Re-Entry permits (Multiple)?

I know someone here on almost the same situation I am, though we don't get to talk much, and he had mentioned last time I talked to him that he had a prepaid for multi-entry Re-Entry Permit, basically 4 re-entries that are paid for in-advance. This is something he was offered when he did his first 1 year marriage visa extension.  I assume this is to save money, but I have a few questions.

1) Do these really exist?

2) I guess I was under the impression that the re-entry permit was based on a scheduled leave date?

3) Are you forced to exit 4 times, or do they just go unused if you don't?

4) Can they be kept for future years, or only during the current 1 year extension (i.e. marriage)?

5) If I use a re-entry permit, does it extend my 1 year extension if say I am gone for 3-4 weeks at a time?

1) Yes but it's not limited to 4 re-entries, it could be more than that.

2) I think it's on the form but it's not really that important and would only be your first leave date anyway.

3) They go unused.

4) Only valid for the current extension.

5) It doesn't extend the extension for the time you're not in the country. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

14 minutes ago, ocddave said:

2) I guess I was under the impression that the re-entry permit was based on a scheduled leave date?

A re-entry permit has no fixed dates for its use other than its expiration date which is the same day that the extension ends.

The application form has space for the intended departure and entry dates but they mean nothing since the re-entry permit stamp does not have those dates on it.

1. Yes. They cost 3,800 baht.
  2. No. You can leave/return unlimited times.
  3. No you don't have to leave. It isn't limited to 4 re-entries. If re-entering 4 or more times it's more cost effective to buy a multiple entry permit than several single entry permits costing 1,000 baht each. That's probably where the "4" misunderstanding comes from.
  4. It expires on the same date as the current years permit to stay.
  5. No.
  • Like 1

I'm waiting for confirmation of my first extension of stay based on marriage. I know I'll have to come to some decision or another when that time comes, hence my questions:

1. If I choose zero re-entries and some family emergency comes up in the UK or U.S. that will require me to leave Thailand, can I get a re-entry permit at the airport when I leave?

2. If again I choose not to get a re-entry permit at my first extension and my wife and I want to go on a brief trip to a neighboring country, can I get a re-entry permit either at an immigration office or at a land border?

3. In other words, do I have to make a firm decision at the start of the year or can it be modified if necessary later on?

3 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

I'm waiting for confirmation of my first extension of stay based on marriage. I know I'll have to come to some decision or another when that time comes, hence my questions:

1. If I choose zero re-entries and some family emergency comes up in the UK or U.S. that will require me to leave Thailand, can I get a re-entry permit at the airport when I leave?

2. If again I choose not to get a re-entry permit at my first extension and my wife and I want to go on a brief trip to a neighboring country, can I get a re-entry permit either at an immigration office or at a land border?

3. In other words, do I have to make a firm decision at the start of the year or can it be modified if necessary later on?

You make no choice when you get your extension stamp. The re-entry permit application is separate from the extension.

You can get a re-entry permit at any time you want. Either at immigration or at either airport in Bangkok on departure from the country. There are only 2 or 3 border crossings that have re-entry permit desks.

Many people get a single re-entry permit(1000 baht)  when they get their extension done in case of an unexpected trip.

If you expect to make to make at least 3 trips during the year it is worth getting a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht). Not having to deal with getting a single re-entry permit each time you want to travel is worth the extra 800 baht IMO if you don't use it but 3 times.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You make no choice when you get your extension stamp. The re-entry permit application is separate from the extension.

So when I get my extension, I don't need to decide anything on the spot. I can later opt for either the single or the multiple re-entry permit at any time during the following year. Is that correct?

Thanks guys, it kind of works the way I thought it would, but I wanted to verify these things up front before my 1 yr extension is approved. I am going to go with purchasing the single re-entry permit, as that was my original idea, its nice to know I can purchase it up-front, and use or not use it if the time comes. I didn't want to be dealing with this on a case to case basis, just purchase it and either use it, or not.

Do we need to declare which country we are headed to?  Just in case the wife say wants to go to Japan, and I don't need to head back to the states?

Edited by ocddave

7 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

So when I get my extension, I don't need to decide anything on the spot. I can later opt for either the single or the multiple re-entry permit at any time during the following year. Is that correct?

Correct

You can get the re-entry permit whenever you want to.

4 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

Yes. I just took a re-entry permit. This was 4 months after my visa extension - retirement.

My question is: My 90 report expires on May 2, I return to Thailand on May 9, is it true that I will do my next 90 report on August 7 (90 days from my latest re-entry?

Also must I renew my TM-30 and when, even through I won't have changed addresses?

8 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Do we need to declare which country we are headed to?  Just in case the wife say wants to go to Japan, and I don't need to head back to the states?

There is a space on the form to show when you are going and where (and why)?  I'm not sure how you would answer that question if you are doing this provisionally? I'm sure if you stated you just wanted it for an emergency, it wouldn't be a problem.  The re-entry stamp in my passport has no such information.

Edited by avvocato

1 minute ago, avvocato said:

My question is: My 90 report expires on May 2, I return to Thailand on May 9, is it true that I will do my next 90 report on August 7 (90 days from my latest re-entry?

Leaving the country ends the existing 90 days. You start a new 90 days from the date you enter the country including that date.

2 minutes ago, avvocato said:

Also must I renew my TM-30 and when, even through I won't have changed addresses?

That depends upon the office you use. Some don't want one unless you change addresses.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are only 2 or 3 border crossings that have re-entry permit desks.

In the past, the wife and I have crossed at Mae Sai (for Tachileik), Nong Khai (for Vientiane), and Aranyaprathet (for Poipet). Which of these three would be most likely to have the facility of issuing re-entry visas?

9 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

In the past, the wife and I have crossed at Mae Sai (for Tachileik), Nong Khai (for Vientiane), and Aranyaprathet (for Poipet). Which of these three would be most likely to have the facility of issuing re-entry visas?

As I recall, Nong Khai and Aran (Poipet) can issue re-entry permits, but Mae Sai cannot. Personally, I never risk border crossings for things like this, as rules and services are too subject to change.