Do you offer alm food to monk?

Blablaboy

My wife and I sometimes give alms to the monks and shall be doing so this morning as a sort of thanksgiving.That is fine by me as long as it is not taken to excess-which my mother in law is prone to do.

The local ramshackle rural temple here is staffed by about seven monks who appear to have about the same role as the  parish priests in the European Middle Ages and most of the food seems to be redistributed to the village poor on a daily basis.

Neither my wife nor I give donations to temples which appear to be overly wealthy.Strangely enough the most obscene display of wealth that I have seen was in the cathedral in Toledo.All that gold acquired from the blood,sweat and tears of the mercilessly exploited Indians of Central and South America...it required little imagination to work out that the glorification of the Christian god was based upon boundless human misery.

Edited by Odysseus123
grammar.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human are always like to look things at negative point of view and love to criticize when come to their religion is better than other, because of egoic self which is me and mine, so they think they are always on the right side. This the nature of the mind. The Buddha teach us to let go, first start with our physical possession which are not permanent and also let go of our mental possession which are selfishness, ego and etc etc..

If you could look thing on the positive way, properly you will be a happy person. Those who criticize properly having a bad day or stress toward their life.

I understand that in Thailand, there is alot of people putting on Orange robe to make some advantages out of it, but I believe there is still alot of good practicing monk out there living in the forest that you normally dont see them. Most of you encounter are city monk.

32 minutes ago, Blablaboy said:

Human are always like to look things at negative point of view and love to criticize when come to their religion is better than other, because of egoic self which is me and mine, so they think they are always on the right side. This the nature of the mind. The Buddha teach us to let go, first start with our physical possession which are not permanent and also let go of our mental possession which are selfishness, ego and etc etc..

If you could look thing on the positive way, properly you will be a happy person. Those who criticize properly having a bad day or stress toward their life.

I understand that in Thailand, there is alot of people putting on Orange robe to make some advantages out of it, but I believe there is still alot of good practicing monk out there living in the forest that you normally dont see them. Most of you encounter are city monk.

Out of 100 monks, my guess would be:

1 good, real monk

9 bad people

90 not good not bad, but not real monks, not even real buddhists

What would be your guess?

4 hours ago, Blablaboy said:

Some of  us grew  up and dont need the fantasy that is religion at  all

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

1 good, real monk

9 bad people

It depends on where you live. In the city maybe you are correct but in rural Thailand perhaps the other way around.

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

1 good, real monk

9 bad people

out of 100

3 sincere

the rest nothing more than charlatans and/or criminals