british PPort renewal--residency evidence question

i have an appointment at the trendy office tomorrow morning and

ive just re-read the requirements needed and i'm alarmed that they

require written proof of address. i never had to submit any proof of

address in all of my previous renewals so i skipped looking at the

details of this requirement

i have a one year valid permit-visa to stay in the country

its clearly stamped on the PP---is that enough?

They want something with your name and address on it.

A utility, phone, internet and etc bill would be accepted. Anything in Thai would need to be translated. There are translators available at Trendy if needed.

A Thai drivers license will be accepted but the address that appears on the back of it would have to be translated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They want something with your name and address on it.

A utility, phone, internet and etc bill would be accepted. Anything in Thai would need to be translated. There are translators available at Trendy if needed.

A Thai drivers license will be accepted but the address that appears on the back of it would have to be translated.

And please note that the evidence you provide should be no older than 1 year. If you have received a letter from the British Embassy here or from a government department (e.g HMRC or DWP), bank or other official organisation back in the UK with your name and address stated in English, that should also do the trick.

• Like 1

in order to get a visa they will only give you one if youve

concrete proof of adress. the visa stamp means youve

got a thai adress for sure

i offered other documents of proof but they chose my

visa stamp, photocopied it and that was good enough

15 hours ago, jikwan said:

well, i just submitted my docs and they used my one year visa stamp

what was on the PP as proof of residence

i kind of feel happy at that. everything ok

They can't have used anything stamped in your passport as proof of address - because nothing stamped in your passport has your address on it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

They can't have used anything stamped in your passport as proof of address - because nothing stamped in your passport has your address on it.

youre right---no address to be seen but thats what they used

they must know what theyre doing at these offices

they also can bend the rules if they want

I renewed my passport last week, last year I received a "proof of life" letter from the UK pensions so I used their covering letter and that worked. From application to receipt of passport was two weeks! 

• Like 1

Interesting!

You must be one of the last to obtain a new passport through the British Embassy.

From 21/3/2017 the BE will no  longer help with passport renewals.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

Online passport applications from 21/3.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/customers-to-benefit-from-online-passport-application-roll-out

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Interesting!

You must be one of the last to obtain a new passport through the British Embassy.

From 21/3/2017 the BE will no  longer help with passport renewals.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

Online passport applications from 21/3.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/customers-to-benefit-from-online-passport-application-roll-out

The embassy has not issued passport for a long time now. They are issued here at the VFS visa center. 

What you posted appears to be only for applications in the UK.

For here nothing has changed. Info here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy has not issued passport for a long time now. They are issued here at the VFS visa center. 

What you posted appears to be only for applications in the UK.

For here nothing has changed. Info here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Just pointing out the UK have rolled out a new online application system for replacement passports from 21/3/2017.

This fully online service will gradually become available to all passport customers. In the meantime, all UK customers and British citizens overseas can still complete the majority of their application and pay online, before printing and returning a signed declaration, their supporting documents, and photographs in the post to HM Passport Office to process.

Maybe in the future the VFS will also stop taking passport applications.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jikwan said:

Perhaps I can throw a little light on this apparent anomaly, which I must admit, raised my  eyebrows at first.

Firstly, it is a standard ruling throughout the world that a UK citizen, applying for a passport renewal abroad, must be resident in the country of application. The methods of application vary slightly from country to country, but that rule always applies.

And 'proof of address' in their various forms is the standard way of provided that proof. But it's not the only way. I agree, ones address never appears in a passport entry, (I've had enough of them to know that!) but a valid visa extension, permission to stay, or whatever really ought to provide proof enough that one is indeed resident in that country. After all, why would one apply for one, if they didn't intend to stay there.

It is quite possible that the agency at Trendy never actually send the 'proof of address' to the UKPA, rather, they have dispensation to simply sign off on their documentation that 'that applicant provided sufficient evidence of residency'.

It's merely conjecture, but it does fit the facts, as I seem them here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jikwan said:

If you look on "Table A" of the official guidance notes, the first of the alternatives for "Name and address and/or residency evidence", stipulates "visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)", so it's not a case of bending the rules, you don't need anything else.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If you look on "Table A" of the official guidance notes, the first of the alternatives for "Name and address and/or residency evidence", stipulates "visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)", so it's not a case of bending the rules, you don't need anything else.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

there you go----that explains it all

people, if they are aware of this can save themselves a lot of stress

about getting the right document and worrying if its enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jikwan said:

there you go----that explains it all

people, if they are aware of this can save themselves a lot of stress

about getting the right document and worrying if its enough

Nice one. If only all these issues could be sorted so easily!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Nice one. If only all these issues could be sorted so easily!

i reckon we cracked it

another great issue is paying for the damned PP

a lot of brits tried paying with their thai debitcard without success

well, i reckon ive cracked that one too

debitcard has to be internet capable first

if it aint then england cannot extract the money

needs to be visa/mastercard type

its all in my recent thread in banking section

55 minutes ago, jikwan said:

i reckon we cracked it

another great issue is paying for the damned PP

a lot of brits tried paying with their thai debitcard without success

well, i reckon ive cracked that one too

debitcard has to be internet capable first

if it aint then england cannot extract the money

needs to be visa/mastercard type

its all in my recent thread in banking section

I Think it's either got to be A CREDIT Card,Or a U.K Banks DEBIT Card......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Think it's either got to be A CREDIT Card,Or a U.K Banks DEBIT Card......

i dont know for sure yet as ive recently got my mastercard debitcard

activated and i got to wait and see if the fee is successfully extracted

from it

ive seen a few reports from debitcard users able to pay their PP fee

Allowing the use of the one year visa or an extension of stay as proof of residency does not surprise me at all, as IMHO the requirement is not necessarily to prove where you actually live so much as to prove that you are legally allowed to and are residing here from the point of view of being able to apply for the passport here, as opposed to the UK.

Under normal circumstances, a tourist would not be travelling in to Thailand with a passport that is about to expire in that period or is virtually full and if so, then they could get an Emergency Travel Document from the Embassy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jikwan said:

i dont know for sure yet as ive recently got my mastercard debitcard

activated and i got to wait and see if the fee is successfully extracted

from it

ive seen a few reports from debitcard users able to pay their PP fee

I Believe VFS Take your'e Visa U.K DEBIT Card & " Extract " the Payment for the new passport in GBP Sterling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Believe VFS Take your'e Visa U.K DEBIT Card & " Extract " the Payment for the new passport in GBP Sterling

When applying for the passport you have to submit a signed payment authorization form with details about your card on it. Then when the application is accepted in the UK they will process charges to the card then.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

When applying for the passport you have to submit a signed payment authorization form with details about your card on it. Then when the application is accepted in the UK they will process charges to the card then.

Yes,I Know that Joe......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dentonian said:

Just pointing out the UK have rolled out a new online application system for replacement passports from 21/3/2017.

Maybe in the future the VFS will also stop taking passport applications.

This system has been available for overseas applications for quite some time now. Ever since the service was withdrawn from the Embassies. But sending the application by post only applies in certain countries. Egypt (I know for sure, I used to live there), Tunisia and Gambia are just 3 I can name. There's no doubt more but I've no intention of searching for them.

There are bound to be variations in the methodology due to local circumstances. Here in Thailand, I doubt if we'll see any change to the current system due to the fact that the local authorities require that foreigners have their passports available at all times. You can't do that and  send it off in the post to UK, now can you!

So girdle your loins for the trip to Trendy folks. :smile:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes,I Know that Joe......

But you wrote this.

35 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

That certainly implies they charge the fee at VFS in Bangkok.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

i dont have a UK debitcard

only a thai one and that should do the job

7 minutes ago, jikwan said:

i dont have a UK debitcard

only a thai one and that should do the job

It has been mentioned before, but just in case you missed it. Check with your bank that the card is enabled for on-line transactions. Payment is processed in the UK, not in Thailand.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1