Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You didn't accept my word that I have lived and worked in 38 countries. So you are basing that everybody hates you because you lived in SA for 6 years yet you STILL claim that I said that everybody loves me. Putting the same words in my mouth once again and still believing that I know nothing of what goes on around me. What arrogance and ignorance on your part.

As you your ridiculous claim that as an anonymous poster no claim can be verified, what about your claim of 6 years in SA.

In my case the UK Inland Revenue knows where I have been as I have filled in my tax forms every year. I know where I have been as I have the record of where and when. My first wife knew a lot of it as does my second Thai wife.

The important people in my life knew but people like you actually have no idea but still claim the "moral" high ground. I am happy that you believe that you know more than anybody else about love and hate in the world. It is just that you don't really. Only your experience and your opinion which may mean a lot to you but nothing to me or quite a few other people.

Wrong! My original opinion was based solely on your comment that you had visited, lived and worked in 38 countries. That's what made your ignorance seem so extreme. Then you started talking about speaking from lower orifices, and your replies started to look more like stalking and flaming, especially considering you entered into a debate I was having with another member... to back him up.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Perhaps you're the one tripping, while you make trips all over the world.

In the US you can cop a beating or worse just for being a Trump supporter. It'll take a lot less than that in Thailand - the subject of this thread.

You see I originally laughed (555) at your " ignorance is bliss" post . And you came back with , you had also laughed when you read my post . Then your next post suggested I had said I travelled around the world and everyone I met loved me . I'm struggling to find anything remotely similar being posted by me that suggest that . Maybe you genuinely got your wires crossed in a conversation with another person ? 

Or maybe "ignorance is bliss" after all . 

16 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

You see I originally laughed (555) at your " ignorance is bliss" post . And you came back with , you had also laughed when you read my post . Then your next post suggested I had said I travelled around the world and everyone I met loved me . I'm struggling to find anything remotely similar being posted by me that suggest that . Maybe you genuinely got your wires crossed in a conversation with another person ? 

Or maybe "ignorance is bliss" after all . 

My apologies. I did get my wires crossed - it was samsensam who travelled around the world (to over 50 countries) and never encountered any hate, not you.:sad:

samsensam:

"i've travelled quite widely, over 50 countries, and i can say i have never felt hated anywhere... if you are encountering hate anywhere the first place i suggest you look for the cause is yourself."

Then Mr Build came in to tell me that samsensam is correct and I'm the ignorant one, because he's never encountered any hate in 38 countries. Build mistakingly referenced you instead of samsensam, adding to the confusion.

Once again, please accept my apology.

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

My apologies. I did get my wires crossed - it was samsensam who travelled around the world (to over 50 countries) and never encountered any hate, not you.:sad:

samsensam:

"i've travelled quite widely, over 50 countries, and i can say i have never felt hated anywhere... if you are encountering hate anywhere the first place i suggest you look for the cause is yourself."

Then Mr Build came in to tell me that samsensam is correct and I'm the ignorant one, because he's never encountered any hate in 38 countries. Build mistakingly referenced you instead of samsensam, adding to the confusion.

Once again, please accept my apology.

No problem , Thank you 

Only thing I have noticed over the years ,but it's not hate, they do tend to snigger,be it very much behind their back , at Ferangs who Farm on the quiet. !!.Him no money,they tell me with great pleasure . I long gave up explaining in some cases but not all,years ago.Hate isn't part of Thai Culture I've found.thats the domain of Islamic Fanatics that This endure down South,yet still don't have A Western oust the bloody lot attitude like I have.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have never noticed/experienced hate because I'm a farang. Over 11 years, I have seen situations where because someone doesn't speak Thai, they assume you know nothing. As an example, with basic motoring problems, you can be treated like you know nothing despite having owned (worked on) in excess of 40 vehicles. Same applies to home building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its safe to say that some Thais 'automatically' dislike or look down on foreigners/farangs for various reasons.

1) They live in tourist areas and have come across the worst examples.

2) Experience tells them we are sometimes cash cows, exploitable and therefore stupid.

3) Sometimes purely a nationalistic thing.

Having said this, its not something I've personally experienced apart from a 'nasty glance' a couple of times.

I'd add that EVERY time I've had a small 'public' problem e.g. scooter problems - at least one Thai has invariably stopped to either help me or ask whether I needed help :smile:.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think its safe to say that some Thais 'automatically' dislike or look down on foreigners/farangs for various reasons.

1) They live in tourist areas and have come across the worst examples.

2) Experience tells them we are sometimes cash cows, exploitable and therefore stupid.

3) Sometimes purely a nationalistic thing.

Having said this, its not something I've personally experienced apart from a 'nasty glance' a couple of times.

I'd add that EVERY time I've had a small 'public' problem e.g. scooter problems - at least one Thai has invariably stopped to either help me or ask whether I needed help :smile:.

I'd go with #3. They really like number 2's.

I've only lived in rural Thailand for 2 years, but Thai people are still overwhelmingly friendly, smiling and helpful. We still seem to get rock star treatment.

I think the Buddhist philosophy means that poor Thais don't resent, or are jealous of, rich people. They go out of their way to give them special treatment. They assume farang are wealthy.

The thinking is that maybe we did wonderful things in our past lives and now we are being rewarded by having it a bit easier in this life. That is something everyone, rich or poor, can aspire to.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the case. I have seen it constantly as a tourist and now as a resident in retirement. Thais simply cannot wrap their heads around the fact that I have an upper-middle class Thai income for doing absolutely nothing. There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income, as if Thais have been cheated of something because I have an income that allows me to live well in this country. "Americah....big, big money...think they own the world." :shock1:  There is also the totally bogus belief that those who WORK here are taking jobs away from Thais. Sure.....learn English from a Thai and see if you'll ever be understood in an English-speaking country. :sleep: These people are beyond belief.

6 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the case. I have seen it constantly as a tourist and now as a resident in retirement. Thais simply cannot wrap their heads around the fact that I have an upper-middle class Thai income for doing absolutely nothing. There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income, as if Thais have been cheated of something because I have an income that allows me to live well in this country. "Americah....big, big money...think they own the world." :shock1:  There is also the totally bogus belief that those who WORK here are taking jobs away from Thais. Sure.....learn English from a Thai and see if you'll ever be understood in an English-speaking country. :sleep: These people are beyond belief.

Then you're very unlucky as its not something I've experienced or even recognise.

Yes, like everyone else I've experienced over pricing based on being a Westerner - but that's entirely different to the perceived Thai 'thoughts' raised in your post - other than 'those working here are taking jobs away from Thais'.

Edit - "There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income".

A Thai actually stated that there was something "vaguely dishonest about your income"?  Sounds unlikely to me.

Edited by dick dasterdly

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the case. I have seen it constantly as a tourist and now as a resident in retirement. Thais simply cannot wrap their heads around the fact that I have an upper-middle class Thai income for doing absolutely nothing. There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income, as if Thais have been cheated of something because I have an income that allows me to live well in this country. "Americah....big, big money...think they own the world." :shock1:  There is also the totally bogus belief that those who WORK here are taking jobs away from Thais. Sure.....learn English from a Thai and see if you'll ever be understood in an English-speaking country.[emoji99]These people are beyond belief.

Lol. Nice troll. Yeah thais absolutely do not know what a pension is and they have never met other retirees before you.

How do you know what they are really thinking? Maybe they are thinking... Ah another one, a peasant in his own land but comes to a poorer country to be a king. ;-)

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If anything Thais hate us (if they do) because they now know that most farangs don't have much at all and are not so smart. They are starting to understand that we are not all rich and that many drive taxis, dig ditches, clean hotel room toilets and do same back home that Thais normally hire others to do. We have been knocked down a few notches and now they see us as equal with no need to over respect us like in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Then you're very unlucky as its not something I've experienced or even recognise.

Yes, like everyone else I've experienced over pricing based on being a Westerner - but that's entirely different to the perceived Thai 'thoughts' raised in your post - other than 'those working here are taking jobs away from Thais'.

Edit - "There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income".

A Thai actually stated that there was something "vaguely dishonest about your income"?  Sounds unlikely to me.

Sounds like a Teacher to me,,m. Dont think 25K per month will upset any Thai.:smile:

Never had any trouble here at all ,i am always treated well and as most Thai people realize that i live here in Thailand never get overcharged , Another thing i find is that as my wife is obviously quite well educated and dresses quite well , people are quite respectful and polite 

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

No, it was poorly articulated...more like "...86 thousand bath??? Something wrong with that,"   No Thai would ever use the term vaguely dishonest" , even the concept does not translate. All of the rancor in the posts by the "faithful" is expected. Thais are a pack of jealous numpties, who have never taken one step to improve their social well-being. They wait for the generous elite to grant them fair wages and rights. Heads on pikes is what gets results.

4 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

How do you know what they are really thinking? Maybe they are thinking... Ah another one, a peasant in his own land but comes to a poorer country to be a king. ;-)

More like "average income guy comes to Thailand to  make his money go farther."  People who use terms like "peasant", show their true attitude: contempt for those who are not part of the moneyed elite. Get back to your castle before the riff raff have you beheaded.

Edited by Chip Allen

6 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

No, it was poorly articulated...more like "...86 thousand bath??? Something wrong with that,"   No Thai would ever use the term vaguely dishonest" , even the concept does not translate. All of the rancor in the posts by the "faithful" is expected. Thais are a pack of jealous numpties, who have never taken one step to improve their social well-being. They wait for the generous elite to grant them fair wages and rights. Heads on pikes is what gets results.

I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Obviously, Thais are not using the words: "vaguely dishonest". They are thinking there's something off and suggesting the foreigner may be doing something illegal.  

On 3/25/2017 at 11:01 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Not sure what you mean.

I was at a friend's condo a two nights ago and we came out and his car had been vandalized. He's quite a friendly guy and the owner of the shop opposite went through their CCTV with them, and it was 2 new security guards at the condo. Another Thai resident there said that to him.

You need a hobby.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, lanng khao said:

IV constantly reiterated to my wife that i haven't got a pot to piss in,, doesn't seem to sink in..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Try a visit to Daiso. They have some lovely little  pans that you can use as a bedpan.

2 hours ago, sandemara said:

You  have it all wrong. Traditionally, the rich, powerful and privileged hate the poor  ...  just because.  Hardly anyone in this world needs a real reason to hate.

it's you who got it all wrong. the rich, powerful and privileged love the poor. because without the poor they would be poor too.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:48 AM, DLang said:

Except when the country almost erupts into rich versus poor civil war.... of course. 

I can't wait to see it. No doubt which side I will be rooting for. Except that I may have to flee to Cambodia, since, by Thai definition, I am "rich".

Edited by Chip Allen