Immunizations

Jamie

I believe a topic similar to this may have been posted a while ago, but I think it was related to just certain immunity shots.

I called my doctor explaining that I am planning on traveling to Thailand in early spring and wanted to find out what shots I would be needing. The nurse got back to me and gave a list of recommended shots. These include:

Hep A

Hep B

Malaria

Typhoid

Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) booster

Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis (DTP) booster

I will be spending around a week in Bangkok so I'm not sure if I am really needing all these. I will be spending the time with my lady friend and her family so I'm not going to be doing anything wild other than trying different foods.

Hi Jamie, I have been coming to Thailand for 16 years and I never get any shots of any kind. I also travel through out Cambodia, Laos and other South East Asian countries with out anything and do it for long periods of time. At one time I took some malaria tablets for when I was trekking in the North around hill tribe villages but that's all. All my other farang ex pat friends who live in Thailand also don't get any shots. Having said that I am not a Doctor and ultimately it will be your choice whether you get any of those shots or not, cheers.

Thanks all...perhaps I won't be needing any immunizations then.

I've never had any either, it always amused me how tourists would have all those injections and pills and come armed with a medicine chest suitable for an army thinking they were covered for any event then went out, hired a motorcyle which they had never riden before and set off with their family on the back without a helmet.

You wont meet malaria in bangkok, check out how you can catch HepA & B and avoid the practises.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Thanks all...perhaps I won't be needing any immunizations then.

That's like saying.... "I won't be going out much, perhaps I don't need travel insurance"

I don't carry around a bag of pills, but as a doctor in Korat told me "If you can get vaccinated against it, do it"

P.S. you missed off Rabies........ nah, the chances of that are so slim why bother........ you should bother, because prevention is better than cure, however unlikely the chances are.

Thaddeus,

Actually I didn't forget about rabies. The nurse said it would be a good idea mainly if I am going to be doing a lot of hiking, cave exploring etc.

Yes, caves have bats.

Guess what Bangkok has lots of, granted there is more chance of contracting something nasty outside of the city, but rabies has yet to be eradicated in Bangkok (a five year plan was started by the Thai Red Cross in 2003)

If there is any chance, no matter how slim, and the effective way to avoid it is a simple injection..... well, up to you.

I too have never bothered with any additional shot's or treatments specifically for my jaunts through S-E-A.

I've had hep A before (contracted in Australia) it's bloody unpleasant, and worth avoiding at all costs.

I also take care not to let mozzies get into me by using some top shelf repellant, and appropriate clothing for the conditions.

I believe a topic similar to this may have been posted a while ago, but I think it was related to just certain immunity shots.

I called my doctor explaining that I am planning on traveling to Thailand in early spring and wanted to find out what shots I would be needing. The nurse got back to me and gave a list of recommended shots. These include:

Hep A

Hep B

Malaria

Typhoid

Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) booster

Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis (DTP) booster

I will be spending around a week in Bangkok so I'm not sure if I am really needing all these. I will be spending the time with my lady friend and her family so I'm not going to be doing anything wild other than trying different foods.

How long are you going to be in LOS?

You missed Japanese Encephalitus off the list but that is only prevalent during a certain time of year (can't remember when).

When I mobilised to LOS in '92 the company doc made sure we all had Hep A & B, Typhoid and J.E. but the others never got mentioned. Left in '04 never having had another jab nor going down with anything worse than a dose of the Tom Tits a couple of times. It really depends on whereabouts your lady friends family live and how susceptible you are to illnesses.

Also there is Dengue fever but I don't know if there's a jab for that. That sickie can be a real b@st@rd as a mate of mine found out (2 weeks in PIC).

For me I wouldn't bother but if you tend to be prone to minor ailments it's probably best for peace of mind if nothing else. Although you don't plan to be doing anything wild you don't want to have to miss out on an opportunity just over a lousy couple of pn pricks.

For the different foods bring, or have available, Immodium or equal. There's nothing worse on a holiday than having to spend time always within 50 metres of a bog.

As a rider here I have to say I am not a clinician but do work for a very large MNC vaccine company in the region.

Our Dr's minimum reccomendations for business travel are as follows

Hep A and B

DTP booster

MMR (if you are not naturally immune - I had them all as a kid so no need)

Flu

I have added on Typhoid mainly for a visit to India.

No Dengue Fever available yet - hopefully in a couple of years and currently being trialled in Thailand

If I was only in BKK then no JE, Rabies or Malaria prophylaxis

Have you ever had the flue? I did a few years back and I was OUT for three weeks! As a result I take the shot every year, if you can avoid the flu by a few € and a sting in your arm that is cheap and a bliss. At the same time I have taken what I can in terms of shots so now I am covered of everything but Jap enf and rabies. Small price to pay and you will be so SORY if you get anything that you could have taken precautions against with just pocket money and a few minutes of time!

Viking

1 week in bangkok youll need no jabs. im full on backpacker and you can bank on that.

hep a is good to have for long haul and hep b if you are planning to have sex. they have vax called twinnex = a+b.

of course ...tetnus is more important than the other shots you have mentioned and you might as well get the dpt which incls polio (booster).

you have NO need for japE (which is also a 2 month/3jab $$$ process and only needed in RURAL areas around livestock. dengue - no jab and it is endemic to s.e.a.doctors are totally clueless when it comes to these things. best to ask on the TT board or the like (TT, kh440, bootsnall...).

you also might want to "chance it" ;-p and get your shots in bkk, they are very cheap. tray bkk adventist. you can get there on bus #511 that runs from sukhumvhit to ksr.

flu shot is waste of time and money 60% of the time, typhoid vax only needed 'in season' and thought to be somewhat ineffective - ie cheap insurance but nothing to bank on (eg leave infected area immediately).

have fun

Edited by jinjok

In places like Bangkok and Pattaya, immunisations are not really needed. However, I would definately have HEP A and HEP B. These are quite easily picked up - Hep A through sewerage and bad water. HEP B via body fluids. A symptom of HEP B is yellowing of the whites of the eyes. Just for the sake of a few minuties at a doctors surgery yo might as well have them. Err on the side of caution.

"1 week in bangkok youll need no jabs. im full on backpacker and you can bank on that."

Because you know more than the top vaccine research Dr's I work with right ;-))))))))

This has really made me laugh out loud - thank you so much.

"hep a is good to have for long haul and hep b if you are planning to have sex. they have vax called twinnex = a+b."

Its actually called Twinrix and B is not just for sex - as a matter of interest if you have any vaccine that ends with "Rix" it is a Glaxo vaccine out of their HQ in Rixensart in Belgium (not all might have been developed there but they have taken them forward - many have been developed there as well though - the majority)

IE Haverix, Engerix, Fluarix, Typherix etc etc

It gets better

"dengue - no jab and it is endemic to s.e.a.doctors are totally clueless when it comes to these things. Better to ask on Thorntree"

At first I thought you were just a bit thick but now I am worried about you.

PS: I know personally a very very good Thai Dr who knows a great deal about this and is working in the trials for a Dengue jab.

Edited by Prakanong

1 week in bangkok youll need no jabs. im full on backpacker and you can bank on that.

hep a is good to have for long haul and hep b if you are planning to have sex. they have vax called twinnex = a+b.

of course ...tetnus is more important than the other shots you have mentioned and you might as well get the dpt which incls polio (booster).

you have NO need for japE (which is also a 2 month/3jab $$$ process and only needed in RURAL areas around livestock. dengue - no jab and it is endemic to s.e.a.doctors are totally clueless when it comes to these things. best to ask on the TT board or the like (TT, kh440, bootsnall...).

you also might want to "chance it" ;-p and get your shots in bkk, they are very cheap. tray bkk adventist. you can get there on bus #511 that runs from sukhumvhit to ksr.

flu shot is waste of time and money 60% of the time, typhoid vax only needed 'in season' and thought to be somewhat ineffective - ie cheap insurance but nothing to bank on (eg leave infected area immediately).

have fun

Jinjok

This is a serious question and I am asking permission to use your post in a presentation.