North Korea rocket-engine test shows 'meaningful' progress - South Korea

webfact

North Korea rocket-engine test shows 'meaningful' progress - South Korea

REUTERS

r11.jpg

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un watched the ground jet test of a Korean-style high-thrust engine newly developed by the Academy of the National Defence Science in this undated picture provided by KCNA in Pyongyang on March 19, 2017. KCNA/via Reuters

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea said on Monday North Korea's latest rocket-engine test showed "meaningful" advancement in engine function.

"Through this test, it is found that engine function has made meaningful progress but further analysis is needed for exact thrust and possible uses," Lee Jin-woo, deputy spokesman for the South Korean defence ministry, told a regular briefing.

North Korea had conducted a test of a new high-thrust engine at its rocket launch station and leader Kim Jong Un said the successful test marked "a new birth" of its rocket industry, the North's official media reported on Sunday.

(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-20

Just now, malibukid said:

crazy man Kim and crazy man Donald are both narcissist headed on a very dangerous collision course.

I disagree. Both love to focus on the threat from the other and threaten to launch an attack as it does wonders for their support base and raison d'etre (which is obviously very different in North Korea and US).

However that is as far as it goes. Neither sees any advantage in a war.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I disagree. Both love to focus on the threat from the other and threaten to launch an attack as it does wonders for their support base and raison d'etre (which is obviously very different in North Korea and US).

I agree with Briggsy and that would definitely be the usual sabre rattling exercise.  However with Trump and to some extent Kim we are in uncharted territory.  They are both unhinged and that gives it a more dangerous edge than normal.  I sincerely hope that Briggsy is spot on with his analysis 

At some point in the future, years, decades?, the Kim dynasty will fall due to an internal power struggle. This would provide an opportunity for NK to change its system to something much closer to the current Chinese political set-up with revolving leaders every 10 years or so and more opportunity for free enterprise. There would need to be a lengthy transition period. Years / Decades? after that North Koreans may be able to visit South Korea much more easily allowing North Koreans to question the obvious disparity in wealth. That point may be very interesting as you would have a populus questioning a system of government and that government was part of a sphere of influence of a much larger neighbour. But this is all years and years away.

Bookmark this and come back to it in, say, March 2047. I should still be around.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I dunno. While I agree to an extent (Kim wants the insurance that possessing nuke-tipped ICBMs brings), all this waiting around has brought us to the untenable position we're in now. Successive administrations have been waiting, hoping, in vain for this internal conflict to happen. It ain't coming anytime soon, and neither will China act.

In time, short of him being taken out, they will get to the stage where they would have miniaturised a warhead to bung atop one of their firecrackers. Kim also knows that he would be annihilated if he ever used one, but nobody wants them getting to that level. I believe Trump is the only one ballsy (unhinged) enough to put that godforsaken bloodline down for good. It wouldn't be pretty, SK will get pounded, but think it's better than the inevitable alternative.

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I dunno. While I agree to an extent (Kim wants the insurance that possessing nuke-tipped ICBMs brings), all this waiting around has brought us to the untenable position we're in now. Successive administrations have been waiting, hoping, in vain for this internal conflict to happen. It ain't coming anytime soon, and neither will China act.

In time, short of him being taken out, they will get to the stage where they would have miniaturised a warhead to bung atop one of their firecrackers. Kim also knows that he would be annihilated if he ever used one, but nobody wants them getting to that level. I believe Trump is the only one ballsy (unhinged) enough to put that godforsaken bloodline down for good. It wouldn't be pretty, SK will get pounded, but think it's better than the inevitable alternative.

Taking him out (Kim, not Trump) needs to be done by means other than a full on attack on North Korea.  You just need to literally take out the man and maybe one or two of his close confidents.  By waging war on North Korea you will be killing thousands (at least) of innocent people.  If your motivation for war is because you fear he will attack you and kill thousands of innocent people then you are no better than him! 

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

At some point in the future, years, decades?, the Kim dynasty will fall due to an internal power struggle. This would provide an opportunity for NK to change its system to something much closer to the current Chinese political set-up with revolving leaders every 10 years or so and more opportunity for free enterprise. There would need to be a lengthy transition period. Years / Decades? after that North Koreans may be able to visit South Korea much more easily allowing North Koreans to question the obvious disparity in wealth. That point may be very interesting as you would have a populus questioning a system of government and that government was part of a sphere of influence of a much larger neighbour. But this is all years and years away.

Bookmark this and come back to it in, say, March 2047. I should still be around.

I'll be 86, where can I find you I'm in rayong ? .............

There may in the Future be a change of Regime in NK but it will be decided by the Chinese if and when it happened. For the PRC there is no advantage in a collapse of NK and for SK nothing to gain either. A unified Peninsula would surely bankrupt both parts. And American forces closer to the PRC totally undesirable to Beijing. I surmise in Kim gets too militant he will be replaced by a suitable groomed family member.

8 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I'll be 86, where can I find you I'm in rayong ? .............

I'm not too far away. See my location in the left-hand column.

Adding to my theory, the internal conflict that will lead to the fall of the Kim dynasty will be hastened by Chinese or South Korean spies/assets/plants/deep cover agents/sympathisers who hold positions within the North Korean government apparatus. When the opportunity may present itself is anybody's guess.