Thai wife refused entry on Thai passport?

On a holiday to thailand a couple of years back we took the time to renew my wife's ID card and passport. She had entered Thailand on her UK passport and departed with it too.

She has just flown back to Thailand, ahead of me, and presented her Thai passport at Phuket. She was told she could not use it as there was no stamp in it for exiting Thailand. She explained the above but they said the Thai passport should have been issued in the Uk not Phuket.

They absolutely refused her her entry on it. Her only way of entry, they said, was to use the Uk passport which is what she did. If she wanted another way she would have to give up her British passport/nationality.

Obviously that leaves her entered as a falang when she wants to be aa a Thai national because we are completing our move to Thailand soon and this was to be her final entry "home".

Is there any way to overturn the decision?

I can send her very old Thai passport out which would show travel in and out of Thailand, would that help.

As I understood it a Thai cannot be refused entry on Thai passport, even if expired.

What can we do from here without her having to fly out and back in again? I am assuming that the immigration officer is wrong in what he said.

post #8 no "visa" but likely a 30 day permission stamp. Quick border run entering with and leaving with a Thai pspt should cover staying as a Thai, return to UK on UK ppt and returning to Thailand on a UK ppt gives the same problem next time.

If you leave on Thai ppt, enter UK on UK ppt, return to Thailand on Thai ppt everything should look kosher. My wife always uses US ppt entering and leaving US, and her Thai ppt when dealing with Thai imm.

All stamps seem to be in order and things run smoothly. I hope I'm not missing something important, if so, let me know.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She has to leave on the UK passport to clear the entry she has in it or there could be serious problems in the future if she ever tried to enter with it for some reason. It is also possible that her Thai and UK passports are linked due the names and date of birth are the same on the passports.

Doesn't work Joe.

Thai leaves on UK passport, TM6 records, name, DOB and UK passport ID number.

On re-entry with a Thai passport Immigration can match name, DOB but not ID number of Thai passport with TM6 ID number

All three must match otherwise suspicion and denial of entry often occurs.

(More than one Mrs Smith with the same DOB, but the ID used differentiates the persons as it's unique to them)

An IO could use his discretion and common sense to amend the database on entry, but perhaps because of lack of knowledge or training of how to resolve the situation, but much easier to insist the original passport you used to exit must be used to re-enter.

I've been through this scenario with my local Immigration office and the regional office in Khon Kaen who contacted CW for advice and clarification.

Your absolutely correct that in this situation you should request to speak to a senior IO who should be able to sort the problem out there and then. However many Thais do not like confrontation, or to admit they were at fault in the first instance, which results in serious loss of face, so it rarely happens.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

Doesn't work Joe.

Thai leaves on UK passport, TM6 records, name, DOB and UK passport ID number.
On re-entry with a Thai passport Immigration can match name, DOB but not ID number of Thai passport with TM6 ID number
All three must match otherwise suspicion and denial of entry often occurs.
(More than one Mrs Smith with the same DOB, but the ID used differentiates the persons as it's unique to them)

An IO could use his discretion and common sense to amend the database on entry, but perhaps because of lack of knowledge or training of how to resolve the situation, but much easier to insist the original passport you used to exit must be used to re-enter.
I've been through this scenario with my local Immigration office and the regional office in Khon Kaen who contacted CW for advice and clarification.

Your absolutely correct that in this situation you should request to speak to a senior IO who should be able to sort the problem out there and then. However many Thais do not like confrontation, or to admit they were at fault in the first instance, which results in serious loss of face, so it rarely happens.

Would agree, but what happens if the exit from Thailand is many years ago? Still in issue? On a Thai passport you fill in a TM6 on exit, but usually not on entry. What about the new e-passport system?

BTW, most likely she will now be faced with renouncing one citizenship or the other.   You just wasted a ton of time and money getting two passports and then having to redo it all.   Shoulda Googled it and read laws on it and then taught her there must be no mistakes.

Can Thai have dual nationality?
DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Child born abroad to Thaiparents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to retain.

Thailand - Dual and Multiple Citizenship

www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_THAILAND.html

Dual citizenship - Udon Thani Thailand Forum - Udon Thani ...

www.udonmap.com › Forum › Thailand Visa & Law Issues › Thailand Law
Feb 29, 2008 - 15 posts - ‎12 authors
Generally, Thailand does not allow dual citizenship. A person who .... My Son, Has British and ThaiPassports, he is 1 year old. Last year we all ...

8 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Would agree, but what happens if the exit from Thailand is many years ago? Still in issue? On a Thai passport you fill in a TM6 on exit, but usually not on entry. What about the new e-passport system?

A Thai exiting Thailand should still hold the arrival part of the TM6.

There could be a situation where a Thai obtains a new Thai passport through the Thai Embassy in the UK.

On re-entry to Thailand their will be a conflict in the recorded exit ID and re-entry ID.

This is where I completely agree with UJ, to ask for a senior IO who can amend the database accordingly with the new updated information. I suspect a regular IO will be reluctant to change anything on their database.

1 hour ago, thatguy said:

post 10 ubonjoe As a Thai can she not cross the border (run) both ways as a Thai (Thai ppt); then return to UK with the papers she got on entry(BKK) in the uk ppt? She will have exit and entry stamps in the Thai ppt

The issue with this is it would remain the same, i.e. the exit and entry stamps are the wrong way around, my understanding is the IO refused as there was no exit stamp in her Thai passport and by doing the above there still would not be, because she would exited and then entered, rather than just exited and therefore no TM6 for the exit. 

The IO was totally wrong as has been stated and should have been reported.

2 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Has an attempt been made to go into a local Thai Immigration Office to see if they can arrange a 'short-cut' or other suggestions on how to rectify the problem?

Yes.

They tell me the Thai must take their ID card, Tabien Baan and both passport into the office.

Passports and copies of ID card and TB will then be sent to Bangkok where the database can be updated and corrected.

It sounds as though standard IO's do not have the authority to make changes. Only authorised personnel can do that.

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Yes.

They tell me the Thai must take their ID card, Tabien Baan and both passport into the office.

Passports and copies of ID card and TB will then be sent to Bangkok where the database can be updated and corrected.

It sounds as though standard IO's do not have the authority to make changes. Only authorised personnel can do that.

Why on earth would that need to be done.