Donepezil Aricept less expensive substitute

Mike45

My mother in law is on Donepezil from the government hospital at over $6000 baht for 6 weeks of medication. She is in rough shape after her stroke a year ago and has responded well to this medication.

I'm hoping to find something less expensive for her.

I did a Google search and found donepezil only costs $12 for 30 pills in the USA so I'm confused by the cost here in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

There is virtually no prescription medication in the US that costs only $12 for 30 pills. More likely your search led you to an online pharmacy selling generics from India and the like.

What brand is your MIL getting? As this drug comes in both imported and locally made brands.  Local brands are Dopezil and Tonezip.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:00 PM, Sheryl said:

There is virtually no prescription medication in the US that costs only $12 for 30 pills. More likely your search led you to an online pharmacy selling generics from India and the like.

What brand is your MIL getting? As this drug comes in both imported and locally made brands.  Local brands are Dopezil and Tonezip.

The box says Aricept 10mg.

Yesterday the doctor was asked for Tonezip and he replied that the brand that she is being given is the only one that is  carried in Thai government hospitals. 

Then he decided to take her off the drug completely. 

Aricept is indeed expensive. Surprising that the hospital carries only that brand though.

Chances are it has done what good it could. Its use post-strokes is still experimental (though in advanced stages of study)  and the improvement seems to be time-bound i.e. diminishing returns about about 2 months if treatment.

Archived