Can a Farang get Thai Government Medicine Insurance?

doggie1955

Thai government workers and ex-government workers have medical insurance to which they can also sign up one co-dependent (such as a spouse or other immediate family member). While the insurance does not offer any immediate benefits above the universal '30 Baht scheme', hospitals claim reimbursement of costs directly back from the government, rather than using their own revenue. This means that government workers may get preferential treatment, full tests, full treatment etc.

• Like 1

This guy claims he gets it.

nongsangcity

•  
  • nongsangcity
  • Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
On 2/24/2017 at 9:53 PM, Formaleins said:

So how did you manage to swing insurance on the 30 Baht scheme with a yellow book? I thought it had been cancelled a year ago.

i  have no idea....i go along every year to the local hospital....they check on the computer and they say yes,,,its all good....there was an increase this year for the medical i think i paid 2500 bht...had the full medical tests and was pleased to find out i wasnt having a baby...but they said the price for this current year mine is due 29th june has gone back down to 2200b,,,i use the service every two months for check up and tablets and its 30 b every time and all the info is stored on the hospital computer system...there are 2 others in this area on the same scheme.....1 smashed his ankle 3 operations, metal rods in his ankles....bill was 60000 b,,he showed his card and his bill was settled at 30 b....

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

nongsangcity

•  
  • nongsangcity
  • Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

i  have no idea....i go along every year to the local hospital....they check on the computer and they say yes,,,its all good....there was an increase this year for the medical i think i paid 2500 bht...had the full medical tests and was pleased to find out i wasnt having a baby...but they said the price for this current year mine is due 29th june has gone back down to 2200b,,,i use the service every two months for check up and tablets and its 30 b every time and all the info is stored on the hospital computer system...there are 2 others in this area on the same scheme.....1 smashed his ankle 3 operations, metal rods in his ankles....bill was 60000 b,,he showed his card and his bill was settled at 30 b....

This is the first time I have heard of a farang being able to renew his insurance bought on the old plan last year for 2200 Baht. The government hospital in Chiang Rai says no. Any other experience of being able to buy the insurance?

A couple of years back you could get some sort of Thai insurance (usually it tied you to your local government hospital) - They did however require that you had the Yellow Tabien Baan.

I tried to get on it at the time but I was still waiting for the Amphur to process the yellow book, but since then I had heard that it has been abandoned for foreigners.

I am going up to my local hospital in two weeks, so I will take my yellow book and seek out the office that was dealing with it and let you know what the score is.

I don't think it is anything as generous as the 30 Baht scheme, but I believed that it paid for all sorts of in patient basics like room and treatment, you still had to pay for outpatient and any medication.

25 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

This is the first time I have heard of a farang being able to renew his insurance bought on the old plan last year for 2200 Baht. The government hospital in Chiang Rai says no. Any other experience of being able to buy the insurance?

First time I'd heard of it also, but this guy's adamant that he still gets it. I even asked him if it was may be linked to being married to a Thai who works for a Government office but he says no. I still can't believe it but I'm not going to call him a liar.

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

nongsangcity

•  
  • nongsangcity
  • Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

As with everything government related in Thailand everyone makes up new rules on the spot it is up to the discretion of the respective hospital.

One hospital will sign you up without problem, while another just a few km away will tell you it isn't possible, but I think the general rule is that it is not available for foreigners unless they have legally worked in Thailand and had social security.

I think to recall that the scheme Nongsancity talks about was available a few years ago, but was recalled shortly afterwards. His hospital may have missed the memo.

• Like 2

I got handed a laminated card a few weeks ago, asked what it was and was told its to use at government hospitals to get cheap medical. Found that amusing as I have good private health coverage (paid for by my employer).

I guess my employer gives the cards to all employees, Thai and expat alike, I tossed the card in the bin.

Edited by Don Mega

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I think to recall that the scheme Nongsancity talks about was available a few years ago, but was recalled shortly afterwards. His hospital may have missed the memo.

I don't think so as he says they checked his registration on computer. I'm sure all government hospitals to be linked and the old set up for farangs would no longer be available for costing purposes.

nongsangcity replied to phibunmike's topic in Isaan Forum

my medical insurance with the yellow book is still running.....got a hospital appointment next tuesday which gives me time to find 30 baht for my 2 monthly blood pressure check up and tablets...this is my 5th year on the yellow book insurance.....hopefully get my 6th year this june ?

Edited by sinbin

Just now, sinbin said:

I don't think so as he says they checked his registration on computer. I'm sure all government hospitals to be linked and old set up for farangs would no longer be available for costing purposes.

Government hospitals are not linked by computer, nor are other state agencies.

My son is a Thai citizen and as so has the right on the 30 Baht scheme. If he needs to see a doctor that is not available in his registered hospital, he needs to get a referral to another government hospital.

For that he needs to get documents at his registered hospital and copy them umpteen times, same with his ID card, and hand them over at the hospital where he needs to be treated.

If they were connected the referral would just be in the data base, isn't it.

Furthermore, the referral is valid for 3 months, and if he needs follow ups of his treatment he has to make those same copies each and every time he visit that hospital.

That mean they aren't even capable to link the internal computers, and you think they can link hospitals 5555

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I got handed a laminated card a few weeks ago, asked what it was and was told its to use at government hospitals to get cheap medical. Found that amusing as I have good private health coverage (paid for by my employer).

I guess my employer gives the cards to all employees, Thai and expat alike, I tossed the card in the bin.

Same here with me. I have been given this laminated card for use in a government hospital. If my memory is correct, i have been getting this from my company for last 15 yrs, the card was changed twice because the affiliated hospital mentioned on the card was changed for administrative reasons. But as my family is covered quite well under BUPA by my employer, i have never had an occassion to use the card. Still, I would never throw it in the rubbish bin.

My Thai  wife pays an  annual subscription  to  the Thai  Social  Security for a  medical /accident  policy which for the  small  money  gives "apparently"  some  additional  benefits  for   medical hospital  admission and reduced  cost for  accident. The  30 bht scheme  does  not  cover Thais'  for   "accident", only  health issues. She  is  not a civil  service  employee.

She  has told  me that as  her  bona  fide' spouse I  am also able to  sign up  for same  even though  I am  farang. 

To  date I have not done so but am encouraged to do so  by this thread. I am interested to see if  it is  valid in entirety. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sinbin said:

First time I'd heard of it also, but this guy's adamant that he still gets it. I even asked him if it was may be linked to being married to a Thai who works for a Government office but he says no. I still can't believe it but I'm not going to call him a liar.

He is not the only one that I have heard about this...Maybe one Farang out there can tell us all how it all works.

8 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My Thai  wife pays an  annual subscription  to  the Thai  Social  Security for a  medical /accident  policy which for the  small  money  gives "apparently"  some  additional  benefits  for   medical hospital  admission and reduced  cost for  accident. The  30 bht scheme  does  not  cover Thais'  for   "accident", only  health issues. She  is  not a civil  service  employee.

She  has told  me that as  her  bona  fide' spouse I  am also able to  sign up  for same  even though  I am  farang. 

To  date I have not done so but am encouraged to do so  by this thread. I am interested to see if  it is  valid in entirety. 

Please let me know how it all works out for you...

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Spouses  cannot sign on if it is the regular SS system, only that for civil servants allows this.

It gives more than additional benefits, it pays in full for all medical care, inpatient and outpatient, but it is not an annual subscription, it is a monthly payroll deduction so it may be your wife has soem sort of private insurance policy in addition to the SS.

14 hours ago, Formaleins said:

A couple of years back you could get some sort of Thai insurance (usually it tied you to your local government hospital) - They did however require that you had the Yellow Tabien Baan.

I tried to get on it at the time but I was still waiting for the Amphur to process the yellow book, but since then I had heard that it has been abandoned for foreigners.

I am going up to my local hospital in two weeks, so I will take my yellow book and seek out the office that was dealing with it and let you know what the score is.

I don't think it is anything as generous as the 30 Baht scheme, but I believed that it paid for all sorts of in patient basics like room and treatment, you still had to pay for outpatient and any medication.

My friend told me he was covered by Thai government medical insurance as he has a work permit and employs Thais and pays Taxes, but he had to go to the local hospital .

Sometimes local hospitals can be sympathetic. A friend of mine had a heart attack a few years ago and received initial treatment to stabilise him at the local hospital. He was referred to a large regional hospital for an urgent necessary bypass operation, but he couldn't afford the 180,000 Baht fee needed. The doctor treating him at the local hospital signed him up to the '30 Baht' scheme, just for his heart related illness, and he was able to have the operation the following week for free.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Spouses  cannot sign on if it is the regular SS system, only that for civil servants allows this.

It gives more than additional benefits, it pays in full for all medical care, inpatient and outpatient, but it is not an annual subscription, it is a monthly payroll deduction so it may be your wife has soem sort of private insurance policy in addition to the SS.

She  pays  an annual subscription  to the  SS Office. It  is  a Government  scheme, not  private. The  annual payable cost is  1200 Bht as being  100 Bht  per  month.

"Thai government workers and ex-government workers have medical insurance to which they can also sign up one co-dependent (such as a spouse or other immediate family member). "

Under the Civil Service program for covered government employees, the family is covered, not just one person.  That would include spouse and children.

"The  30 bht scheme  does  not  cover Thais'  for   "accident", only  health issues."

That's incorrect.  It does cover accidents as well as health issues.

"My friend told me he was covered by Thai government medical insurance as he has a work permit and employs Thais and pays Taxes, but he had to go to the local hospital ."

That would be Social Security.

On 3/27/2017 at 5:13 PM, greg lewis said:

Yes !  I was married to a Thai Govt Nurse and was signed up and actually used it at times and some of it was a bit costly Medicine.  I was/am extremely grateful.

Experiencing the same now...

I had bypass surgery in Khon Kaen, expensive because of non Thai marriage the Prof * (HRH Sirikrit hearth center) told us.

If my wife would have been Thai the bill would be payed , how and by whom, i don't know, its not important.

This was 2015!

On 27 March, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Don Mega said:

Bad move. Read your own health plan. Some employment health plans are in excess of whatever local coverage is provided.

Just now, geriatrickid said:

Bad move. Read your own health plan. Some employment health plans are in excess of whatever local coverage is provided.

It is not an employment health plan it is full private cover that is paid for by my employer and it gives no farks for the crappy government cover.