Birthday boy Prayut tells media "I am what I am"

webfact

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I have been pretty lucky regarding bosses, I have to admit. There were ones I would argue with (you will be amazed to hear?) but they had maturity and depth of character. When the row was over (or not), it would be 'Anyway, how did your holiday go? You weren't affected by that air traffic control strike, were you...?' Work matters were work matters and outside matters were another thing entirely. 

I very much suspect Prayudh is not like that.

As always we shall have to agree to disagree and see what others have to say...

In my working years I always found that malingerers and corner cutters and people that knew how to beat the system were always made "bosses" 

Just feel its better to keep him on your good side so they can do their job better.

As a journalist, your job is to tell the truth. However, telling the truth and keeping the head of the junta happy are fundamentally irreconcilably goals. Journalists in Thailand need to choose; unfortunately, almost all of them have made the wrong choice, though in their defence, so have almost all of the general population of this country.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

He also said:

Oh I am what I am 
I'll do what I want 
But I can't hide
I won't go 
I won't sleep 
I can't breathe 
Until you're resting here with me
I won't leave 
I can't hide 
I cannot be 
Until you're resting here with me

He was referring to democracy. Not sure what he means by 'resting' though. 

Dido would be proud...........

Just thinking would the next Pm be better? With Thailand history of governments maybe not They get into office and become corrupt Maybe the Americans taught them so well to do that I really got no big issue with this guy He goes we probly get someone just as bad Next issue guys  But if he only brought in  a law so Thai drivers knew how to drive properly and the police did there jobs he be my hero forever

11 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Just thinking would the next Pm be better? With Thailand history of governments maybe not They get into office and become corrupt Maybe the Americans taught them so well to do that I really got no big issue with this guy He goes we probly get someone just as bad Next issue guys  But if he only brought in  a law so Thai drivers knew how to drive properly and the police did there jobs he be my hero forever

You are easy to please.

20 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe in an other country, here its not smart to piss off those in power, they have long memories. (if it was easy to get a new job as you say.. sure piss them off and show integrity but not if it really means no income)

As for the serial killers, do you really think there is no tit for tat relation... and of course it goes only that far.. but I am sure that if they let the guy know how much they despise him they wont get a good story. 

I just see things different than you.. have you never worked with an <deleted> of an boss or co worker... i always tried to maintain good relations then. We always bought cake and stuff on birthdays.. even for the <deleted>. No need to make things worse just to take a stand. I feel income and job security is more important (within limits) 

Anyway.. just a bit OT... 

Prayut is a walking media disaster (said it before) but as a general you don't have to coat things like politicians do. I will be happy when his reign is done. 

You are talking ignorant nonsense and the members who have expressed dismay at this charade are absolutely correct.The role of the media is to hold power to account not flatter or simper in front of it.This ridiculous birthday ritual is a disgrace to Thai journalism and those participating in it should be ashamed of themselves.The same comments would apply to the celebration of any PM's birthday whether Thaksin , Abhisit or Prayuth.Of course there should be politeness so far as that is possible but not participation in any activity that implies journalists are part of a cosy establishment.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, robblok said:

have you never worked with an <deleted> of an boss or co worker... i always tried to maintain good relations then. We always bought cake and stuff on birthdays.. even for the <deleted>. No need to make things worse just to take a stand. I feel income and job security is more important (within limits) 

We have a name for those who do this back home, Suckasses . The bosses know who they are and respect them less than those who express their real feelings. My boss didn't walk all over me, I made him money, thats how I kept my job.

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

We have a name for those who do this back home, Suckasses . The bosses know who they are and respect them less than those who express their real feelings. My boss didn't walk all over me, I made him money, thats how I kept my job.

We call it keeping private feelings and business apart. I have never been walked over but I also did not start conflict when it was not needed. If its tradition to buy cake (and it was at my company) do you think its a good idea to exclude people and create extra stress at the workplace. I had a coworker who really disliked the boss (and vice versa) but they never made a scene always stayed civil never started to be petty. I guess its called being mature. 

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

We call it keeping private feelings and business apart. I have never been walked over but I also did not start conflict when it was not needed. If its tradition to buy cake (and it was at my company) do you think its a good idea to exclude people and create extra stress at the workplace. I had a coworker who really disliked the boss (and vice versa) but they never made a scene always stayed civil never started to be petty. I guess its called being mature. 

When working with an <deleted> of a boss or coworker, not calling them out on this would be very immature. Nothing changes if its excepted.

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

When working with an <deleted> of a boss or coworker, not calling them out on this would be very immature. Nothing changes if its excepted.

Guess we got a difference of opinion here.. i prefer to keep a good working condition and you like conflict.  You can call someone out on it.. but if you have to work with him it wont improve things. You cant like everyone you work with on a personal level. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Guess we got a difference of opinion here.. i prefer to keep a good working condition and you like conflict.  You can call someone out on it.. but if you have to work with him it wont improve things. You cant like everyone you work with on a personal level. 

You are right there, I never called them out on a personal level, when I say my boss or coworker are < deleted>, I mean on a professional level. Like a prime minister talking to the press.

1 minute ago, Grubster said:

You are right there, I never called them out on a personal level, when I say my boss or coworker are < deleted>, I mean on a professional level. Like a prime minister talking to the press.

Professional you can go in against your boss (or at least I did if I did not agree that was my job), however later I would not exclude him by buying cake on my birthday for everyone and excluding him. That is just petty. So it kinda depends if its the norm there to do stuff like cake or not. 

You have no argument that he is not good at handeling the press.. not good at all. 

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Professional you can go in against your boss (or at least I did if I did not agree that was my job), however later I would not exclude him by buying cake on my birthday for everyone and excluding him. That is just petty. So it kinda depends if its the norm there to do stuff like cake or not. 

You have no argument that he is not good at handeling the press.. not good at all. 

I think he is great at handling the press, he tells them what they can or cannot ask, it is the press that is sucking up to him and granting these wishes. He is giving them gifts with a wink and a nod. You bringing a cake to work on your birthday is totally irrelevant to this, it has nothing to do with your work or your bosses work.  The prime minister giving the press anything is a conflict of interest.

13 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I think he is great at handling the press, he tells them what they can or cannot ask, it is the press that is sucking up to him and granting these wishes. He is giving them gifts with a wink and a nod. You bringing a cake to work on your birthday is totally irrelevant to this, it has nothing to do with your work or your bosses work.  The prime minister giving the press anything is a conflict of interest.

Then its good he did not give the press a thing, they gave it to him :smile:

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then its good he did not give the press a thing, they gave it to him :smile:

And he gave all them the Past kings commemorative coin, the cake is ok, the coins are not. Do you think it is ok for your Prime minister/President to give gifts to those who we trust to ask the hard questions of him/her. I don't.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

And he gave all them the Past kings commemorative coin, the cake is ok, the coins are not. Do you think it is ok for your Prime minister/President to give gifts to those who we trust to ask the hard questions of him/her. I don't.

Agreed about the coins.. (presumably they have high value)