Building blocks for the future

webfact

Building blocks for the future
By KUPLUTHAI PUNGKANON
THE NATION

c5676742928c7501c2994e76ddeb369a-sld.jpe

A major foreign corporation in Pathum Thani provides solid training and career opportunities for orphaned and abandoned kids

PATHUM THANI: -- ESTABLISHED in 1963 to mark the third cycle birthday of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the Maharaj Foundation Home for Boys in Pathum Thani’s Thanyaburi district has provided a safe refuge for abandoned and orphaned boys for more than 50 years. 

Today it is taking that nurturing a step further by formally partnering with Fabrinet, a leader in the manufacture and export of precision optical, electro-mechanical process technologies, automotive sensors and medical equipment, to provide internships, training and career opportunities for young graduates. 

Officially opened on April 13, 1965 with a personal donation of Bt9.95 million from the King, the home is currently under the supervision of the Social Development and Human Security Ministry’s Department of Children and Youth. 

Its purpose is to help support boys aged six to 18 who are orphaned, left alone, poor or living in desperate situations by providing basic needs along with education, both academic and vocational, as well as instilling a strong moral and ethical character.

Fabrinet’s chief executive , David Mitchell and his family have been involved with the foundation for more than a decade. “Twelve years ago, my wife decided that the two of us along with our three sons should provide support to the operation. We started by coming here every Sunday and teaching the boys how to read English. That support expanded to include the company, which provides internships for boys finishing high school,” he explains.

1d8641d43acf69632282f872c69f1c3a.jpeg

The company also has a corporate social programme that sponsors less-fortunate kids, teaching them English and playing games, and has donated US$100,000 (Bt3.5 million) towards much-needed renovations.

“The internship program is very important because it puts them on the road to a career,” adds Harpal Gill, the company’s president. 

“It’s a one-year programme that can lead to a full-time job. They first six months are spent both in class and under the supervision of many departments. After that they can choose the area that they enjoy the most. For the next six months, they receive more intensive training in that area and at the end of the year we offer them full-time employment. We continue to support them if they decide to further their education and work towards a Bachelor’s degree,” he says.

“Forty-six years ago, I went through a similar programme in England, I joined the company as an apprentice, went through the training, studied for a Bachelor’s and eventually earned my doctorate. The training I received during the internship is still useful today. So I believe that we are giving these children and young people a good opportunity to grow and to establish themselves, be independent and hold down a career. That’s why we started the internship. Right now, it’s just for the boys from the foundation and we hope it will inspire other companies to sponsor the children from other orphanages. There are a lot of companies here and if we all work together, it should be possible to help a lot of young people become successful,” Gill adds. 

Praising Thailand for its support to Fabrinet over the years, Mitchell says: “Our commitment is to give back to Thailand all it given us. We appreciate the Thai government and the Thai people for their support of our corporation. I’ve also been touched by the boys I helped with their reading. 

Many have now graduated from college and some have returned here as teachers. It is really rewarding for our company, myself and my staff to show how much can be done if you really believe in helping people. 

We hope to stimulate other companies to follow our lead and do the same for society. 

“My sons now are 26, 24, and 21, so they were quite young when we started coming to the foundation. And they were happy to commit their Sundays to help these boys learn English. And of course they also liked the picnic at the end of every session! Today they are |very proud of this project,” Mitchell says.

“The important point to stress here is that these children do not have the same opportunities and education than more fortunate kids. So they need the opportunities. We believe that they are capable and if they are given the opportunities, they will excel.” Gill adds.

“Formalising this agreement is the final piece of the puzzle because the boys who train here then go on to college are guaranteed employment in a major corporation. They can be trainers, engineers, accountants or supervisors,” Mitchell says. 

“Or even president of the company,” Gill laughs. 

“When you run a programme like this for underprivileged children, it shows them that there are good things in life. There are still a lot of good people and there is always hope. Even if these boys have experienced unfortunate beginnings, they have a future to look forward to. They can accomplish a lot,” Gill concludes. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/life/art_culture/30310452

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-28

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

I work with a Thailand gentleman who worked for a small foreign company in Bangkok.  The owners liked him, but they could not speak Thai, so they arranged for him to learn English.  He now thrives. 

As ye sow so shall ye reap. A great read this morning rather uplifting. The milk of human kindness has not truly dried up. I am sure there are more of these stories out there would love to hear them to water down some of the depressive topics.