Thailand bribery rate is worse than Myanmar and Cambodia: survey

rooster59

Just now, whatawonderfulday said:

The difference is the army shot 58 people in the back !! brave cowards or what ?

The difference is that if the blackshirts had not shot at the army it would not have happend.. They wanted to cause an incident like this and they got it. It was pre planned by them to make the army look bad. The army responded badly... but now that we know the blackshirts were there we cant just assume all kills were done by the army.

But I do agree the army messed up big time but were put on the spot by the blackshirts who wanted this. 

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Agree with you but those in denial, those who support armed coups, those who prefer the feudal system, those who perhaps are connected to the Elite and those other TV posters  who are wearing the rose tinted glasses and most probably never lived in Thailand, those who think Bangkok and Pattaya are the epicentres of all Thai life, will now  most probably crawl out in support of the corrupt administration and its influential supporters.

"...those who think Bangkok and Pattaya are the epicentres of all Thai life, will now  most probably crawl out in support of the corrupt administration and its influential supporters".  I try not single out people that live in BKK or Pattaya, as I don't know them all. You are spot on in regards to the corruption and the ties to influential supporters.

5 hours ago, chainarong said:

You should've been around in 97/98 Thailand was the in word on everyone's lips, the emerging economy they said, in everything from commerce to living there, everybody talked about Thailand, they still do with distaste..........................................:coffee1:

You should have been around 71,72,73,74,75,76. Government never messed with Farangs. The BIB wouldn't even talk to you if they could avoid it.   Immigration was way easy.  Things were a lot less expensive. Of course there wasn't anything to buy except Thai stuff.   There were thousands of Americans all over the country.  The best jobs for Thai's was working on the military bases.  Life was good...............

3 hours ago, kowpot said:

You should have been around 71,72,73,74,75,76. Government never messed with Farangs. The BIB wouldn't even talk to you if they could avoid it.   Immigration was way easy.  Things were a lot less expensive. Of course there wasn't anything to buy except Thai stuff.   There were thousands of Americans all over the country.  The best jobs for Thai's was working on the military bases.  Life was good...............

Sorry. Those Americans are either dead or going soon. The Americans now are a different breed, good at holding either books or beer only.

4 hours ago, Belzybob said:

Obviously this survey was based on overt bribery rather than covert. Otherwise Australia would have featured much higher.

Covert bribes are company secrets. That's why RR refuses to disclose...

I read things like this and am pleased that I have made the move to the Philippines.  Is it perfect ?  No

Is anywhere perfect ?   No

I do currently like it here, been here nearly three years and still have my house in Thailand and come back for a two month holiday each year and really noticing the changes.

I have friends who are longtime Thai residents and each has had to make considerable adjustment to continue to live there and they are not happy.  The corruption levels in the Philippines used to be very bad but it is getting better all the time.  I am certain it is still an issue for the big end of town but not for me, I have never been asked or needed to pay one.

18 hours ago, Belzybob said:

Obviously this survey was based on overt bribery rather than covert. Otherwise Australia would have featured much higher.

In very white gloves in higher levels....

How come that Australia's 20 millions people use to have no debt nearly 20 years ago and now this "prosperous"  country is having billions of dollars debt.... Australia has so much goodies in the ground which "some countries" are digging it out for nearly free of charge or in a form of repaying debts...where ordinary citizens are suffering more and more hardship not mentioned about young people who has not much future...

:coffee1:

p.s

So, looking at this map ...

If the red color shows corruption then nearly whole world is corrupted....more or less.. :) :passifier:

Edited by gigman

13 hours ago, trogers said:

Sorry. Those Americans are either dead or going soon. The Americans now are a different breed, good at holding either books or beer only.

That's funny, because I am still here and so are many of my friends.

To apply a different perspective to the quoted numbers of this article I read the full report and found that there were 176 countries surveyed and there seems to be 103 countries with a better corruption index with only 74 countries having a more desirable one.

1 hour ago, gigman said:

In very white gloves in higher levels....

How come that Australia's 20 millions people use to have no debt nearly 20 years ago and now this "prosperous"  country is having billions of dollars debt.... Australia has so much goodies in the ground which "some countries" are digging it out for nearly free of charge or in a form of repaying debts...where ordinary citizens are suffering more and more hardship not mentioned about young people who has not much future...

:coffee1:

p.s

So, looking at this map ...

If the red color shows corruption then nearly whole world is corrupted....more or less.. :) :passifier:

Welcome to the new social order. The deviation from the morality laid down by our forefathers is very obvious, and has been prophesied thousands of years ago.

23 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Agree with you but those in denial, those who support armed coups, those who prefer the feudal system, those who perhaps are connected to the Elite and those other TV posters  who are wearing the rose tinted glasses and most probably never lived in Thailand, those who think Bangkok and Pattaya are the epicentres of all Thai life, will now  most probably crawl out in support of the corrupt administration and its influential supporters.

I've spent thirty five years associated with Thai, in the old day's it was a gimmie that people just disappeared, were murdered and lives destroyed or arrested for no reason except to criticize the junta then never seen again , now it's starting all over again, Thailand has not learned from it's past mistakes .  

Edited by chainarong

1 minute ago, trogers said:

Welcome to the new social order. The deviation from the morality laid down by our forefathers is very obvious, and has been prophesied thousands of years ago.

But it is hard to swallow that if you believe in a country where you spent nearly 40 years after running away from fathers country under communism.

23 hours ago, Crash999 said:

There's no way this is accurate. Who on earth did they survey? 

In Myanmar corruption is everywhere. Run a factory and expect surprise visits from officials on a monthly basis. Your whole day disappears as they run around finding violations and assessing on the spot fines. Then they expect you to take them to lunch or dinner with free flow whiskey. 

Goods ready for delivery? Send a crew with the container to get it through customs, X-ray, and onto the boat. Each with small payments to keep things moving. 

Traffic police I would say are about the same as Thailand. But that's about it. 

Yes the survey is somewhat misleading, there are a lot less companies in Myanmar than Thailand. A friend of mine moved his factory to Myanmar, he says its like how Thailand is 30 years ago. Thailand hasn't improve much, but due to the crack down on soldiers against bribery, the police and civil servants are more afraid to ask for bribes. There are an increase in fake soldiers, but those can easily be deterred if you ask for their document.

My factory was checked last year and this year, last year fake soldiers came and say they need to check my factory, when asked for their document, they quickly left. This year the real soldiers came, they gladly provided the documents and were ok with us taking pictures of them as well, they even said that people are so afraid to ask for their ID and we were the few that did.

Thailands ranking dropped mainly due to the transparency front and in regards to free speech and lack of independent oversight on the current government. I think bribery cases are on the decline.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, JerryinTH said:

Thailand 5 years ago was much more fun than today. I don't judge that by who ever was in charge during that time, but whoever it was, he/she left most of us alone. 

No constant changes of the visa rules, no insane 'happy zones' and bogus raids. 

And 20 years ago it was better still.  Strange really because corruption and the like was still as big a problem then as it is today, but the Thai's just did genuinely seem happier.