Help me fix my fan.

JaiMaai

I have a Hatari fan that stopped working. I'm sure it's a relatively simple fix but I'm currently stuck.

1. There is no obvious evidence of the windings burning out.

2. The thermal fuse has not blown.

3. The fan turns freely when turned by hand so I don't think it needs oiled but maybe it does.

4. The fan would turn VERY slowly if started by hand.

Based on these factors I changed the capacitor (1.8 microfarad 400 V) but the fan still has a problem. It still won't work properly. If you give the fan a hand start then it will run, a lot faster than before I changed the cap, but it's not fixed.

Any ideas. I want to fix this because I want to learn about how motors work better. It's been a long time since I studied the theory at Uni and I want to get some practice in.....

If I have to buy a new one eventually then so be it but fixing myself is better just so I know I did it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had this problem myself you have addressed the two usual problems  cap and bearing lube    after that i have never found any further fixes    dont know  unless of course you delve into rotors etc its cheaper to buy new    by the way high price does not buy you extra quality   but it does get you brand names if your into that

18 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

. It's been a long time since I studied the theory at Uni

There's a university course in fixing cheap fans?

Put the fan in/near your bin and spend less than THB 1000/US$30/€ 37 for a new one ... or are you living off income in pounds sterling?

34 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

There's a university course in fixing cheap fans?

Put the fan in/near your bin and spend less than THB 1000/US$30/€ 37 for a new one ... or are you living off income in pounds sterling?

Why bother with the last part of your reply - did you make the effort to read all his post -

19 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

If I have to buy a new one eventually then so be it but fixing myself is better just so I know I did it.

He wasn't even having a go at anything Thai either.........:shock1:

32 minutes ago, topt said:

He wasn't even having a go at anything Thai either.........:shock1:

I was making a suggestion to save him the bother despite his quest for personal achievement in appliance maintenance, admirably though that may be. 

Not sure what relevance fan engineering or the life span of electrical appliances has to do with "having a go at anything Thai."  Built-in obsolescence in industrial design ... designing a product with an artificially limited useful lifespan ... is hardly a Thai innovation.

Some of our farang brotherhood with faltering homeland economies and plummeting currency exchange rates might, understandably, feel compelled to be extraordinarily frugal.

Yes, I did read the whole post. My reaction was both visceral and informed, though obviously disturbing to some especially sensitive readers. Sorry to have caused you a tizzy.

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I was making a suggestion to save him the bother despite his quest for personal achievement in appliance maintenance, admirably though that may be. 

Not sure what relevance fan engineering or the life span of electrical appliances has to do with "having a go at anything Thai."  Built-in obsolescence in industrial design ... designing a product with an artificially limited useful lifespan ... is hardly a Thai innovation.

Some of our farang brotherhood with faltering homeland economies and plummeting currency exchange rates might, understandably, feel compelled to be extraordinarily frugal.

Yes, I did read the whole post. My reaction was both visceral and informed, though obviously disturbing to some.

always some <deleted> rather like me to upset the apple cart

In my house, fans run 24h/day. The first one I bought ran only one year. I used to clean grids and propeller every month.

Now I clean the fans every 2 weeks and every 2 months I open the motor cover and do a bit of silicon spray in both bearings (front and rear). They are running now for almost 2 years without any problem and very quiet.

You could make a try with a 3.3 microF capacitor or add another 1.8 in parallel.

JaiMaii, if you could let us know if the fan was repaired, and how, it would be appreciated by many on here, I'm sure.

It's clear that your post is about finding an answer to a problem as well as learning something new.   It's not about saving some money, although there's nothing wrong with that.

It's not fixed yet. Changing the capacitor has improved it but it's still not turning 100% freely. I'm going to try some oil or grease on the bearings next but I didn't have the time today. If that doesn't work then I'm going to give up.

20 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I have a Hatari fan that stopped working. I'm sure it's a relatively simple fix but I'm currently stuck.

1. There is no obvious evidence of the windings burning out.

2. The thermal fuse has not blown.

3. The fan turns freely when turned by hand so I don't think it needs oiled but maybe it does.

4. The fan would turn VERY slowly if started by hand.

Based on these factors I changed the capacitor (1.8 microfarad 400 V) but the fan still has a problem. It still won't work properly. If you give the fan a hand start then it will run, a lot faster than before I changed the cap, but it's not fixed.

Any ideas. I want to fix this because I want to learn about how motors work better. It's been a long time since I studied the theory at Uni and I want to get some practice in.....

To fix, please pay 1,000 baht and buy new.

3 minutes ago, RigPig said:

Are you trying to start it switched to low or high speed, check the speed control switch and is the motor actually getting ful voltage on high...

this post is now getting into the realms of a previous poster            There's a university course in fixing cheap fans?      

I assume you have a wall mounted Hatari Fan like I have. When the fan sticks, I just spray the bearing with WD40 or similar using the fine nozzle directly between the rotor and bearing point and then it works no problem. Do not spray the windings with contact cleaner as suggested above.

It is not worth getting them repaired as a new one is very cheap.

20 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

There shoild not be any resistance atall. Light as a feather there two bearings in most lube both

True, no resistance whatsoever, and I think the bearings will be the phosphor bronze type so a little oil will suffice.

Have you checked to ensure that there is no foreign body/matter between the rotor and the windings?

Wouldn't spray the windings with contact cleaner though.........ever thought that the new capacitor might be "faulty"?

Are you trying to start it switched to low or high speed, check the speed control switch and is the motor actually getting ful voltage on high...

Won't start on any speed without a flick with the hand. After that the speed changes in line with the low, medium and high speeds.

Won't start on any speed without a flick with the hand. After that the speed changes in line with the low, medium and high speeds.

Pretty sure that's a capacitor problem maybe try some different capacitance values or another new capacitor....that being said I've never been able to get a broken fan working again...they just hate me :P

2 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

It's not fixed yet. Changing the capacitor has improved it but it's still not turning 100% freely. I'm going to try some oil or grease on the bearings next but I didn't have the time today. If that doesn't work then I'm going to give up.

I don't know if it is a good idea or a bad idea but I cleaned the hair and dust out and sprayed the shaft entry with a bit of lubricating spray (WD40).. and it works fine now...

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Pretty sure that's a capacitor problem maybe try some different capacitance values or another new capacitor....that being said I've never been able to get a broken fan working again...they just hate me :P

Does have all the symptoms of a dodgy capacitor (new one could be a duffer too).

OP says the fan will start with a little help.

I read this trick somewhere and it makes sense... Try turning the blade (gently) in the wrong direction when switching it on. If it continues to run (backwards) at normal speed, then it is definitely the capacitor.

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, I did read the whole post. My reaction was both visceral and informed, though obviously disturbing to some especially sensitive readers. Sorry to have caused you a tizzy.

Touche swords or pistols. I was going to advise a big palm branch and grapes provided he has a wife or g/f. Sorry to fun you young fellow a hands on approach to knowledge is a good thing. Life has taught me though not to be overly inquisitive.

39 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

The fan will NOT run backwards which suggests the cap is ok. (I think?)

The fan runs backwards = capacitor is definitely duff.

The fan won't run backwards = capacitor could still be faulty-not releasing sufficient energy to give the fan a kick start in the correct direction (which is its only purpose).

Did you make sure you bought the correct capacitor for the model of fan? (apologies for asking a daft question).

Archived