Help me fix my fan.

JaiMaai

2 hours ago, Randell said:

So if a  running fan pops and slight ozone smell and stops turning but still can turn free it's likely to be a thermal fuse I am getting this right. And if so would a retired carpenter who is more used to a hammer than a screwdriver be able to fix it? Or do I need to find a shop to do so or do I need to replace it. I would rather fix than replace as it  ran quiet before the dreaded pop. 

Any and all suggestions appreciated

Randell

Not necessarily the case because I don't think many of the cheaper fans have a thermal fuse/overload in the windings or thereabouts.

The most common cause of these fans stopping is the capacitor blowing out, either internally or actually popping out, and these can be found either in the space behind the switch in the fan base/housing, or sometimes attached to the motor itself. Either way you will need a soldering iron to fix it or you could try the "Thai way" whereby you cut the old capacitor out leaving its wires attached and strip them back a little, just enough to twist connect to the new capacitor wires, and be sure to do it well and tape them up.

Not ideal, but may serve its purpose.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a popping sound and a smell of ozone come from an electrical motor, it is a general indication, the motor has a dead short in it, meaning the internal insulation has failed and the power/electricity is running straight to earth.

This explains the motor coming to a complete stop. (however, the motor can still, be turned freely by hand).

One cause of a dead short comes from the insulation lacquer that coats the windings (copper wire) breaking down, allowing the electricity coursing through the windings, to run straight to earth, creating a popping sound when it arcs out.

The smell of "ozone" is the odour of burnt insulation lacquer.

In short, the motor is shot.

As mentioned in an earlier comment by Xylophone, the lower end market type fans run very cheap bushings, rather than bearings and many do not have thermal fuses

18 minutes ago, kangaloowest said:

When a popping sound and a smell of ozone come from an electrical motor, it is a general indication, the motor has a dead short in it, meaning the internal insulation has failed and the power/electricity is running straight to earth.

This explains the motor coming to a complete stop. (however, the motor can still, be turned freely by hand).

One cause of a dead short comes from the insulation lacquer that coats the windings (copper wire) breaking down, allowing the electricity coursing through the windings, to run straight to earth, creating a popping sound when it arcs out.

The smell of "ozone" is the odour of burnt insulation lacquer.

In short, the motor is shot.

As mentioned in an earlier comment by Xylophone, the lower end market type fans run very cheap bushings, rather than bearings and many do not have thermal fuses

It is true that the cheaper fans can suffer from insulation breakdown in the windings and although the electricity does not run straight to earth (usually there is no earth on these things) it does mean that the fan will lose power and if it's really bad, will stop.

For the sake of a 50 baht capacitor, I would give that a try first as it's a very simple operation and only requires a screwdriver, then if it doesn't work, as kangaloowest has said, the motor is probably shot.

Thanks fellas good information all of it I will try the capacitor first can always bin it later but It was a very quiet Hitari fan when working. Be old and retired would rather try a fix than just through away it goes against the grain a bit thanks again very nice to have such a broad depth of invaluable information so easily accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you what I do when a fan starts giving me problems. I take off the blade and covers and lay the fan on its back. I squirt lighter fluid around the shaft and let it run into the bearing. After a few minutes I squirt sewing maching oil around the shaft and into the bearing. I give the oil a little time to soak into the bearing. I then take off the housing and do exactly the same for the back bearing. It helps to take off the little box that contains the worm gear that moves the fan back and forth. That gives easier access to the back bearing. I suspect the oil in the bearing gets gummy because just oil does not work. The lighter fluid is needed to dissolve the sticky gummy oil residue.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I took it to one shop and it was determined to be a blown motor rather than capacitor or fuse. I found a shop in Wiang Chai that has it now and am not sure if he is fixing the motor or replacing.  iIt it should be ready for pick up early next week I would think. I will certainly let you know the final out come and price.

Randell

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this forum and regards also a Hatari fan.

I recently bought a large Hatari pedestal fan and thought all was good.

Well it is good but maybe too good.

Slowest speed is very fast and 3rd is near supersonic.

Is there any simple way to slow the whole thing down at all?

For me, i would be happy if slowspeed was in fact 3rd speed ,its that fast [and noisy ]

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT..this is the large 18" remote control model if that makes any difference.

I also have a smaller Hatari and that is nowhere near as fast.

Edited by happyas

5 hours ago, happyas said:

Just found this forum and regards also a Hatari fan.

I recently bought a large Hatari pedestal fan and thought all was good.

Well it is good but maybe too good.

Slowest speed is very fast and 3rd is near supersonic.

Is there any simple way to slow the whole thing down at all?

For me, i would be happy if slowspeed was in fact 3rd speed ,its that fast [and noisy ]

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT..this is the large 18" remote control model if that makes any difference.

I also have a smaller Hatari and that is nowhere near as fast.

It might be an idea to take your Fan and receipt back to the shop if at all possible and show them what your concern is by comparing it against another Fan of the same model, rather than trying to diagnose the problem of a newly bought one.

4 hours ago, kangaloowest said:

It might be an idea to take your Fan and receipt back to the shop if at all possible and show them what your concern is by comparing it against another Fan of the same model, rather than trying to diagnose the problem of a newly bought one.

It's not  a problem with the fan, some people like a powerful blast, but for me personally i don't.

I was thinking along the lines of something like, a dimmer switch for eg that controls the lights, or some other device that would allow me to slow the speed down.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue and read through the whole thread.

Hatari fan.  I took it apart, WD40'd everything, cleaned the gunk out (wasn't much), changed the capacitor (about 60 baht on eBay, free shipping) and put it all back together.  Now it turns smoothly whereas before it turned very stiffly, and it runs but not as fast as it should (similar to the OP's video in this thread) and you have to start it with your hand.  It does run backwards, so according to this thread that means the capacitor doesn't work.  But I think it's more likely I just didn't put it back together properly.

Looking at the internal wiring, everything is connected but the wiring looks a bit tired so maybe a connection isn't good somewhere.  Of the 3 power settings, it only works on 3.  1 and 2 don't work.  So I guess something to do with the motor or wiring.  It's a cheap fan, was about 600-700 baht so not worth repairing if the cost of the motor is going to be 300+.

I'm not prepared to disassemble it further and start rewiring or resoldering myself either, so I'll keep it how it is and stick it in a cupboard and maybe it'll get some use next April.

Anything than buying fan blades and cleaning dust on blade cage and motor, I clean them and use them until they die.

I buy new fan blades @ Tesco Lotus Superhighway in Chiang Mai.

I buy Series brand fans at Makro Superhighway in CM, they are a faster speed. They are 3-speeds.

Speed number 1 is same as number 3 on most fans. I have had for 1.5 years.

Very good seeing life of a fan in CM heat is 9-12 months average during my 34 months in CM.

I also have Hatari 18-inch blade Industrial adjustable-height floor-model fan, it is very fast and circulates well, 2000 THB @ Tesco Lotus Superhighway in CM.

I buy Lucky Misu fans through Lazada.  There entire line from exhaust fans are available.  They come with a 2 year warranty.  Last month I had an exhaust fan that was 11 months old fail.  Sent them an email and they gave return instructions.  I sent it EMS on Monday, 92 baht, they received it Wednesday morning and I received a new one via EMS on Friday.