Want to plan my 7 days in lower Isaan?

H508

If you happen to go Khao Kor way, take her to Story Cup By Coffee Hill and Khao Kor Steak House. Every time we go that way MrsJ  is very happy to do both of those places ... steak house first and then coffee at Story Cup. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, dominator said:

Wats get a bit boring after the 1st 10000 or so, ebooks would be a good idea.

I think I got up to 20 and was bored silly by them. I was following an itinerary I got off the internet for Chiang Mai and cut out a whole day of wat-seeing not even half way through the first day. I only want to see the ancient ones/ruins at this point now.

12 hours ago, buick said:

DMK to BFV on air asia - get the A window seat.  

Amari by the track, klim hotel,

there is a robinsons mall with a market (more farang friendly that big C, and more expensive !!) plus restaurants and shops.

since you are going during a race at the track, many hotels will be sold out. 

Thanks for the good advice. I was going to either wing it for each hotel except the one on the Mekong or not book until much closer, but I'll look for a room in Buriram now. 

Edit: Amari is already sold out, looking currently at Tulip Boutique ($32), Buritel Hotel ($22), Klim ($22), and Cresco ($53 - I don't mind spending the extra money, but looking at the pictures of the other rooms, this will probably get cut from the list). The ThaiGF has only made it up for breakfast a single time in like 35 nights of being with her so that is not a consideration. The pictures of Tulip & Buritel look pretty good and has the most review at Excellent marks on agoda. Klim is up there as well, but I don't think their rooms look as good as the other two.

Picked Buritel on agoda - came to $26 (900 thb) a night after taxes.

Edited by H508

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

If you happen to go Khao Kor way, take her to Story Cup By Coffee Hill and Khao Kor Steak House. Every time we go that way MrsJ  is very happy to do both of those places ... steak house first and then coffee at Story Cup. 

Hmm... steak, along with Mexican, I have found to be very very hit and (mostly) miss. Even the Australian beef is pretty shit compared to the US. I went through 5 places before I found a decent burger, I'm not willing to risk the inflated cost for an awful steak if the ground up stuff isn't even up to par :)  Good thing I like a lot of Thai food; chicken strips or fish & chips would have gotten old quick.

On 22/03/2017 at 1:25 AM, H508 said:

I've been to Thailand twice in the last year already and spent a decent amount of time in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Samui during those 6 weeks. When in Pattaya, I got sucked into having a thai girlfriend which suits me just fine for the time being and I told her next time I come in September, since it will be over her birthday, I'll take her to her home in Maha Sarakham to spend 2 days with family and then up to another 5-8 days traveling around Isaan checking out mud puddles and buffalo with her.

So, I think to start...

Sept 2: Taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok. Take plane from BKK to Buriram Airport. Rent car.

Sept 3: Go to Chang Intl racetrack in Buriram to catch the Touring Car race going on.

...then I struggle at this point...

Her Birthday is Sept 7 and her family home is in the southern portion of Maha Sarakham somewhere and she said it's about 30km from the Buriram airport. We can either see her family for a few days before her birthday if it fits into other travel plans, or we can maybe drive to go see Phimai Historical park and look at some old tree Sept 4/5, then go to lower Maha Sarahkam Sept 6/7.

But, then I have another 2-5 days I can spend in Isaan.

After that, I've got nothing. Thought about driving up Highway 2 to Khon Kaen to Udon Thani and ultimately Vientiane, but the gf has a distaste for Laos, apparently; plus, I'm not sure I have the number of days to make that much driving worthwhile and would rather save northern Isaan for a separate trip when I can fly to Udon Thani directly and then do a week tour of just the north.

So, any thoughts on what else to do in such lovely countryside? She has a passport and is okay on visiting Cambodia, but I don't know if that would be worth it vs just going around Roi Et or Surin, or even up to Khon Kaen. Ultimately, I need to end back up in an Airport to take me back to BKK, unless we just head south west and drive back that way anyway.

great  ... sounds good.  have a nice trip.:coffee1:

Any consensus on Tohsang Khongjiam, Khong Chiam Orchid, or another hotel around ~2000baht on the Mekong in Ubon? I don't want to drive all the way up to Mukdahan, but more north or south of Khong Chiam is okay. I expect to spend about 3 nights out there.

Edited by H508

I'm leaning towards Tohsang Khongjiam.

Also, I figure on the way out of Ubon city, I'll stop one night around Sirindhorn to look at the dam/reservoir so might as well stay the night out there instead of driving back and hour and then driving to Tohsang/Orchid resort. Any recommendations for Sirindhorn?

The ThaiGF has only made it up for breakfast a single time in like 35 nights of being with her so that is not a consideration.

That is a pity, some Thais are like that though, I see it a lot. Foreigner  breakfasting alone and G/F appears 10am + best part of the day gone.

The ThaiGF has only made it up for breakfast a single time in like 35 nights of being with her so that is not a consideration.

That is a pity, some Thais are like that though, I see it a lot. Foreigner  breakfasting alone and G/F appears 10am + best part of the day gone.

Only see that when Friend visit with She Works in Insurance Office...i.e. Bar Girl .[emoji83]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

51 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Yeah, I do the breakfast alone thing from time to time. And then the gf says 'it's so hot' 20x that afternoon because we have to do things at 2pm.

I'm leaning towards Tohsang Khongjiam.

Also, I figure on the way out of Ubon city, I'll stop one night around Sirindhorn to look at the dam/reservoir so might as well stay the night out there instead of driving back and hour and then driving to Tohsang/Orchid resort. Any recommendations for Sirindhorn?

Along the reservoirs is a picnic area called 'Pattaya Noi' . It is NOTHING like its namesake! There are a couple of cheap and cheerful places or a bit further along, there is a hotel near to the royal palace. Sorry, no idea of name or how good it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tohasang KhongJiam is well worthwhile stopping at if not on a strict budget.

I wrote thus on booking.com's reviews a couple of years back:

Minus point:

Often a bit too pricey for all but special occasions but if you can get it at $65 on special or late offer go for it.

Plus points:

Lovely location on confluence of SE Asia's mightiest river (Mekong) where it joins Thailand's 2nd loveliest river (Mun - Mekong being the first!) Good 4 star hotel with the usual amenities One to impress your family or guests with. Breakfast is excellent and the food for lunch/dinner (though quite expensive) is very good. Restaurant settings are impressive - go there for a special meal if in the area even if you are not staying.

The pool is big and clean too btw

Worth monitoring the booking sites for it's price - normally about $80 to $100 (2,500 ish baht - for a standard large king bed room - they all overlook the river and have a nice balcony, but you can get cheaper in lower season)

I have never found a hotel other than this one in the economy end of the market (600-1,000 baht a night) in Khong Jiam or surrounds that I thought provided the normal value for money that I look for (applies particularly when travelling with extended family and taking more than one room).

The Thosang Sedhapura is silly money (typically 12,500 baht) - leave it to those who like throwing money at a wall or who haven't twigged that Isaan is cheap!

Edit: Can't see why anyone would want to stay in Sirindhorm area. Khong Jiam is the accommodation centre for the whole area and has the facilities to make an evening a good experience notwithstanding that many of the cheaper hotels are far too old*. It's only like 45 mins to drive to either Pha Taem National Park (which you must also do - it's the only world-class tourist destination in the whole proivince IMO!) or Srindhorn. The cave temple overlooking Khong Jiam town is worth a quick look around for it's setting and ambience. The best evening entertainment is centred around the north-west side of the big river bridge over the Mun between the Tohsang and town - blink and you would miss it form the main road if you didn't know it was there, but it has lots of Thai bars and bar/restaurants - one or two with live music and one or two with sports on TV plus a few places that look like they would keep a single guy/mates amused too I daresay. Looks like the township keep this 'mini entertainment zone' tucked away so as not to sully the slightly older couple and family ambience of the town itself! Don't worry though - anything single male in orientation is not so in yer face as you couldn't go to the normal restaurants/bars/music with your GF!

*I don't understand why when everyone in Ubon is building good value resorts and mansion hotels that KJ seems to be stuck with it's long-standing portfolio of 30 to 50 year old joints. Either someone is missing a trick or more likely there is a local (anti-) business mafia a-goin-on there!

Edited by SantiSuk

Nice write-up on Tohsang Khongjiamagindfidnfidgniad. I got it for $58 a night after taxes for 3 nights (but that's in September, not exactly prime-time). Also good news about finding the town nearby. I can relax and enjoy a bit of scenery in the daytime, but I'll need an escape at night so the bar area you wrote about will at least let my eyes wander a little bit.

I was thinking about staying 1 night in Sirindhorn, but I guess I'll skip that and just get an extra night in Ubon. Usually when I travel to cities, I'll pick one hotel for a few nights in one area, then 2nd hotel for a few nights in another part of town. However, throughout my hotel searches for Ubon, everything seems to be pretty well centered west or southwest of the airport. So far, I think I'll grab 2 nights At Come-Pang and 2 nights at V Hotel. I didn't think Rapeepan Ville or Suree Grand rooms looked as good that I see mentioned on here, and the locations are all within a 2-4km of each other in any case.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, H508 said:

Yeah, I do the breakfast alone thing from time to time. And then the gf says 'it's so hot' 20x that afternoon because we have to do things at 2pm.

that gave me a good laugh. 

i haven't tried buritel yet but it is almost across the street from tulip/muang pizza and same street as book and bed restaurant.  i was told buritel was an older hotel and had a full renovation done along with a name change to buritel (i think within last 2 years).  the rooms at klim hotel are bland as can be.  but their internet and breakfast are great.

7 hours ago, H508 said:

Nice write-up on Tohsang Khongjiamagindfidnfidgniad. I got it for $58 a night after taxes for 3 nights (but that's in September, not exactly prime-time). Also good news about finding the town nearby. I can relax and enjoy a bit of scenery in the daytime, but I'll need an escape at night so the bar area you wrote about will at least let my eyes wander a little bit.

I was thinking about staying 1 night in Sirindhorn, but I guess I'll skip that and just get an extra night in Ubon. Usually when I travel to cities, I'll pick one hotel for a few nights in one area, then 2nd hotel for a few nights in another part of town. However, throughout my hotel searches for Ubon, everything seems to be pretty well centered west or southwest of the airport. So far, I think I'll grab 2 nights At Come-Pang and 2 nights at V Hotel. I didn't think Rapeepan Ville or Suree Grand rooms looked as good that I see mentioned on here, and the locations are all within a 2-4km of each other in any case.

Attached is my very anal analysis of many Ubon hotels. I stay there at least once a month when the Hash House Harriers meet. V Hotel is fine in the 800-900 baht a night inclusing breakfast class. Slightly prefer Bliss and Rapeepan Ville (both with very good breakfasts) but you can happily buy on discounted price of the day between these 3 places. The 500 baht without breakfast - or with just basic coffe+) class is won hands down by Phadaeng Mansion at 500 baht a night (550 on the booking websites so don't do that!) - partly because their coffee/bananas/chinese donuts is enough of a breakfast for me. T3 House is a bit more boutiquey and is also fine at 650 baht with (cheap) cafe breakfast optional extra. - I tend to stay there if wife is with me. Phadeang if not.

Don't know Come-Pang - it has only recently appeared on the booking websites 

Ubon hotels.xlsx

In Ubon 'town' we have stayed at

De Proud    no restaurant buy have breakfast

Sunee          Old but okay  was obviously very upmarket in the past ... meals ok

Brown House   quite new, nice swimming pool again okay

all are