What happened to low season ?

balo

Jomtien beach is packed today , Russians, Germans, Scandinavians, Italians, they're all here.

In central Pattaya same same .

In my favourite coffee place Benjamit I could not find a seat and thats rare ! Whats going on ? Easter ?

fa6114d10aae5cea8e3859d63bd4feef.jpg

Well Balo I missed my first high season in 9 years but it seems to me that in the last few years you Nordic types came after New Years and left before Songkhran.  Congratulations to your country being named as home to the happiest folks on earth. Were we all smart enough to have a Stat Oil.

balo, you're spoiling the fun. Now how's anybody to claim this is the lowest low season ever?

But I agree w/ you and thought the same earlier. We had a pretty good high season overall and it has surprising legs.

I have been here over a year and have not seen a truly low season.  I wonder sometimes what people are talking about.  There is a weather difference but this place is never truly slow from my observation.

PS:  Thai people seem to use this as an excuse I think for more $.  You know,  ¨it low season no customer¨.

2 hours ago, balo said:

Jomtien beach is packed today , Russians, Germans, Scandinavians, Italians, they're all here.

In central Pattaya same same .

In my favourite coffee place Benjamit I could not find a seat and thats rare ! Whats going on ? Easter ?

fa6114d10aae5cea8e3859d63bd4feef.jpg

Market day! But you knew that ;-)

6 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Market day! But you knew that ;-)

It's the reason I never go to Benjamit on Tuesday and Fridays.  I remember also that the hot season has been quite busy the last few years. I think the airfares from the UK and Europe are more affordable this time of the year.

That was just a random picture from today , but the beaches same same .  

Compared with March last year I think it's an increase in tourists/expats.

I agree OP, My condo block in Jomtien fills to capacity over high season and its a pain, no seats at the pool, car park is full, you may get a washing machine at 4am. Usually by now it starts to thin and it back to normal, but they dont appear to be leaving. Local night market the same.

4 hours ago, balo said:

CentralFestival same same. Several posters have remarked on how crowded it's been and today was no exception. Food Court packed with authentic tourists, though ace TVF economists may realize they are just paid shills for TAT. Previously I've given the only true measure of Pattaya's economic performance: the Kiss Food & Drinks Indicator. It's still positive, too. :)

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

CentralFestival same same. Several posters have remarked on how crowded it's been and today was no exception. Food Court packed with authentic tourists, though ace TVF economists may realize they are just paid shills for TAT. Previously I've given the only true measure of Pattaya's economic performance: the Kiss Food & Drinks Indicator. It's still positive, too. :)

No. No and no!

I refuse to believe that Pattaya's mostly mythical high season is still rolling along. There was ample parking on Soi 6 and I managed to legally park on Beach Road between Klang and Soi 13 mid-afternoon today. Notably, I didn't have to brake or swerve to avoid anyone on my drive down Beach. I even found a double-wide, nose-in parking spot on Soi Post Office at 5 PM. I was so thrilled at this event (last witnessed in the balmy summer of 2011), I made darn sure I took up both slots. Leaving at 8 PM, there were no tour buses cluttering up Second, Soi Diana was a straight shot with only one forlorn mobile noodle wagon cadging for business. The cross-over Buakhao onto Lengkee was totally free of gap-shooters and brain-deads and similarly, Third was totally devoid of buses. The drive from Third to Sukhumvit was distinctly lonely (I almost turned back) and Sukhumvit was a fast-track to the Highway 7 spur.

The upshot is I was back home at the Crocodile Farm about 15 minutes after take-off from RGP. This typically takes 25 to 30 minutes. Mrs NL was totally surprised by my 'early' return but that didn't compensate for the fact that I could easily have skulled at least one more San Miguel Pale Pilsen and still have been home 'on time'.

The start of Pattaya's 2017 low-season is thus benchmarked.

The airports have been very busy for the last few weeks - large Chinese tour groups blocking the exit from customs (why do they all have to re-group in the main walkways?) plus Europeans sporting baggy cargo shorts and questionable T-shirts, and the Japanese golf parties are back practicing their swing in the immigration queue.

As a regular business traveler I was happy with the absence of queues at immigration, but I'm pleased that the tourist economy seems to be picking up.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I know this thread is Pattaya but speaking to a restaurant owners in Hua Hin yesterday he said it was the busiest March he had seen in 5 years.

I was in town last night and it was fairly busy, lots of tourists around

Must be because of the new ferry from Pattaya.  :whistling:

Bangkok and Phuket are DEAD.

Went through immigration at Suvarnaphum two weeks ago.

Arrived at 8pm.

Was only 10 people at the whole immigration counters.

Was out with my luggage in TEN Minutes.

NEVER that quick before.

So not sure why Pattaya is busy.

Bangkok and Phuket are DEAD.
Went through immigration at Suvarnaphum two weeks ago.
Arrived at 8pm.
Was only 10 people at the whole immigration counters.
Was out with my luggage in TEN Minutes.
NEVER that quick before.
So not sure why Pattaya is busy.

That was 2 weeks ago, all this extra activity seem to have started a week ago. Or maybe its just my imagination but it sure feels just as busy as January here.

On 3/21/2017 at 2:47 PM, balo said:

No ? Surely  not ?  The   TVF   knockers  have  been  telling us  the  why and wherefore of  empty  tourist  locations  for months ! All due  to   some  nasty  military  thing causing  people  to  not  come  but also leave in droves !  

Thankfully  I  do  not  stay in a  Tourist  location  but  I will say local business  here seems to  also be on the  up.

On 21/03/2017 at 2:53 PM, Peterw42 said:

I agree OP, My condo block in Jomtien fills to capacity over high season and its a pain, no seats at the pool, car park is full, you may get a washing machine at 4am. Usually by now it starts to thin and it back to normal, but they dont appear to be leaving. Local night market the same.

Expect this to be the new norm as the baby boomers are coming and staying.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:02 PM, JSixpack said:

I can never understand why people go to KIss. No great food deal, quantity and quality so-so. and the hawkers are very annoying.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:18 PM, Seizetheday said:

I think high season started later this year due to exceptional circumstances. 

Let's see how busy it is after Sonkran.

Low season starts after April until November .High season used to start the last of September but seams to be starting later in the year..I used to measure it as to the price of the golf courses but now the courses seams to want high season prices in May or June even.Cheaper to spend a weekend in China playing there.