Looks like Vientiane now the only 'hassle free' embassy/consulate for TV left in region

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The process there?

Apply 9:30-12:30 on day 1, receive passport back with visa between 9:30 and 12:30 day 2. Need completed application form, visa fee (300 HKD), one photo, copies of passport data page and landing slip. As a UK national, I was asked for nothing further, but their website suggests they may want copies of flights into and out of Thailand.. Certainly, no hotel or financial proof nonsense. The consulate is very conveniently located, and they were super efficient when I was there.

Edited by BritTim

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The process there?

I'm Irish and same process as @BritTim, jut photo and photocopies of passport and HK landing slip. No flights required, no hotels required, no financial proof required. There were under 10 people in the consulate so it didn't take very long.

I had booked another night anyway but as they do collection in the morning rather than the afternoon like most consulates, you could fly back to Thailand in the afternoon the day you pick up.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Apply 9:30-12:30 on day 1, receive passport back with visa between 9:30 and 12:30 day 2. Need completed application form, visa fee (300 HKD), one photo, copies of passport data page and landing slip. As a UK national, I was asked for nothing further, but their website suggests they may want copies of flights into and out of Thailand.. Certainly, no hotel or financial proof nonsense. The consulate is very conveniently located, and they were super efficient when I was there.

Tim, thanks for your info. I tried to like your content and was bounced to a "sorry we cannot identify the content you are trying to view" page. A chap messaged me recently advising he had same issue with one of mine with same bounce page about 2 weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Tim, thanks for your info. I tried to like your content and was bounced to a "sorry we cannot identify the content you are trying to view" page. A chap messaged me recently advising he had same issue with one of mine with same bounce page about 2 weeks ago.

The like button is broken right now for everyone across the site I think.

16 minutes ago, geisha said:

Can you show cash , 20.000B , or euros for example ?

Where? Vientiane still don't require any proof of financial support.

The 20,000B cash requirement is something that immigration occasionally demand at the actual border crossing and is separate from the visa application. If you ARE asked at the actual border, having 20,000B in cash is your best bet and better than anything else, as it is what is actually specified in the immigration regulations and is what they ask for at the border, if they are actually asking (usually, they don't). 

If you are asking, could you show 20,000B cash to a consulate OTHER  than Vientiane, that does request bank proof, I don't know, I guess it would depend on the mood of the consulate and the officer there but I suspect you would be better off with a bank book / bank statement that they can file a copy of with the application, box ticked which is the important thing. 

1 minute ago, geisha said:

Blorg , but , generally speaking, must the cash be in Baht ? Euros ?

Geisha, again, where? What are you talking about here? You don't need it applying for a tourist visa at the consulate and in 99%+ of cases you won't need it at the border either, so what specifically are you talking about here?

If you are referring to the showing 20,000 to the border official on entry (which 99% of the time you won't be asked to do) I believe the immigration regulation as written includes "or equivalent" so yes, you SHOULD be able to show them euros or dollars of equivalent amount,  and there are reports of people showing dollars, yes, but bear in mind that if they are asking you in the first place it is probably because they are looking for excuses to deny you entry.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

If asked for them they want hard copies of them to be attached to your application.

My bank book shows  FTT (foreign telex transfer) for my incoming transfers from outside the country.

i use transferwise to send money and these show up as local transfers because they are.

18 hours ago, parryhandy said:

i use transferwise to send money and these show up as local transfers because they are.

You might want additional documentation in that case, from Transferwise, showing that they are foreign transfers.

Or possibly not, it's not clear if the consulate cares about that or just cares that you have the money.

But up to you if you want to show a bank book with regular local transfers without any other documentation as proof you are a "genuine tourist" not working in Thailand... personally I don't think I would offer that if I couldn't back up the source of the transfers.

On 19/03/2017 at 5:36 AM, blorg said:

I'm Irish and same process as @BritTim, jut photo and photocopies of passport and HK landing slip. No flights required, no hotels required, no financial proof required. There were under 10 people in the consulate so it didn't take very long.

I had booked another night anyway but as they do collection in the morning rather than the afternoon like most consulates, you could fly back to Thailand in the afternoon the day you pick up.

I forgot the area but last time there I found a nice reggae style bistro bar so I might stick around for 1 night to get a Caribbean fix. Near Hollywood motel and a pizza joint called paesanos