Can a Farang get Thai Government Medicine Insurance?

doggie1955

It is for Thai nationals covered under either SS or the "gold card" system. Which will in turn reimburse the private hospital (though not at private rates).

Foreigners will still have to pay. There is no system to reimburse hospitals for care given to foreigners.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 3/27/2017 at 7:44 PM, janclaes47 said:

Government hospitals are not linked by computer, nor are other state agencies.

My son is a Thai citizen and as so has the right on the 30 Baht scheme. If he needs to see a doctor that is not available in his registered hospital, he needs to get a referral to another government hospital.

For that he needs to get documents at his registered hospital and copy them umpteen times, same with his ID card, and hand them over at the hospital where he needs to be treated.

If they were connected the referral would just be in the data base, isn't it.

Furthermore, the referral is valid for 3 months, and if he needs follow ups of his treatment he has to make those same copies each and every time he visit that hospital.

That mean they aren't even capable to link the internal computers, and you think they can link hospitals 5555

Similar experience within a government hospital. I show my hospital ID card, and get asked the same questions every time I go, or see a new doctor. Sometimes they look and find my information, but IT is not well developed here yet.
At the time the UC was extended to foreigners I have read that it was quite variable from hospital to hospital.
I have no problem believing that a given hospital continues to honor the scheme, especially if it is an area without hordes of frail farangs seriously battering their bottom line.
I was just the other day at the government hospital in Mae Hong Son to see an opthamologist for a diabetic eye exam. I was charged 220 baht. I paid 520 baht for my fan who had a couple of additional tests.... not all services are covered under the 30 baht scheme, it seems.
Still, less than $25 for both of us, I ain't complaining! 
As I have said before, if the Thai government would bring back coverage for foreigners under the UC scheme, but at a reasonable premium, i.e. enough to sustain the system, and maybe a co-pay arrangement, I would be very happy. 

• 10 months later...

There is no change re government. Their priority is Thai citizens. There is a scheme for migrant workers from neighboring countries. Nothing for resident expats other than private i surance options --- unless legally working with a work permit in which case you are eligible for the Social Security scheme and on e in itfor a year can maintain it for life even after you stop working.

As to private insurance options this subject has been extensively covered in innumerable prior threads. You should contact a good broker for detailed comparative listings. Suggest AA brokers.

"Good" and "a fortune"are subjective and relative terms. No insurance policy worth having is cheap. Costs vary by age, policy and whether you can afford to accept a deductible (excess) or copay. Costs will rise as you age....as of course will the likelihood of needing to use the insurance.

Do not get annual cover of less than 3 million baht and make sure your policy does not exclude chronic diseases. If you are planning to live out your old age here make sure as well that it guarantees lifetime renewal and that rates increases are not affected by claims history or changes in health status. These last considerations usually mean an internationally based rather than Thai based insurer (though some of the latter have offices in Thailand).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As a rule, if you are over 60 you can not buy a new health insurance policy. If you already have, they simply renew on a yearly basis. They can refuse to renew if they wish based on experience.

Not sure why the government does not offer this insurance like they did before. When the military took over they cancelled and failed to renew. Payment would ease the load on hospitals that have patients that have no insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DonaldBattles said:

As a rule, if you are over 60 you can not buy a new health insurance policy. If you already have, they simply renew on a yearly basis. They can refuse to renew if they wish based on experience.

Not sure why the government does not offer this insurance like they did before. When the military took over they cancelled and failed to renew. Payment would ease the load on hospitals that have patients that have no insurance.

1. This is not correct. There are many insurers who will issue new policies after the age of 60. Some even after the age of 80.  Thai companies usually will not, but no reason to use a Thai company. Get an internationally issued expat policy.

2. The government never intended to offer this insurance to resident expats, what happened is that the wording of a scheme designed for migrant workers from neighboring countries was so vague that it was taken by many provinces to mean any foreigner. Once the central Ministry realized this they issued a clarification. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Junta.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1. This is not correct. There are many insurers who will issue new policies after the age of 60. Some even after the age of 80.  Thai companies usually will not, but no reason to use a Thai company. Get an internationally issued expat policy.

2. The government never intended to offer this insurance to resident expats, what happened is that the wording of a scheme designed for migrant workers from neighboring countries was so vague that it was taken by many provinces to mean any foreigner. Once the central Ministry realized this they issued a clarification. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Junta.

And  for some time  after provincial administrations failed  to heed  that clarification...and some still do, perhaps with discretional motive.

What  many  ( expats) do not realize is that even for Thai there is a difference in Hospital cost in health issues  and  "accident" issues.

Hence the often poorly arbitrated "compensation"  negotiations.

April -- My Health International (based in France. Do not confusr with April thailand policies).

Cigna Global

David Shield (cut off for new policies is I believe 64 or 65).

AXA several different policies

ACS

Globality Health

Pacific Cross

And many more. It is rare for an international insurer to have an enrollment cut off earlier than age 65.

Please work with a broker. Suggest AA Brokers. There are important differences across policies. Broker will provide comparidon charts of options.

On April 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Sheryl said:

It is for Thai nationals covered under either SS or the "gold card" system. Which will in turn reimburse the private hospital (though not at private rates).

Foreigners will still have to pay. There is no system to reimburse hospitals for care given to foreigners.

Hi Sheryl

you responded above to an article 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310958

I don't expect you to know every last detail of the rules here, but just wonder if I may be covered as I am uninsured, but although I'm British I'm a Thai taxpayer. Just thinking I might be able to receive as well as give,

thanks

Edited by cheeryble

Hi Sheryl
you responded above to an article 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310958

I don't expect you to know every last detail of the rules here, but just wonder if I may be covered as I am uninsured, but I'm a Thai taxpayer. Just thinking I might be able to receive as well as give, I've had a couple of moderately expensive under 72 hour treatments totalling in the last year.

thanks
Paying taxes per se does not entitle you to health cover.

If you are employed by other than a private school you should be covered under the Social Security system. You would be having funds deducted from your pay each month and be registered under the scheme at 1 specific hospital.

The law you cite (1) is very poorly enforced ; (2) pertains to you only if you are covered undet Social Security; and (3) refers only to life and death emergencies in which it is not possible to safely transfer you to the hospital you are registered at under SS. It does not apply to care under any other circumstance and certainly not to all short duration hospitalizations.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Paying taxes per se does not entitle you to health cover.

If you are employed by other than a private school you should be covered under the Social Security system. You would be having funds deducted from your pay each month and be registered under the scheme at 1 specific hospital.

The law you cite (1) is very poorly enforced ; (2) pertains to you only if you are covered undet Social Security; and (3) refers only to life and death emergencies in which it is not possible to safely transfer you to the hospital you are registered at under SS. It does not apply to care under any other circumstance and certainly not to all short duration hospitalizations.

Thanks Sheryl

Not the answer i wanted but a clear answer none the less.

While I've got you may I ask....

I saw the GI Doc at a private hospital last week. I have no symptoms or occluded blood but intend to have my first colonoscopy a bit late aged 70. My wife who works at the hospital had mentioned a likely cost for me (I tend to get discounts there through her) She just told me prices had gone up and it might be worth me trying to save some money. (as I said I'm self insured). A friend of mine long time frugal but knowledgeable expat here said he got his colonoscopy via Maharat public route. It took a little waiting one day but he got a fixed appointment time for the procedure....ie no more waiting. I believe he paid something like 5 to 7000bt. I had expected to pay 13k or so elsewhere with a discount but it may be up to 25k now. I'm OK enjoying myself reading or writing while I wait for a couple of hours to save 10 or 20k

This at Maharat seems to be somewhere between public and private.

Any comment?

i have married whit goverment office worker thai wife, and i has now last year need go to hospital problems my footh, i has in hospital now 3 time 2 week, and many many time meet doctor, footh has cutting and cost 70 000 b but i need pay only 2400 b because im marry coverment office worker, coverment pay all my hospital bill, about now 160 000 b all this year but i has pay only difference, private room, coverment pay room max 800 b/day and private room cost 1200 b/day i pay only 400b /day my private room and little piece medicines too. local hospital has private room 800b /day and i no need pay this nothing. all other coverment pay. simple cheap and no newer need insurance again. smart men select good wife haha looking first were woman work then start socialize and marry haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

April -- My Health International (based in France. Do not confusr with April thailand policies).

Cigna Global

David Shield (cut off for new policies is I believe 64 or 65).

AXA several different policies

ACS

Globality Health

Pacific Cross

And many more. It is rare for an international insurer to have an enrollment cut off earlier than age 65.

Please work with a broker. Suggest AA Brokers. There are important differences across policies. Broker will provide comparidon charts of options.

Are these companies all located in Thailand? I live in Thailand not Europe.

Are these companies all located in Thailand? I live in Thailand not Europe.

Obviously you live in Thailand.

These companies all have Expat policies which will cover you in Thailand. Expat policies are specifically designed for people living in other than their country of nationality.

It is not at all the case that one has to buy insurance from a Thai company to be insured in Thailand and usually better not to.

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks Sheryl

Not the answer i wanted but a clear answer none the less.

While I've got you may I ask....

I saw the GI Doc at a private hospital last week. I have no symptoms or occluded blood but intend to have my first colonoscopy a bit late aged 70. My wife who works at the hospital had mentioned a likely cost for me (I tend to get discounts there through her) She just told me prices had gone up and it might be worth me trying to save some money. (as I said I'm self insured). A friend of mine long time frugal but knowledgeable expat here said he got his colonoscopy via Maharat public route. It took a little waiting one day but he got a fixed appointment time for the procedure....ie no more waiting. I believe he paid something like 5 to 7000bt. I had expected to pay 13k or so elsewhere with a discount but it may be up to 25k now. I'm OK enjoying myself reading or writing while I wait for a couple of hours to save 10 or 20k

This at Maharat seems to be somewhere between public and private.

Any comment?

Maharat is a government hospital and indeed, colonoscopy will be much less expensive there.

There is a semi-private outpatient facility linked to it called Sripat,

I'm not sure in CM but in Bangkok the private hospitals are charging 25-35 k for colonoscopy these days. And that is not counting biopsy of any lesions that are removed in the process. Ridiculous price IMO but so it goes.