US Visa with New Passport and New First Name

Hi,

I imagine this topic has been done before, but I couldn't find a recent thread.

My wife got a 10 year US visa 8 years ago, and since then she changed her first name and also needed to renew her passport.  So, not only isn't the US visa in her most recent passport, but it also has her old first name.  She has the original (and translations of) our marriage certificate and name change form, but she's a little bit worried about what might happen when she arrives at the immigration counter at JFK.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this type of situation?

Thanks very much!

:smile:

Looks like she's good to go on both issues:

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visas-frequently-asked-questions/

Yes. As long as your passport is still valid for at least six months beyond the date you plan on traveling, you may use your existing visa. However, you should carry proof of your legal name change (i.e., the Thai name change certificate with a certified English translation) with you when you travel to the U.S. If you wish to reduce the likelihood of encountering a delay at the port of entry, you are welcome to apply for a new visa by following our normal application procedures.

Yes, if you will be entering the United States for a reason consistent with the type of valid visa you have. You should carry both the old passport that contains the valid visa and your current (new) passport. You must use both for entry to the United States.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Suggest you print these FAQs out and take along on the trip.  Reckon the name change document should also be translated to English.

Mac

• Like 1