cost of rice paddy per Rai in Sisaket

Good day to everyone!

I would appreciate if  I can have an approximate idea of the ongoing price of rice paddy in Sisaket region. the location is quite far from the main road and irrigation can be arranged. it can only yield 1 crop per year.

if there is anybody who can help me with this info, I will be extremely grateful.

sincere regards

• 1 month later...

Where is the land, what village is nearby?

There are a lot of debts raking up, so bargains are possible as long as the land has correct paperwork.

I know of a few 'parcels' going 'cheep cheep'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

in the wifes area the land office prices paddy starting at 60,000 baht per rai. (land here is not very good for farming ie loads of rocks, land not very good in general) go 2 or 3 ampers away and that price will start at around 80,000  ish baht (better farming land)  last land the wife bought (this year) she ended up paying just under 30,000 baht in tax and transfer fee on a 6 rai plot - remote ect....

at the end of the day its only worth what you can/would sell it for..... or buy of course in your case......

• Like 2

go to the local land office and they will give you the current "value" as they will have surveyed/accesed the land/s in that area, they will even give you the amount you will have to pay in tax/transfer fee ect..

Better still, as a farang, go nowhere near the Sisaket land office (let a Thai deal with this!)
I wouldn't trust them to value my cat (if I had one). Land Offices have been know to be the most corrupt dept and from my experiences, I'd tend to agree.

• Like 1

If you have to pay 25k a year "under the table" to Immigration, there must be something missing from your application.

No its due to the fact that when i 1st sold my busines and retired in thailand. I was only 46. The only way i could stay here permanently was on an immigrant visa. I was way too young for retirement visa. Nothing was missing,its justbthats what they wanted. It never stopped. Hua Hin office. For sure retirement pensioner visa is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes, a lot of civil servants want/need a "drink" its just how life is here/or there........

Agree but this was far greater in financial amount and disruption than a small tip.
3 years involving clowns locally & BKK (apologies to clowns), lawyers/court cases & huge expenses (but finally I won the case.)

6 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Where is the land, what village is nearby?

There are a lot of debts raking up, so bargains are possible as long as the land has correct paperwork.

I know of a few 'parcels' going 'cheep cheep'

As one poster stated here the credit binge is being fueled by land owners putting up the deeds to greedy bankers to buy new cars etc. As he also stated they will be coming some day to claim their prize. As the price of land here has sky rocketed bankers are falling all over themselves when you flop a deed down. 

As one poster stated here the credit binge is being fueled by land owners putting up the deeds to greedy bankers to buy new cars etc. As he also stated they will be coming some day to claim their prize. As the price of land here has sky rocketed bankers are falling all over themselves when you flop a deed down. 

Are you speaking from 1st hand experience or just what you 'think'?

40 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Rice/paddy/padi?  About B30-40 per kg.

Paddy/ rice FIELD costs a bit more.

Paddy/padi IS rice.

Collins English Dictionary:

paddy1 (ˈpædɪ  )

1. Also called : paddy field
field planted with rice
2. rice as a growing crop or when harvested but not yet milled

Or if you prefer an American source, here's Merriam-Webster:

Definition of paddy

1.   rice; especially :  threshed unmilled rice

2.   wet land in which rice is grown

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VirgoSG said:

Collins English Dictionary:

paddy1 (ˈpædɪ  )

1. Also called : paddy field
field planted with rice
2. rice as a growing crop or when harvested but not yet milled

Or if you prefer an American source, here's Merriam-Webster:

Definition of paddy

1.   rice; especially :  threshed unmilled rice

2.   wet land in which rice is grown

I agree, but saying "rice paddy" is saying "rice rice".   Asking the price of 'rice paddy' is asking for the price of 'rice rice'.

Paddy field/rice field is referring to the land on which rice is grown.

Cost of rice paddy? Same as asking for 1 rai of land in BKK!
Where is it?
Close to main road?
In a village?
Out in nowhere?

Outside a city?
Access to water?
Access to electricity?

See! And that is only a fraction of the questions?

Therefore rice paddy in Sisaket can be all from 10000 Bath per rai up to 300000 Bath per rai.

Hopeless question!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Are you speaking from 1st hand experience or just what you 'think'?

I can speak from personal experience in saying that this is the case. In addition, up here in Isaan many of the older peasants can hardly speak Thai, let alone read it, and I have seen  cases where the rich guy of the neighbourhood has gathered large tracts of land by not actually by being illegal, but getting people to sign documents nobody but a lawyer can understand. The banks also play a role. There was a case recently where a family took out a loan on their land in order to build a new house (and get a car) and went to Bangkok to earn money to pay it back. Coming back, the price of land had gone up seriously and they will never get their land back.

Whatever, the days of subsistence farming are coming to an end, nobody wants to harvest by hand if they can help it and the use of machines on small plots is inefficient, young people don't wish to do the work.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Cost of rice paddy? Same as asking for 1 rai of land in BKK!
Where is it?
Close to main road?
In a village?
Out in nowhere?

Outside a city?
Access to water?
Access to electricity?

See! And that is only a fraction of the questions?

Therefore rice paddy in Sisaket can be all from 10000 Bath per rai up to 300000 Bath per rai.

Hopeless question!

Try reading the OP again. Actually he did answer most of your questions.

Yes all  these crazy land prices are going to come to a head soon and its not going to be pretty for the little guy who borrowed from the bank to buy land or the country in general. I am from the usa and where I live land is much cheaper, a friend just sold a rai for 2 million baht that same land in the us where i am from would cost me prob 90K baht and that land has good soil, electricity, water you can drink etc. And yes farming in thailand is well on its way to either total meltdown or massive consolidation by large companies or individuals either way something has to give. 

10 hours ago, cooked said:

I can speak from personal experience in saying that this is the case. In addition, up here in Isaan many of the older peasants can hardly speak Thai, let alone read it, and I have seen  cases where the rich guy of the neighbourhood has gathered large tracts of land by not actually by being illegal, but getting people to sign documents nobody but a lawyer can understand. The banks also play a role. There was a case recently where a family took out a loan on their land in order to build a new house (and get a car) and went to Bangkok to earn money to pay it back. Coming back, the price of land had gone up seriously and they will never get their land back.

Whatever, the days of subsistence farming are coming to an end, nobody wants to harvest by hand if they can help it and the use of machines on small plots is inefficient, young people don't wish to do the work.

If the family took out a loan, that was for a fixed amount, the price of the land has nothing to do with it. Also, they took out a loan against their land, they did not sell the land, so they don't need to "get their land back" as it never left their hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

If the family took out a loan, that was for a fixed amount, the price of the land has nothing to do with it. Also, they took out a loan against their land, they did not sell the land, so they don't need to "get their land back" as it never left their hands.

Nice theory. There are all sorts of different contracts floating around.

If my wife could get 30 to 40 baht a kilo for paddy rice, she would grow a lot more rice. As it is, she has removed most of the paddy dikes and changed to sugar cane. The last offer she got for her paddy rice was 13 baht per kilo.

She has also been accumulating farmland. The last piece she bought cost her 100,000 baht per rai. The land is about 3 kilometers from the nearest paved road and has no electricity. She now has an offer of 2,000 baht per rai per year to rent it. The guy wants a guarantee of four years rental rights. She has offered two years but the guy wants to plant sugar cane and the normal life of a crop is four years.

I have warned her about the land prices being a bubble. She doesn't care because she says she will never sell any of her 65 rai. A fifty year payback is NOT a good investment in my eyes.

ADDED - I should have said that we are in Nong Hin, Loei. I suspect that any high ground in Thailand that is not subject to flooding will be similarly high priced. We are on flat land surrounded by mountains about a thousand feet above sea level. No risk of floods here.

Edited by Gary A
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2017 at 2:28 PM, Gary A said:

If my wife could get 30 to 40 baht a kilo for paddy rice, she would grow a lot more rice. As it is, she has removed most of the paddy dikes and changed to sugar cane. The last offer she got for her paddy rice was 13 baht per kilo.

She has also been accumulating farmland. The last piece she bought cost her 100,000 baht per rai. The land is about 3 kilometers from the nearest paved road and has no electricity. She now has an offer of 2,000 baht per rai per year to rent it. The guy wants a guarantee of four years rental rights. She has offered two years but the guy wants to plant sugar cane and the normal life of a crop is four years.

I have warned her about the land prices being a bubble. She doesn't care because she says she will never sell any of her 65 rai. A fifty year payback is NOT a good investment in my eyes.

ADDED - I should have said that we are in Nong Hin, Loei. I suspect that any high ground in Thailand that is not subject to flooding will be similarly high priced. We are on flat land surrounded by mountains about a thousand feet above sea level. No risk of floods here.

The higher the land the harder to farm it. As sisaket doesnt have constant rainfall the lower lying areas seem to do better with rice crops. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

DO NOT PLANT RICE, what ever you do. It is one of the least profitable crops on earth, and has been responsible for hundreds of millions of people remaining below the poverty line, for centuries. It appears to be a method the elite use, to keep the poor, dirt poor.

Fruit trees are a far more profitable alternative. Any fruit is better than rice. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 3:49 PM, F4UCorsair said:

Rice/paddy/padi?  About B30-40 per kg.

Paddy/ rice FIELD costs a bit more.

Paddy/padi IS rice.

Last year the government set the buying price at 10bht/kg.

No point at buying fields you can't own at the moment IMHO, just give your wife/gf the money.

Edited by MaeJoMTB