New passport authenticity letter?

Hello, l've lived in Nongkhai for more than 4 years now and today I went down to the immigration office here to ask some questions about getting a passport, when I visit Canada in about 6 weeks. I was told that I needed a letter from the Canadian embassy (there is no Canadian embassy in Canada) that would prove that I am the same person on both of these passports (old and new). I'm a little mystified by this request. My neighbor, a Englishman, told me that he too was asked to get one on these authenticity letters. He said he spent time and money in London only to be told that the British government did not issue any letters like this (I didn't ask him which office he got this info from). When he returned to this immigration office to have his visa transfered from the old passport to the new one, he told them what he had learned about the letter in London. Apparently, nothing else was said and no letter was needed in his case. Can anyone clarify this situation, do I need this letter and if I do where would I acquire it from? Thanks

It might take a less actions to get a new passport and such a letter at Canadian Embassy in Bkk, then go to the Immigration Office and just ask them to transfer your entry stamp + last visa + last extentions to the new passport.

I did it a week ago in NONG KAI (lol) Imm Office. It took 10 min, none asked any questions.

Russian passport, Non-B- visa.

Edited by blanes2007

Greetings from a fellow Canadian. Canada does it differently than most other countries discussed on this forum. When you get your new passport, they will return your old passport to you. On the "Observations" page (near the front of the PP) in the old  passport will be a rubber stamp saying "This passport has been replaced by Passport # xxxxxx; please transfer the stamps accordingly."

Relax ! If they will do it for a Russian, they'll do it for you !

Edited by allane

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Your Embassy in Thailand should issue such letter - it is standard from USA Embassy if you apply for a passport through them.  

Is this recent?  I got my new passport in Bangkok a few years ago and did not get any letter.

When I went to immigration they said I would need a letter, but let me move everything over and for me to just go get it and come back sometime in the future.  I never did as I had no time to go all the way down to Bangkok, haven't had any trouble on subsequent visits

I Too live in Nong Khai, I've NEVER Needed any letter to have stamps transferred from one passport to a new passport,Done it 7 Years ago & Now that passport is FULL,So have to get another New Passport & Do it again later this Summer,I Can't see me having any Problems.......LOL !!!

The British Embassy in Bangkok issues the "pro forma visa transfer letter" free of cost, either by collection at the embassy gatehouse or they will EMS post it to you. It can only be issued up to one month in advance of use. I confirmed all this in the last two days with the embassy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk