Thais Ease Measures On Currency

Buckwheat

Thailand is to ease controls on foreign investment in the stock market after shares suffered their worst daily fall in 16 years and closed down 14.8%.

The Nation reports an even more shocking headline:

Panic as stock market records biggest crash in its 31-year history

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/20/hea...es_30022045.php

Thailand is to ease controls on foreign investment in the stock market after shares suffered their worst daily fall in 16 years and closed down 14.8%.

The Nation reports an even more shocking headline:

Panic as stock market records biggest crash in its 31-year history

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/20/hea...es_30022045.php

Could somone please tell me in laymans terms(never good at economics)does this bode well for tourists-self centered interest here-arriving saturday for three weeks.

Does one get more baht for USD/GBP.My thoughts go to the small guy investor who seems to have lost a lot recently on the stocks

Does it really matter what they say today? the lack of faith in Thai financial markets will now be enormous.

I think it is amazing how pathetically stupid the decision was int he first place - - - did they even study the basic principles of economics before deciding they could be so high-handed about foreign investment. The inflated self-worth of these morons is amazing.

Not only have they bugegerd their own stock marlet but they have caused a ripple effect in Asia - who started the Tiger Bubble to burst due to their infantile policies and decsions??????

Why bother spending lots of money studying overseas when the results are simply dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

And Thaksin would not be laughing as his value would have just been reduced by hundreds of millions - not really a reason for jocularity.

JohnShaw - it means the baht will drop and you will get more value for your dollar/sterling/euro.

This whole scenario is just so pathetic - Thaksin must be splitting his sides with laughter

Why would Thaksin be splitting his sides with laughter?

Don't you think the 14.8% drop effected his stock holdings too?

Dear dear Buckwheat, do you really think that a temporary 14.8% drop in stock holdings for a man who is one of the richest in Asia is cause to lose sleep, methinks not. When I said that he must be splitting his sides I had imagined him holding the authors of the current scenario in such high regard for their economic savvy that he can hardly contain himself!