Jump to content

Thais face UPHILL TASK


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Thais face UPHILL TASK

By THE NATION

 

97c57f1d4fd44a67a6cdf533f53c57e3.jpeg

Thailand coach Kiatisak Senamuang

 

NATIONAL FOOTBALL team coach Kiatisak Senamuang acknowledged things were not going to be any easier for his charges after going down 3-0 at home to Saudi Arabia on Thursday when they go up against four-time Asian champions Japan in the World Cup qualifier in Saitama next week.

 

The Thai side, the lowest-ranked side to reach the final round of the Asian qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, slumped to a fifth loss in six group matches when their limitations were cruelly exposed by a clinical Saudi side at Rajamangala National Stadium.

 

The result virtually extinguished the 127th-ranked Thai team’s hopes of a first-ever World Cup finals appearance. Kiatisak’s side, who have only a single point from a possible 18, lie at the bottom of the Group B standings, 12 points off the group’s two automatic qualification spots with four games left to play.

 

Next up is an equally daunting task on Tuesday – against a resurgent Japanese side, who are on a five-game unbeaten run after a losing start to their campaign in the last-12 round. They are tied on 13 points with the Saudis but behind on goal difference after beating the UAE 2-0 away on Thursday.

 

Kiatisak admitted there would be no respite for them when they visit Japan, who are bidding to reach a sixth successive World Cup finals, at the Saitama Stadium, one of the venues of the 2002 World Cup that was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

 

“It’s a tough task for us as we’re facing such a top team in the region like Japan and we have to play in their backyard at this time. Nevertheless, we have to check our players’ condition first to see whether they’re in good shape or not.

 

“More importantly, we have to lift our players’ morale and shrug the latest setback off. We know well that in football you can win or lose. You’re happy when you win but you are disappointed when you lose. This is natural. We need to dust off these negative feelings and get ready for the next challenge,” said Kiatisak, before boarding a flight to Japan with his squad in the morning on Friday.

 

The reverse against the Saudis came at a cost for the Thai side as captain Theerathon Bunmathan will have to sit out Tuesday’s fixture due to a suspension, prompting Kiatisak to draft in Chonburi FC’s Nurul Sriyankem as his replacement.

 

“We decided to call up Nurul because we believe he could help us in attack. He’s one of the first names that came to mind. He is definitely going to complement our game, offensively,” Kiatisak said of the player who would join up with the squad later in Japan.

 

The 43-year-old coach was also tipping Muangthong United’s Peerapat Notechaiya, who came on as a second-half substitute against the Saudis, to fill the void left by his clubmate Theerathon’s enforced absence on the left side of defence.

 

“Actually, Peerapat was brought on for Theerathon when Muangthong played Ulsan Hyundai in the recent AFC Champions League game after he picked up a knock early in the match. He did perform well.

 

“We believe he could do a good job as a left back, both offensively and defensively. He should be a competent replacement,” the Thai coach said of Peerapat, who normally operates as a right back.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sports/30310223

 

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IT' s a shame  the run is almost over. it seemed to give  football in thailand a much needed ' shot in the arm ' raising the interest of many people not normally interested. for  Football in thailand  to carry on growing it  needs the national team to be succesful

Edited by 3 minus 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did well to get into the last 12 but they do rank 12th. If a team like N Korea can qualify for the finals, there is hope for the future. They need a Hiddink type figure to lead them. That would involve spending money they don't appear to have. Current boss is on 40K Baht per month plus a very decent whack for commercial endorsements. A truly top class manager wouldn't get out of bed for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well ultimately whilst their love of football is renowned that are still unable to grasp the basic concepts. Football is a team game but Thais are always me me me so until they understand what being a team player is they will never be any good at the highest levels in football or any other team sport. A shame because they have a few skilfull individuals but lack that team player spirit.  And before all the apologists chime  in I do not consider badminton doubles as a team sport no more that synchronised swimming !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, champers said:

Did well to get into the last 12 but they do rank 12th. If a team like N Korea can qualify for the finals, there is hope for the future. They need a Hiddink type figure to lead them. That would involve spending money they don't appear to have. Current boss is on 40K Baht per month plus a very decent whack for commercial endorsements. A truly top class manager wouldn't get out of bed for that.

koreans are a step above the other asian teams i've seen. japan being the leaders, but unlike other asian cultures koreans have a genuine footballing culture and produce players accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Well ultimately whilst their love of football is renowned that are still unable to grasp the basic concepts. Football is a team game but Thais are always me me me so until they understand what being a team player is they will never be any good at the highest levels in football or any other team sport. A shame because they have a few skilfull individuals but lack that team player spirit.  And before all the apologists chime  in I do not consider badminton doubles as a team sport no more that synchronised swimming !!!

do you watch live local  football in thailand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2017 at 1:21 PM, carmine said:

Shame they can't adopt their "farangs not allowed to win" to football and the national team!  :smile:

But that attitude doesn't guarantee success in international tournaments as England, for example, has graphically illustrated time and time again since 1966! :smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/03/2017 at 7:49 AM, whatawonderfulday said:

Well ultimately whilst their love of football is renowned that are still unable to grasp the basic concepts. Football is a team game but Thais are always me me me so until they understand what being a team player is they will never be any good at the highest levels in football or any other team sport. A shame because they have a few skilfull individuals but lack that team player spirit.  And before all the apologists chime  in I do not consider badminton doubles as a team sport no more that synchronised swimming !!!

yeah  team work instinctively it's alien to them , they can learn it and  do it , but its not instinctive, and at the elite level of team work thats that can be a huge diference. now if you put it to them it was 'family work, then maybe they'de get somewhere, but seriousely  saw japan WAY BAC in 98 in samerica cup and ALL they lacked to totaly compete  was a striker.asia will get there, of that i'm sure.

When?, of that i'm not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah  team work instinctively it's alien to them , they can learn it and  do it , but its not instinctive, and at the elite level of team work thats that can be a huge diference. now if you put it to them it was 'family work, then maybe they'de get somewhere, but seriousely  saw japan WAY BAC in 98 in samerica cup and ALL they lacked to totaly compete  was a striker.asia will get there, of that i'm sure.

When?, of that i'm not sure.

My view is that they will not go anywhere until they get an experienced foreign coach again.   Thai coaches have the wrong mind-set unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

But that attitude doesn't guarantee success in international tournaments as England, for example, has graphically illustrated time and time again since 1966! :smile:

I wasn't aware England has a "farangs not allowed to win" policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, carmine said:

I wasn't aware England has a "farangs not allowed to win" policy.

But this is certainly the policy of the sizeable jingoistic element of their supporters, is it not? And if  by "they" you didn't, in fact, mean their Thai counterparts (as I thought you did), then precisely who were you referring to?

Edited by OJAS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

But this is certainly the policy of the sizeable jingoistic element of their supporters, is it not? And if  by "they" you didn't, in fact, mean their Thai counterparts (as I thought you did), then precisely who were you referring to?

Now you've completely lost me.  

 

btw, you do realize don't you the majority of English football fans are fully aware the national is not very good and we are entitled to nothing?  That so called air of entitlement vanished many years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...