Bicycle Mechanic Needed

I don't know where on the island you are, but...

If in/near Maenam, there is a cycle shop at ring road/Soi 2 next to the 7-11. If near Bophut, try Racing World  which is about 100-200 yards past the Bophut market heading towards Cheweng. If near Cheweng, try the shop close to the PPT gas station on the ring road;

Good luck

Just now, Samui Bodoh said:

I don't know where on the island you are, but...

If in/near Maenam, there is a cycle shop at ring road/Soi 2 next to the 7-11. If near Bophut, try Racing World  which is about 100-200 yards past the Bophut market heading towards Cheweng. If near Cheweng, try the shop close to the PPT gas station on the ring road;

Good luck

Thanks, I'm in Mae Nam but happy to go anywhere on the island. 

Do you have any experience with any of these or have an opinion of which might be the best for my needs?

Appreciate your help

JC

No worries, I cycle every morning at dawn and so I sympathize.

I have used all three, but not for anything complicated. The guy in Maenam is a good guy and speaks English. Racing World both sells and repairs high end mountain bikes, but when I have gone there, the mechanic (?!) has been a kid. The chief saleslady speaks English very well (and non-stop!) and could translate. In Cheweng, I have only bought parts.

If it were me, I'd start in Maenam. But, if you need parts, go to Racing World.

Cheers

Edited by Samui Bodoh

Sorry post went out prematurely.
After the bend it is about 30 metres more and then on the right side. There is even a green sign there that ssys mtb mechanic. His name is Dit and he speaks English qwite well.
He is also a very good mtb racer.
Good luck
Carlos

Thanks for all the responses.

The piston in my hydraulic brake master cylinder needed resetting.

Mink at The Cycling Samui Bike Shop did a great job! He's a real bike mechanic, speaks English, nice guy and very reasonable.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCycling/

Glad to be sorted, talking about MTB racing I'm going to the Mae Nam track this morning to practice as the organizers are suppose to be setting up for the April 9th race today.

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1558940

Edited by junglechef

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, junglechef said:

Could anyone recommend someone to service hydraulic disk brakes on a high-end MTB? 

Thanks,

Vacationing Ex-pat

JC

They are simple enough to service yourself.  All detailed information is available on the internet and this is only 1 of them

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/#article-section-3

Edited by whatawonderfulday

26 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

They are simple enough to service yourself.  All detailed information is available on the internet and this is only 1 of them

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/#article-section-3

"Everything is easy if you know how to do it" JC (me :smile:)

I am (slowly) learning how to DIY service on my bike, with lots of useful help from Youtube and other internet pages , thanks for the Park Tool link, but often don't have the correct tool, especially on vacation, or the skill to do it correctly.

The issue here was diagnostic, which was fixed with experience AND asking about the service and riding history of this particular brake.

Actually originally on first inspection he thought it might need a new piston but then upon me providing further information he pushed the piston back. If he didn't have the experience and just started replacing parts, as is the norm in Thailand, I would have to wait for the part to be delivered and my holiday wouldn't have been as enjoyable sans bike. For the 100 bht I'm sure glad I got professional help (and probably should use that advise with other parts of my life - LOL)

I'm a Chef and when a customer asks for a recipe, which I always happily provide, I know quite well that they will most probably never be able to get the same results as when prepared by the professional (me again :smile::smile:).

On 3/26/2017 at 0:07 AM, Carlos Primeros said:

Sorry post went out prematurely.
After the bend it is about 30 metres more and then on the right side. There is even a green sign there that ssys mtb mechanic. His name is Dit and he speaks English qwite well.
He is also a very good mtb racer.
Good luck
Carlos

Thanks, met Dit at Mae Nam Soi 1 course Sunday. He was setting up for upcoming race. Nice guy but builds are wicked track!!!