Thai airports have no plan to implement US, UK ban on edevices

snoop1130

Thai airports have no plan to implement US, UK ban on edevices

By The Nation

f62f294b6f93aab84dc1398716b3048d.jpeg

Airports in Thailand have not been affected by the new measures imposed by the United States and the United Kingdom to ban large elecฌtronic devices from the passenger cabin, Airports of Thailand (AOT) said Wednesday.

The Thai airport authority said it does not intend to adjust its safety measures in line with those of the US and the UK. As of now, Thai airports allow passengers to carry electronic devices such as notebooks, tablets, and VDO games consoles on board after a security checkin, in accorฌdance with standard safety procedure, AOT senior executive vice president Suthirawat Suwanawat said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30309955

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-22

So fly Emirates to Dubai (or others) in that direction with you laptop and guess what will happen to your laptop if you are flying on to UK or USA, you will be donating it to Dubai, because it is not going on a flight out of there that is for sure. Looks like next on the list will be, sorry I cannot spell it but begins with a T

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

So fly Emirates to Dubai (or others) in that direction with you laptop and guess what will happen to your laptop if you are flying on to UK or USA, you will be donating it to Dubai, because it is not going on a flight out of there that is for sure. Looks like next on the list will be, sorry I cannot spell it but begins with a T

I have not seen that there is any problem flying Emirates to the UK.

12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I read yesterday that any flights with a connecting flight you will have to put your electronic devices in the hold luggage at the departure point. Before this ban you were asked to hand carry your laptop and electronics as they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't be stolen but also because of the risk of lithium batteries catching fire in the aircraft hold. I'm an avid reader and my Kindle is almost essential in the cabin as I read not watch movies on long haul flights, there will be some irate passengers on overnight flights when people have to go back to reading books with the overhead light on.   

No point in us trying to apply any logic to the risks - as this is a commercial tactic by the failing US airlines who've been fighting with the Mid East based carriers over government subsidies.  In one clever move they've impacted the hubs of Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Turkish Airlines.

The US airlines have been losing the profitable Business Class travelers to these carriers for years, and now frequent business travelers will be looking at alternative airlines, as their laptops are essential travel tools, and many will also have no checked baggage.

Have to admire their strategic approach to winning business in the airline industry, but we should not forget how much they've inconvenienced us when choosing an airline for our next trips.

It's clearly not related to risk, as any crazy bomber could simply transfer at another airport before flying to US, or join the flight in Paris or London, which is probably their home airport anyway.

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

No point in us trying to apply any logic to the risks - as this is a commercial tactic by the failing US airlines who've been fighting with the Mid East based carriers over government subsidies.  In one clever move they've impacted the hubs of Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Turkish Airlines.

The US airlines have been losing the profitable Business Class travelers to these carriers for years, and now frequent business travelers will be looking at alternative airlines, as their laptops are essential travel tools, and many will also have no checked baggage.

Have to admire their strategic approach to winning business in the airline industry, but we should not forget how much they've inconvenienced us when choosing an airline for our next trips.

It's clearly not related to risk, as any crazy bomber could simply transfer at another airport before flying to US, or join the flight in Paris or London, which is probably their home airport anyway.

Why would Paris or London probably be a bomber's home airport?

4 hours ago, sandrabbit said:
4 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I read yesterday that any flights with a connecting flight you will have to put your electronic devices in the hold luggage at the departure point. Before this ban you were asked to hand carry your laptop and electronics as they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't be stolen but also because of the risk of lithium batteries catching fire in the aircraft hold. I'm an avid reader and my Kindle is almost essential in the cabin as I read not watch movies on long haul flights, there will be some irate passengers on overnight flights when people have to go back to reading books with the overhead light on.   

'... because of the risk of lithium batteries catching fire in the aircraft hold.' Well, they now can't guarantee they won't explode in the cabin, either.

17 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

INCORRECT if you are flying in thru Dubai to the UK then Dubai is exempt from the airports that are banned, if  you are  flying thru Dubai to America then you cant carry them in hand  luggage

18 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Certainly a cause for concern, and the direct flights (from here) like BA will likely be hoiked in price as a result.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, Kinnock said:

The US carriers also will will have to comple with this law. this is not as kinnock suggests that it to help the US carriers moneywise but a FAA ban from the US government.

25 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

The US carriers also will will have to comple with this law. this is not as kinnock suggests that it to help the US carriers moneywise but a FAA ban from the US government.

US carriers do not need to comply - as they do not fly from any of the airports listed.  Conveniently, it only impacts their competitors.

Both the US and EU have used rules originally intended for safety reasons for commercial protectionism for years - especially in the food industry.  Extending this tactic to airlines is logical, and it's naïve to think it has anything to do with passenger safety.