United Airlines under fire for 'barring girls wearing leggings'

webfact

United Airlines under fire for 'barring girls wearing leggings'

WASHINGTON: -- United Airlines has been heavily criticised on social media after two girls were reportedly barred from flying for wearing leggings.

The incident happened on a flight from Denver to Minneapolis on Sunday morning, activist Shannon Watts said.

A United gate agent was "forcing" the girls, one of them aged 10, to change their clothes or wear dresses over the leggings, she tweeted.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39401145

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-27

The issue seems to have been related to the fact they were travelling on a special pass for company staff and a dress code applies. Presumably they were family.

Sounds like someone is twisting the story because they didn't want to pay for a regular ticket.

Who knew that certain tickets have dress codes? I wonder how/whether passengers are informed of the dress code instructions before they fly.

I just saw the instructions. They are clear enough, though a little odd. Knee-length shorts are apparently okay.

The whole idea is daft, and United have got themselves into a mess here by applying it to children. The instructions don't mention children. Bottom line: poor management.

hear ! hear !!
now an airline should not impose a dress code on its personnel when they are flying as guest and representative of the airline.
I wish SU would impose a dress code for their freebee business class occupiers.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The issue seems to have been related to the fact they were travelling on a special pass for company staff and a dress code applies. Presumably they were family.

Sounds like someone is twisting the story because they didn't want to pay for a regular ticket.

Dress code for pass travellers specifically prohibits them

The following attire is unacceptable in any cabin but is not limited to:

Any attire that reveals a midriff.
Attire that reveals any type of undergarments.
Attire that is designated as sleepwear, underwear, or swim attire.
Mini Skirts
Shorts that do not meet 3 inches above the knee when in a standing position.
Form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses.
Attire that has offensive and/or derogatory terminology or graphics.
Attire that is excessively dirty or has holes/tears.
Any attire that is provocative, inappropriately revealing, or see-through clothing.
Bare feet
Beach-type, rubber flip-flops

United should go the rest of the way and implement a physical fitness test for employees and their family members flying on passes or sub-load discount tickets. 

1) Sprint 300 meters across duty free in less than 15 seconds. 

2) 50 push ups. 

• None of that knee on the ground for girls nonsense either.  That's sexist! 

3) 50 sit ups. 

This additional requirement would make these free loaders better appreciate the important role they fulfill as ambassadors of United Airlines, and become excellent role models for other pax.

5 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Who knew that ceittain tickets have dress codes? I wonder how/whether passengers are informed of the dress code instructions before they fly.

I just saw the instructions. They are clear enough, though a little odd. Knee-length shorts are apparently okay.

The whole idea is daft, and United have got themselves into a mess here by applying it to children. The instructions don't mention children. Bottom line: poor management.

Who knew?  They did, through their parent/s, staff member/s of United.

Staff must comply with the dress code FOR STAFF.  They travel on heavily discounted tickets/passes, and the employer Imposes a dress code.  

Fare paying pax aren't required to dress to that code, although most airlines have some requirements, e.g., must wear shoes/footwear and upper body clothing.

For 30 years I checked In looking like I'd just stepped out of Vogue magazine.  Firts or Business class Bangkok to London for not much over $100 made It worth dressing up.

Edited by F4UCorsair

21 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

That's the problem - there's hardly anywhere else to look. They are always there at the edge of your vision. And what if you're sandwiched between two guys in shorts? Seriously, it's anti-social, ban them.

No man in shorts will be allowed to sit beside me in a plane.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Power-crazed control freaks. These were 10 year-olds, for whom leggings is entirely appropriate dress. The miserable old dragons on the gate need to retire.

Those "miserable old dragons" had nothing to do with enforcement of a dress code made by corporate. They were doing their job. This is entirely the fault of the parents if they were the employees or the employee on whose pass benefits they were travelling. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

What about a Scotsman wear his Kilt traditional style, where does that come under the dress regulations / dress code. . . . . 

My friend, a genuine highlander, said something like: bluidy try!

Those "miserable old dragons" had nothing to do with enforcement of a dress code made by corporate. They were doing their job. This is entirely the fault of the parents if they were the employees or the employee on whose pass benefits they were travelling. 

They enforced it, so had everything to do with enforcement of the dress code.

sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Come to think of it, all men should be banned from wearing shorts on a plane. I don't want to have to look at some dude's hairy knees for hours.

Long sleeve shirts and gloves too, cause hairless elbows irritate me almost as much as hairy knuckles. 

I have a friend who works for an airline.  I now and then travel to and from Hawaii on passes.  There is a dress code and I have no problem with it and understand why they do it.  All airlines do this and it is not something new.  The passes are basically free tickets except for the taxes or heavily discounted and travel is on a space available basis. The airlines grant these as a benefit to their employees and want their employees and their guests to have just a bit of decorum on the planes.  This is much ado about nothing.  If the airline sets the rules and the non revenue passengers don't want to accept the rules, then they are entitled to pay full fare and wear what they want.  Whether they were kids or adults, that's the rules.  As a frequent traveler, it is sometimes appalling to see what people wear on a domestic flight in the US.  Ever walked down the aisle and see what the condition of the aircraft is in after a flight?  People really are slobs.

58 minutes ago, Trouble said:

I have a friend who works for an airline.  I now and then travel to and from Hawaii on passes.  There is a dress code and I have no problem with it and understand why they do it.  All airlines do this and it is not something new.  The passes are basically free tickets except for the taxes or heavily discounted and travel is on a space available basis. The airlines grant these as a benefit to their employees and want their employees and their guests to have just a bit of decorum on the planes.  This is much ado about nothing.  If the airline sets the rules and the non revenue passengers don't want to accept the rules, then they are entitled to pay full fare and wear what they want.  Whether they were kids or adults, that's the rules.  As a frequent traveler, it is sometimes appalling to see what people wear on a domestic flight in the US.  Ever walked down the aisle and see what the condition of the aircraft is in after a flight?  People really are slobs.

58 minutes ago, Trouble said:

I find it strange  that such  conditions  exist!  If regular passengers  can  wear  whatever  why  treat  "pass" travellers  so differently?  Do they  also  need to  wear  highly visible labels  stating  " diminutive employees or  relatives  of  "  so as  to differentiate them from the other  average  slobs?

Have  little experience  of  domestic  United  flights   but   on  International  I would  have  no problem barring and expelling many the  frumpy grumpy  flight attendants. If permitted  I am  sure I  could  provide  myself  with  friendlier  and  more  efficient  service! 

21 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Who knew that certain tickets have dress codes? I wonder how/whether passengers are informed of the dress code instructions before they fly.

What's daft is the idea that a public-facing company like an airline can't set a simple dress-code for its employees and their guests when exercising special privileges the airline has granted them.

Who knew that companies have dress codes...

:sleep:

Edited by hawker9000

18 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Who knew?  They did, through their parent/s, staff member/s of United.

Staff must comply with the dress code FOR STAFF.  They travel on heavily discounted tickets/passes, and the employer Imposes a dress code.  

Fare paying pax aren't required to dress to that code, although most airlines have some requirements, e.g., must wear shoes/footwear and upper body clothing.

For 30 years I checked In looking like I'd just stepped out of Vogue magazine.  Firts or Business class Bangkok to London for not much over $100 made It worth dressing up.

must wear shoes/footwear

I wish they'd ban stilettos on planes. The chance of getting a heel through my foot isn't worth their "right" to wear inappropriate footwear on a plane which might become an emergency situation.

TBH, I didn't even know what "leggings" were.  They are, apparently, the latest "thing " to be upset about on-line - a beacon for feminist activists, and females who, under normal circumstances, wouldn't be caught dead in them.

Huh.jpg.ebb19abaeaf79e99f6d286c60573d831.jpg

There's another BBC article in the news stream about this.  An elected official in 'Murica apparently weighed in publicly, suggesting females over the age of 20 shouldn't wear these leggings.  His rationale was, at or under that youthful age, females look good and even cute in revealing clothing.   Given the reported trend in child obesity these days, he might be out of touch, or just engaging in wishful thinking.  Apart from that, you can imagine his comment sent feminists into deep space orbit; and him scrambling back under his white male rock of shame, claiming he was, "Jus' kiddin'!"  LOL.

On the other hand, and not that United Corporate deserves any retroactive credit here but, our feminist activists and their male sycophants, ought to quit Twitting memes and cliches on Twitter for 2 minutes, and remember the opportunistic perverts and pedophiles that walk among us.  Even sit next to us on flying machines as anonymously as those on United Airlines Family Pass tickets do.  Maybe they forgot in their haste to get triggered. 

They would say women can wear whatever they want without fear of being chatted up or accosted by some creep, or worse.  And they would be right, at least in theory, for grown women who, in theory, can take care of themselves.

In this case however, Mom dressed her 10 year old daughter in leggings and sent her, along with other youngish girls in leggings, into the wilds of what the same Crusaders call the American Rape Culture, serving them up as an eye candy smorgasbord for creeps, perverts, rapists and pedoes.  Why no outrage over that?  No  #negligentmom?  If Mom fails to pick the kid up from school on time, she'll face jeering crowds wanting her thrown in jail and throw away the key.  Where's the perspective?

Not that United had that in the forefront when crafting the employee/Pass Flier dress code but, from this POV, that United Airlines Gate Nazi who did Mom's job for her, might rate a word of thanks instead.  Who knows, maybe she saved those young girls from something they might not fully understand, and moreover, a potential outcome far worse than a missed flight. 

Just an alternate point of view I had.  I'll probably wind up on the TSA No Fly List. :laugh: