Over 80 percent admit they used to be rejected by a cabbie

webfact

Over 80 percent admit they used to be rejected by a cabbie

IMG_9860.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over 80 percent of the respondents to Nida Poll admitted they had been rejected at least once by taxi drivers whereas 46 percent said they didn’t know Uber taxi and has never used its service.

The pollster of the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) conducted an opinion survey of 1,250 samples representing a cross section of people in Bangkok and its peripherals during March 23-25 about their experiences with ordinary taxi drivers and Uber private taxi drivers.

Of the 1,250 respondents sampled, 21.92 percent said they had never used taxi service compared to 78.08 percent who said they had used the service. Of the 78.08 percent who used the service once or more, 75.51 percent admitted that they encountered problems with the cabbies.

82.50 percent said they were once rejected by taxi drivers; 29.99 percent said they found some taxis quite old, dirty or the airconditioning did not function properly; 28.9 percent said they met with cabbies who deliberately took detour route in order to claim higher fare; 25.64 percent said cabbies were impolite; 21.85 percent complained of speeding by cabbies, suddenly applying brake, jumping red light or parking at no-parking areas and 20.90 percent complained of cabbies not using meters.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/80-percent-admit-used-rejected-cabbie/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-27

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, jerojero said:

80% suffered at least one rejection, but the more practical question is what percentage of all taxi rides resulted in rejection.

I'd say the practical question would be how many got to their desired location, and how many rejections they had before there was a forthcoming cabbie, as well how many minutes or hours they wasted - that would be a proper metric :)

Edited by jabis
Sharpening

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

Completely arbitrary to try and draw conclusions. Entirely depends on location. 

In any country that has a taxi system established, it is quite reasonable to expect getting from point A to point B- thus drawing conclusions is absolutely a must in cases where over 8/10 don't end up where they want!?

Yep, and there's nothing the government or anybody else can or will do something

about it as the 1,000 fine  is a joke and clearly not working

as a deterrent....

Edited by ezzra

26 minutes ago, jabis said:

In any country that has a taxi system established, it is quite reasonable to expect getting from point A to point B- thus drawing conclusions is absolutely a must in cases where over 8/10 don't end up where they want!?

The conclusion to be drawn then is that taxi mafia exist and operate in certain locations and not others. Not going to get consistent results without taking this into account. 

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The conclusion to be drawn then is that taxi mafia exist and operate in certain locations and not others. Not going to get consistent results without taking this into account. 

Granted, then you have to look at 300 000 taxis on the roads of BKK, as well as the actual drivers  - each - not gonna get a consistent result with them either, I'd presume :) 

True, you get some decent drivers. However the complaints that arise about fare refusal keep recurring in certain (tourist) locations. I have a very low success rate getting a meter fare in lower sukhumvit while at the same time I get a 100% acceptance rate higher up sukhumvit or elsewhere in the city. I speak Thai quite well, but all that means is the rejections come back in Thai. Taxi corruption is like police corruption, different practices apply in different districts and locations. 

If they don't want to take someone I don't think they should have to.

I doubt the majority of people complaining of cabbies taking the "scenic route" have ever driven in Bangkok.

It seems like a bargain to me any way you look at it.

Live, love, laugh

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I doubt the majority of people complaining of cabbies taking the "scenic route" have ever driven in Bangkok.

Live, love, laugh

Back in Finland I know no one who refused a gig up to 1000km (Helsinki-Tornio might be around that), because there is mandatory resting period - driving just cargo or persons onboard :) 

Live, love, laugh

Yeah, I also think waiters should be able to refuse taking your order or bring you what they want at a price they desire!
Are you #%€?=¥|} kidding me?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, jabis said:

I'd say the practical question would be how many got to their desired location, and how many rejections they had before there was a forthcoming cabbie, as well how many minutes or hours they wasted - that would be a proper metric :)

Yes I have been rejected many times in a row before a cabbie decided to take me to my desired address. As far as I can see it is still a common practice.

They didn't include drivers that smelt like a brewery from been on the whiskey all night  !!

Dirty smelly cabs is always prominent

Try and get a taxi on Sukhumivit after  3.00pm ....     maybe get refused  4 out of 5 taxis.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Live, love, laugh

But having to take a fare where they want to go is their JOB it's what they agree to when they decide to be taxi drivers, that and using the meter are the basics, 

In the nine years I have lived in Thailand, I have always found the Taxi drivers to be polite and friendly, with never a problem until 2 weeks ago a taxi refused to take me home, the first one in nine years!  I have his number and will try him again and see what happens.   Tuk-tuks, son taews just the same, never had the slightest problem.

4 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

In the nine years I have lived in Thailand, I have always found the Taxi drivers to be polite and friendly, with never a problem until 2 weeks ago a taxi refused to take me home, the first one in nine years!  I have his number and will try him again and see what happens.   Tuk-tuks, son taews just the same, never had the slightest problem.

Whenever this issue comes up, there is always someone who says "never in 9 years ...".  Or "once in 9 years".  There really must be parallel universes in some of which Bangkok is a wonderful place with polite well-trained taxi drivers who will always take you where you want to go and are never rude or try to cheat you.

My misfortune is that I am stuck in this universe, where Bangkok taxi drivers are not like that.  I have been rejected many, many times.  For the record, since the apologists will be quick to jump on this ...

• Yes, I speak Thai
  • No, I am not suggesting that all taxi drivers are the same.  I actually think that the majority of taxi drivers are quite good, but there is an unacceptably high proportion who are not
  • No, it is not always around 4PM when I get rejected
  • No, I am not asking to go on an unreasonably long trip
  • No, I am not asking to go on an unreasonably short trip
  • No, it is not only on soi 11 or from Pratunam, or [fill in other supposedly "difficult" locations]

Here is my experience in the past week of 6 cab rides;

1. Attempted rip offs at Thonburi train station so walked 1 block away. Rejected  2X  for destination of Silom,  was accepted by tuk truk when asked for nearest  MRT.

2. Rejected 1X for local cab ride in Silom before getting a meter ride.

3. 2 local rides in Silom, no issues.

4. Rejected 2 X  near The Mall Bangkapi before  getting cab to take to MRT (145 baht ride)

5. Silom hotel to BKK rail station  cab wanted 150 baht from hotel  in Silom. Was able to get a meter ride 60 baht.

All rides requested by Thai person, and Thai language spoken.

Conclusion: As bad as ever.  Making matters worse, when I arrived in Hua Hin train station thugs demanded 300 baht to  go to destination that is normally 150 baht. Had to walk 15 minutes and  hail a tuk tuk.   The situation   just gets worse from my perspective.

But we can't have Uber or Grab because they don't follow the rules. Oh, neither does the current taxi system. And when they get caught breaking the rules, the punishments are pitiful. 

So why not allow them all and let the customer decide? 

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Outside Indra Hotel a couple of weeks ago waiting for a bus, saw one woman refused by 16 taxis before the bus came and she was still there. 

The question is what are they driving Taxis?  I just shake my head Like asking a doctor for a consultation visit and he says no when he is Pvt practice 

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

My family was here and for the total of 5 trips, only the 3rd taxi agrees to use meter. First 2 charge twice the actual fares.

I'm assuming that 4 out of 5 rides you accepted no meter. As long as there are passengers who will pay double, the taxis will charge double. You have to be prepared to not take the ride if the driver won't use the meter. No point in complaining about it after the fact.