

15 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Ask yourselves this question, why would a taxi driver report a non-Uber driver for dropping off his foreign friend, what would be the point?   If he was doing that just for the hell of it, why did he choose that person to report, did he report every car that dropped someone off?  Is it possible that the taxi driver knew something about the driver who claimed he didn't work illegally for Uber? 

Ask yourself this question, would a taxi driver rather go to a private car and start questioning the driver's legitimacy in dropping off his passenger, or would that same taxi driver rather zoom his camera phone from a distance and then just email the pictures to the Transport Office and let them sort it out? The point is not that they might or might not fine a Uber driver, but that they are fining private drivers, obviously.

22 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Yeah, that would be straightforward and no inconvenience whatsoever.

11 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Ask yourself this question, would a taxi driver rather go to a private car and start questioning the driver's legitimacy in dropping off his passenger, or would that same taxi driver rather zoom his camera phone from a distance and then just email the pictures to the Transport Office and let them sort it out? The point is not that they might or might not fine a Uber driver, but that they are fining private drivers, obviously.

Probably not either, why would he do that?  For what reason?

"They" have not been found to be "fining private drivers" yet, unless the one driver concerned pays the fine without an argument, private drivers cannot be fined for that.  If the driver doesn't contest the ticket then that throws a different light on it.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, that would be straightforward and no inconvenience whatsoever.

That is not being disputed but how would you know what is inconvenient for that driver anyway? 

5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

That is not being disputed but how would you know what is inconvenient for that driver anyway? 

He is a fellow human being who, like me, would find going to court both unpleasant and inconvenient. Probably similar to me being stopped en-route  to the airport with my wife in my own vehicle.

Are you living in a cloud?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He is a fellow human being who, like me, would find going to court both unpleasant and inconvenient. Probably similar to me being stopped en-route  to the airport with my wife in my own vehicle.

Are you living in a cloud?

"Probably similar to me being stopped en-route  to the airport with my wife in my own vehicle.

Are you living in a cloud?"

No, I'm not, are you?  The driver in question wasn't stopped en-route  to the airport with his wife in his own vehicle.

On 3/15/2017 at 3:47 PM, gdgbb said:

Like, he was talking to his girlfriend?

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"Probably similar to me being stopped en-route  to the airport with my wife in my own vehicle.

Are you living in a cloud?"

No, I'm not, are you?  The driver in question wasn't stopped en-route  to the airport with his wife in his own vehicle.

He was issued a ticket after dropping a friend at the airport.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He was issued a ticket after dropping a friend at the airport.

I know that's what he said, I'm not disputing that he did drop someone off.  So what would be the reason for him in particular at that airport to be reported if that's all he was doing?

Edited by gdgbb

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

I know that's what he said, I'm not disputing that he did drop someone off.  So what would be the reason for him in particular at that airport to be reported if that's all he was doing?

Exactly, he was issued a ticket for nothing.,

Very inconvenient.

And I said 'similar' as some years ago the police were stopping non-taxi vehicles going to the main airport in order to catch non-official taxis. Many people were  harassed simply for being a foreigner in a vehicle being driven by a Thai.

Edited by jacko45k

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Redline said:

Guilty until proven innocent.  The next step is nobody can give anybody a ride, since you are technically taking business away from a taxi driver!

On 3/14/2017 at 7:51 PM, gdgbb said:

How do you prove that you are not an uber driver? 

in court:

"Your honor, Please inspect my smartphone device, it does not have the uber app"
"OBJECTION! The defendant has clearly deleted the app from his device!"

"hmmmmmm...." (at this point the kapao smell starts to be overtaken by a burning smell, must be the judge is trying to think)

"nonsense! if he is not an uber driver, he should prove it!!"

"b-b-b-ut judge, check my smartphone, I have the app called "not an uber driver" installed"

"ok, great, NOT GUILTY!" *SLAMS HAMMER*

On 3/18/2017 at 4:47 AM, gk10002000 said:

Guilty until proven innocent.  The next step is nobody can give anybody a ride, since you are technically taking business away from a taxi driver!

And the step after that is that car sales are illegal, selling a vehicle to a private citizen for the purpose of transport is competing with the taxi companies!

On 3/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, gdgbb said:

The reason is that it's impossible to tell if it's uber or not. If it's a thai driver and a foreign passenger going to the airport it LOOKS like uber. But it could also just be a friend, partner, whatever. That's why it's called a witchhunt,,,, u know what I mean?

4 hours ago, hobz said:

How do you prove that you are not an uber driver?

Perhaps the court would expect to see evidence that he was a Uber driver. 

Of course, it may not be possible for him to prove that he isn't an Uber driver if he really is an illegal Uber driver (which was really my point)!

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Perhaps the court would expect to see evidence that he was a Uber driver. 

Of course, it may not be possible for him to prove that he isn't an Uber driver if he really is an illegal Uber driver (which was really my point)!

So your point is that if he is guilty he cannot prove that he is innocent. Ok, good point. What if he is innocent?

*Edit* i understand what you are saying now,, you are saying that he is innocent until proven guilty right? And the fact the he dropped people of at the airport does not prove his guilt so he should be allowed to go free unless there is more evidence to prove that he is an uber driver?

Edited by hobz