SRT celebrates 120th year of railway service

webfact

SRT celebrates 120th year of railway service

BANGKOK, 27 March 2017 (NNT) – The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has held a ceremony to celebrate the 120th anniversary of its establishment, with improved services planned for the future. 

The Minister of Transport Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has presided over the opening ceremony of the SRT’s 120th anniversary celebration. 

He said throughout 120 years the SRT has been determined to improve rail services and develop passenger services which provide convenience and safety by implementing modern information technology, improving the rail transport network, and enhancing connectivity within the ASEAN region. 

Recent developments by the SRT include the introduction of 115 new passenger carriages into service, 308 new cargo carriages to enhance freight transport, improvements to the 3rd class passenger services, and accident prevention measures at level crossings. 

The SRT is pursuing its infrastructure development projects, namely the dual-track railroad development to enhance transport capability in long-term, and the construction of the Red Line commuter train service in Bangkok. 

The Red Line project will include the construction of Bang Sue Grand Station, serving long distance trains, commuter trains, and airport trains to enhance connectivity with other mass transit systems.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-27

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

The SRT is truly an amazing department....120 years they've been in operation and have never had to replace a single carriage or engine!

Out of 120 years of operation there may be a total of 500 months of uninterrupted service.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

The SRT is truly an amazing department....120 years they've been in operation and have never had to replace a single carriage or engine!

Strange- last time I caught a train from Bangkok it comprised shiny new carriages, very comfortable sleeper. Excellent service 

on and off train and a very cheap fare.  Slow but to timetable..  

last time I caught a train from London to Birmingham it was on "well used" carriages, crowdedmidling service, delays and very expensive.  Guess that's third world versus first world?

2 minutes ago, Privateer said:

Strange- last time I caught a train from Bangkok it comprised shiny new carriages, very comfortable sleeper. Excellent service 

on and off train and a very cheap fare.  Slow but to timetable..  

last time I caught a train from London to Birmingham it was on "well used" carriages, crowdedmidling service, delays and very expensive.  Guess that's third world versus first world?

You don't strike me as being 120 years old and hence on the first train !!!!  Or else you are imaginative