The Hangout - 6 and out!

Shoeless Joe

Only 6 months...that's approximately how long it took for the "new" owners of the Hangout to open its doors, peek at the outside world and rapidly close them again. Regretfully, I'm unsurprised at the latest development after having been there a couple of times.

Even after (or despite) the overt advertising of The Hangout by EvenStevens on this site, problems again surfaced quickly and as (it seems) usual, they were (as I see it) is two-fold:

1) Location - The Hangout couldn't be situated in a worse place. There's virtually zero passing foot traffic and it's way out of town along the Hang Dong road. So most customers (predominately farangs) ,have to drive to get there. Also and contrary to expectations, the Kad Farang shopping mall and market customers ignored The Hangout almost entirely.

2) Poor Management - Did they know what a business plan was? I can only believe that the management (whoever they were) must have been phenomenally inexperienced at running this sort of business. It doesn't take much to sell good, cold beer (you just order it from the suppliers) but the food was at best, unremarkable and more often than not, downright horrible. Equally poor and mundane was the level of service from the Thai waiting staff who seemed poorly trained and inattentive.The exception was the live music which was probably the best part of a Friday night visit. And why? Because muso's put 100% effort into what they're doing, all the time. Maybe that's a lesson for the next owners (if there are any).

Anyway, I take no pleasure in seeing (yet) another business fail in double quick time.

Regards,

Joe

Bad management, partner conflicts, running out of operational money is what usually brings small business down within it's first year. Sounds like the odds were against it from the get go..bad location et...

I wonder how 'Papa Rock' keeps it kicking?....been meaning to stop there for ages now and have a burger/beer and check out the band....what of these days,best make it soon.

1 hour ago, HaleySabai said:

Bad management, partner conflicts, running out of operational money is what usually brings small business down within it's first year. Sounds like the odds were against it from the get go..bad location et...

I wonder how 'Papa Rock' keeps it kicking?....been meaning to stop there for ages now and have a burger/beer and check out the band....what of these days,best make it soon.

That KFC opening 25 meters away & taking half the parking lot & all the passing visibility had to be the biggest of many nails in the coffin + many other  newly opened places to eat within the main body of the complex....

That alone would do it....Add the poor service & food to the mix and it was doomed from the start.....

2 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

the way nikkys been going latly ,id be surprised if he makes it thru low season . food is less than average , and the service is worse . 

papa rock has been dying a long slow death for awhile now .

48 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

That KFC opening 25 meters away & taking half the parking lot & all the passing visibility had to be the biggest of many nails in the coffin + many other  newly opened places to eat within the main body of the complex....

That alone would do it....Add the poor service & food to the mix and it was doomed from the start.....

Apparently it was the same cook from the previous establishment. Maybe the reason I got food poisoning. And at least the waitresses came outside, unlike the previous establishment. And some folk used to rave about the previous establishment...

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

Apparently it was the same cook from the previous establishment. Maybe the reason I got food poisoning. And at least the waitresses came outside, unlike the previous establishment. And some folk used to rave about the previous establishment...

Seemed more like the food from the Oakwood.....

Food was better at the Game than the Oakwood.....I live close enough to bike there but rarely did even though convenient - better food was worth getting in the car & driving....

The guy that ran the Game told me they'd brought the cook in from their place in BKK.....But towards the it seemed like they'd made a kitchen downgrade....

Edited by pgrahmm

Not sure if this is well known or not, but as I ve been told the same dodgy owners that had The Game were still involved in this new "enterprise".  Main problem for me was they couldnt make their minds up whether they were a sports bar or not. They thought it was OK to have the sport on but with no commentary, preferring instead it seems to have live or recorded music while the sport was showing. Sorry, but the expression about trying to kill two birds with one stone fits perfectly. Sports watchers want to hear the atmosphere and commentary as well.

Papa Rock? I drive by there literally every day, sometimes several times, and there are hardly ever any people inside or cars outside, suggesting sadly the inevitable demise of the place.  Yummy Pizza, on the other hand, busy every day, lunchtime and evening, and deservedly so in my opinion,  excellent quality of food, well cooked, big portions if thats what you need, and great value for money.....and no, I have no connection,  just live around the Hang Dong/ Nongkwai area and prefer to eat locally whenever possible these days.

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

But you promoted the place so hard.on TV, mate

regards worgeordie

He has another of his new haunts to promote now at the other side of town. :signthaivisa:,well almost!   1507623.GIF

But sadly maybe the 4th business on that spot to fail in about 6 years, but the KFC opening literally right in front of them,how can they not have known?

8 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Papa Rocks have a friend who Raves about the place. We go out one day place closed ok try again. The next time we go out sorry no hamburger buns this is 2pm, never been back whats the point

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Papa Rocks have a friend who Raves about the place. We go out one day place closed ok try again. The next time we go out sorry no hamburger buns this is 2pm, never been back whats the point

Yeah, it's been slipping.....

Kad Farang despite a few false starts has become a very busy centre.The majority of tenants seem to be doing OK and the open air food court always close to capacity when we do lunch but a sports bar just could never see that working.Location ,location,sports bars need to be where the tourist frequent and they sure don't have enough reasons to be in that area,especially at night.Bad business plan as many of us said years back

If it had been right at the front of the complex facing 108, had flashing neon lights galore etc etc, it may have worked.     Truth is not many even knew it  existed tucked away at the back and those of us that did know were just not turned on by what it offered.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:16 PM, EL159 said:

Not sure if this is well known or not, but as I ve been told the same dodgy owners that had The Game were still involved in this new "enterprise".  Main problem for me was they couldnt make their minds up whether they were a sports bar or not. They thought it was OK to have the sport on but with no commentary, preferring instead it seems to have live or recorded music while the sport was showing. Sorry, but the expression about trying to kill two birds with one stone fits perfectly. Sports watchers want to hear the atmosphere and commentary as well.

Papa Rock? I drive by there literally every day, sometimes several times, and there are hardly ever any people inside or cars outside, suggesting sadly the inevitable demise of the place.  Yummy Pizza, on the other hand, busy every day, lunchtime and evening, and deservedly so in my opinion,  excellent quality of food, well cooked, big portions if thats what you need, and great value for money.....and no, I have no connection,  just live around the Hang Dong/ Nongkwai area and prefer to eat locally whenever possible these days.

I agree about Papa Rocks.  Last time I was there the food was just ok, but the smoking killed me.  
Yummy Pizza is my go to place and I like the location, the guy that runs it is quite social and always says hi and food is consistently good.

17 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I agree about Papa Rocks.  Last time I was there the food was just ok, but the smoking killed me.  
Yummy Pizza is my go to place and I like the location, the guy that runs it is quite social and always says hi and food is consistently good.

Yes, I agree about the smoking. Last time I was there, the owner and friends were sitting at virtually the next table, most were smoking illegal substances, and were totally oblivious to actual "customers", eating and drinking at the next table. I understand the owner always has big ideas but doesnt seem to know how to operate professionally.

1 minute ago, EL159 said:

Yes, I agree about the smoking. Last time I was there, the owner and friends were sitting at virtually the next table, most were smoking illegal substances, and were totally oblivious to actual "customers", eating and drinking at the next table. I understand the owner always has big ideas but doesnt seem to know how to operate professionally.

pipe dreams is what there called. 

13 minutes ago, DiamondKing said:

120,000 a month rent should of been the first clue it will be difficlt to makeit work 

My friends got a place on Sirlmankalagarn for 10k....not making a lot, but sustainable...I do not think they would last a month paying even 50k...fun place..beer is cheap and cold.  Even if I did have a car here, I sure as heck wouldn't be driving 13 km to go out drinking, when I have much better options within 2 Km + 20000 good lookers and about five ways to get home.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 3/16/2017 at 6:50 PM, trainman34014 said:

If it had been right at the front of the complex facing 108, had flashing neon lights galore etc etc, it may have worked.     Truth is not many even knew it  existed tucked away at the back and those of us that did know were just not turned on by what it offered.

I'm not even convinced that a sports bar, no matter how well it's run would work. Other than the weekend what sports can be shown Live during the week? European sports are invariably Live after midnight and US sports are early morning, as well as being mostly only popular with Americans. The UN Irish certainly does well out of sports at the weekend but I doubt if much of their business Mon-Fri is sports related. 

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Community bars need personalities. They can be either customers or owners but you need banter in a bar. You need to know that there will be a bunch of fellas laughing and joking even if you aren't participating. The bar needs this kind of energy. My local pubs back home were all like this plus women weren't encouraged unless they were slappers. Men can be themselves. This is a formula that works in most places where beer is sold to men.

TV screens, menus and absent bar owners doesn't create 'atmosphere'.