Drought in Chiang Mai?

narkeddiver

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The dam I posted about above has room for many more millions of liters, but as the level is dropping all the time due to people using the water, only more rain will fill it up

Its dry season now, so the water level drops .

When the rainy season comes, it will fill up again

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Its dry season now, so the water level drops .

When the rainy season comes, it will fill up again

Belies the questions when if and how much. I will not give up on you brother. 

Edited by elgordo38

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont have any photos of the roads being built

But the Chiang Rai by pass has just been completed , the road from Chiang rai airport going somewhere is now being built , both four lane dual carriage ways

The roads around Chiang saen are either being made new, or widened to dual carriage ways

The road between Chiang mai and Maesai is gradually being widened in places and new bridges being built along the way .

Roads are being torn up and relaid with a drainage system in CM.

There is a constant up grades of roads in the north .

Keep trying to convince me young fella. If you know any of the powers that be tell them that we have a real problem INSIDE of Chiang Mai itself its called a transportation problem. Cities are the lifeblood of a country. From what your telling me they are doing a good job of ruining precious vegetation to build roads to full fill future needs. They do have a priority problem or some contractor is connected. 

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Keep trying to convince me young fella. If you know any of the powers that be tell them that we have a real problem INSIDE of Chiang Mai itself its called a transportation problem. Cities are the lifeblood of a country. From what your telling me they are doing a good job of ruining precious vegetation to build roads to full fill future needs. They do have a priority problem or some contractor is connected. 

All cities and towns the World over have transportation issues .

Chiang mai isnt too bad .

Certain areas get snarled up , especially during rush hour

There has recently been a bus service in CM implemented , if this gets expended and people use that for transportation, congestion will ease .

People also using Uber will get the taxis , tuk tuks and songheaws off the roads, which will further ease congestion, as they most drive around all day empty , causing traffic jams and pollution

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Time to consider putting in a cactus and rock area. Do they sell artificial turf here?? Be prepared for the eventuality of less rain. Get out ahead of the curve. 

I thought your posts were prickly enough already without bringing cacti in.:sorry:

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Mae Kuang Dam much higher than last year. We have not suffered any water cutoffs this year. Canals still getting regular supplies.

http://www.maekuangudomthara.com/home

Click on the graph, and it will open a window with the current situation in color.

This year's curve is the red one, steadily trending downward, which is not surprising given that the Mae Kuang Dam is used for irrigation and Chiang Mai's tap water. You're correct that it's much higher this year, after a decent rainy season last year (the purple line). I watched this nearly every day during the rainy season in 2015 and never saw it go above 13%, so last year was a relief. The legend shows the reservoir currently at 23.x%, with almost 47 million cubic meters available of the 61 million cubic meters total. They can't drain it below 14 million cubic meters.

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

Theres quite an obvious answer and no need to question it .

During the dry season, water is scarce

Well scare isnt really the right word , as theres usually still plenty of water

Just sometimes the water pressure isnt as high as it is during the rainy season

It water did become scare , the authorities should build huge reservoirs to store the water from the rainy season, but, as yet, that isnt necessary at the moment

I am mulling around in my mind if your just naive or a naive troll. 

4 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Click on the graph, and it will open a window with the current situation in color.

This year's curve is the red one, steadily trending downward, which is not surprising given that the Mae Kuang Dam is used for irrigation and Chiang Mai's tap water. You're correct that it's much higher this year, after a decent rainy season last year (the purple line). I watched this nearly every day during the rainy season in 2015 and never saw it go above 13%, so last year was a relief. The legend shows the reservoir currently at 23.x%, with almost 47 million cubic meters available of the 61 million cubic meters total. They can't drain it below 14 million cubic meters.

Impressive

46 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I am mulling around in my mind if your just naive or a naive troll. 

Well, it isnt "mulling in your mind" is it 

Youve written a post about it .

Just another of your constant digs at me 

Why do you feel the need to speak to me in a derogatory way ?

5 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Thank you for that link.

Here are a couple more that may be of use to people in most areas of Thailand.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

If you click on the dam you want to look at  then click on information you can get up to 3 years of information on storage levels, inflows and outflows.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that link.

If you click on the dam you want to look at  then click on information you can get up to 3 years of information on storage levels, inflows and outflows.

Thanks for the technical support. I can look at these technical reports and not tell the difference between them and the landscape on Mars. I am one of those types that buy "requires assembly" products and always has parts left over. I have so much pride in myself I throw the assembly diagram in the garbage. 

Edited by elgordo38

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that link.

Thanks for those links..... very interesting!

5 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

Thanks for all the useful links - looks like things are generally ok up here but I wish they'd do some planning based on the rains being late / poor this year

What planning are you proposing ? Use less water for Irrigation ? Drinking ? Bathing ?

4 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

Thanks for all the useful links - looks like things are generally ok up here but I wish they'd do some planning based on the rains being late / poor this year

Down here in rural Khampaeng Phet the weather is pretty much average for the time of year with the added bonus of a few heavy rains and storms to keep the water flowing.

The government can make as many plans as they want. But unless they can physically control the water access, the plans don't work due to many farmers ignoring the government recommendations and planting a second rice crop, then begging the government for compensation if it fails.